Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gremlin seeks DVDR advice

Copy Protection has been discussed in this thread from time to time. My post of December 4, 2007 describes the problem. I will quote one of my posts from March 22 2008:

"Time-shifting devices such as your DVD recorder should continue to function in the same way as they do now.

The situation might change if TCM or cable or satellite services implement copyright protection that may restrict or prevent home-recording. This is a very real concern.

Due to future uncertainties my suggestion is to record now all that you may want to have in your personal archive."

Since that time more frequent and widespread CP situations have been reported on the AVS Forum.

I've just set up my new Magnavox H2160 HDD/DVD recorder, purchased online from WalMart. With this purchase I continue to hope that CP doesn't overtake TCM.

The "Maggie's" first recordings will be the eight "Pre-Codes" in the Anita Page Memorial Tribute. The first two movies are bulk scheduled as a single three hour LP recording (for later high speed dubbing to one DVD); the remaining six movies (totaling around 10.5 hours) are scheduled individually at SP (recording lengths between 1:30 and 2:00 per movie for later edits and high speed dubbing to six DVDs). I backed up the starting time of Our Blushing Brides enough to include the tightly scheduled "From The Vaults" Ronald Colman/Gov. C.C. Young feature concerning "The New Talkie Season." The Dogway Melody fits the time slot paired with The Broadway Melody.

TalkieTime

I'm assuming my years old TCM movies will transfer to DVD without a problem? Boy, I hope so.

On CP, though, would it explain the awful problem I have had lately with VHS tape playback? As noted, I do recordings of television shows on VHS tape for a onetime viewing, and the distortion can _not_ be fixed using the tracking device on the Panasonic DVD player remote.

Or, talkietime, am I doing something wrong?

Primosprimos,

There is a possibility that CP coding on your videotaped recordings may be the problem. There are other conditions that may also affect playback quality.

The physical condition of videotape has much to do with the quality of playback. From time to time this topic has been discussed at the AVS Forum. My ?dubbing project? post and others in that thread touch upon that subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13955310#post13955310

More recent and detailed videotape discussions (found before and after my post) may be accessed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14972104#post14972104

A TCM post (dated March 3, 2008 and found in this "Gremlin" thread) responds to questions from Movieman1957. One question concerned ?Removing Interference.? I quote the relevant portion of my response:

(Perhaps) ?your DMR-ES35V is not set with a compatible setting for your TV. To check this go to FUNCTIONS, OTHER FUNCTIONS, SETUP, TV SCREEN. For detailed information see the Operating Instructions, page 18 (Selecting television type), page 21 (Removing Interference), page 37 (Video menu-Change picture quality, and page 68 (Progressive/Interlace).?

If you no longer have the DMR-ES35V Operating Instructions that manual may be downloaded here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Operating-Instructions

The DMR-ES35V has a modulated output. That may have something to do with the problem you?ve encountered. Two of my posts (dated June 29, 2008 and found in this "Gremlin" thread) respond to questions from MissGoddess. One of those posts deals with "modulated" and "unmodulated" outputs. I quote the most relevant portion from one of those posts:

?Most, if not all DVD combo recorders have a modulated RF output. This means that whatever signal is fed to the combo recorder's RF input is passed through to the RF output unless the machine is playing a DVD or copying a videotaped recording to DVD, in which case that signal overrides the RF input signal from your cable box. In this case you will not be able to watch cable while copying a videotaped recording to DVD. The program being played or recorded will be the one present on the combo recorder outputs. The workaround is to insert a RF A/B switch (around $6) between the cable box and DVD combo recorder. One feed should go to the DVD combo recorder and the other feed should go to your TV's RF input. The A/B switch selects between these feeds and will allow the cable signal to be passed through to the TV. The TV remote will select between the input signal sources allowing you to watch cable while the machine is recording a DVD.?

Perhaps the condition you have observed may be corrected through use of the VCR/TV button. On a DMR-ES35V that button is located to the lower right just above the F Rec button. That button may not correct the problem.

TalkieTime

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I bought a new LCD HDTV 1080 p Insignia 37 inch. I hope that was right. I still need an informed person to come to my home, and hook everything up. Anybody live in Birmingham, Alabama? The cable company told me I needed a new HD cable box, and they came out and switched it out. There is are 4 or 5 hook-ups from the cable box that plug into the TV. There is a choice of TV, AV1, AV2, S-Input 1, S-Input 2, Component 1, Component 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, VGA on my TV Screen. I use AV1 to watch DVDs and record from.

I still have the same problem, with my VHS/DVD Recorder, the way it is hooked up, that the cable box has to be on the channel that I want to record from, even if I use the Timer Recording. And when on AV 1 , I only have sound from the stereo speakers. When I just watch TV, on Component 1, I can hear both TV and stereo, but there is "noise".

When I recorded "Holiday Affair", the people looked fat, on the DVD.

On my new TV, there is sometimes a line that rolls up the TV. I took it back to Best Buy and they looked at it, and the guy told me that I need to buy an expensive outlet thing, to cut back on the "noise" ..... interference that is in the electrical outlets. I only see the line every once in a while.

I have adjusted the TV, EVERY known adjustment in the options menu, Standard, Dynamic, Warm, Soft, less Sharp, more Contrast, blah, blah, blah, and I cannot get the picture perfect. I kinda miss my old TV. It is gone.

I have mentioned a few annoyances, and am worn out with this, as I am not a TV & electronics person........ my ex husband was good at that stuff and he does not live near me any more.

Any suggestions?

Hi;

I feel your pain, it used to be easy to hook up a tv.

Now theres are so many plugs and connections, But it shouldn't be that hard, The cable company guy should have been able to hook it up for you when they installed the new HD box, or at least told you what to do to hook it up.

Email me directly and I'll look up the tv and see what ports it has, andgive you some ideas.

Ken

TrissyCat,

Earlier in this thread (9/3/08) you inquired concerning connections for your tunerless DVD recorder. In my response I addressed the various connections for your DVD recorder, TV and cable box. I am reposting that information as it is found in my response to your earlier inquiry:

Your description indicates that your VHS/DVD Recorder does not have a tuner and so it has no threaded connections (termed "RF" inputs and outputs). These are the missing connections you mentioned in your post. The only recording your Recorder may manage is through "line in" connections. There will be "composite video," yellow RCA jacks for input and output; white and red audio RCA jacks for input and output; S-Video four pin circular jacks for input and output; "component video" red, green and blue RCA jacks for output only, and perhaps a HDMI flat plug for output only.

Your TV may or may not have inputs corresponding to those. Your TV will certainly have a threaded RF input connection.

Your cable box has outputs corresponding to those already described. You did not say if you have High Definition service through your cable box. In any event you will want to use the highest quality connection between your cable box and the TV. The HDMI connection (the flat cable) is the highest quality followed by component video (Red, Green and Blue) followed by S-Video (the round four pin cable). These two last named connections also require the audio white and red connections. Somewhat lesser quality will be the composite video yellow, again that connection requires the white and red audio; and below that in quality comes the threaded (RF) coax cable. Any of those connections may be used between the cable box and the TV. Be sure to note what cable box output directly feeds the TV input, say TV Input 1, 2, 3, Y/Pb/Pr, Composite, AV1, AV2 , AV3 , HDMI, etc.

You must realize that your VHS/DVD Recorder is unable to record in High Definition no matter what hype is given in the literature or by a salesperson. All recorders must, by law, reduce the recording quality below that of High Definition.

Without a tuner, the Recorder will need to be enslaved to an output from the cable box. This will depend upon what cable box outputs are not being used to connect the cable box to your TV. I will guess that the cable box is connected to your TV with the "component" Red, Green and Blue plugs plus a pair of audio white and red plugs. That leaves other cable box output jacks open for use. If you have a S-Video cable you may connect the cable box S-Video output to a S-Video input on the Recorder. If that is the case you will also need to connect an audio set of white and red cable box outputs to the corresponding and adjacent white and red inputs on the Recorder. If you do not have a S-Video cable you may use the "composite" yellow cable box output to the yellow video input on your Recorder. Again, connect the white and red audio outputs from the cable box to the corresponding and adjacent white and red inputs on the Recorder. Be sure to note which Recorder input you use for this connection, say Recorder Input 1, 2, 3, etc.

The Recorder has various outputs. One of those outputs will be connected to a corresponding input on your TV. Your Recorder output choices are largely the same as the Recorder inputs, plus a set of "component video" red, green and blue outputs. Your choice will depend upon what unused cables you have and what unused inputs are found on your TV. Let's say that you have a "composite" cable set, yellow, white and red. Connect that yellow, white and red set of Recorder outputs to a corresponding and adjacent yellow, white and red inputs on your TV. Be sure to note which TV input you use for this connection, say TV Input 1, 2, 3, Y/Pb/Pr, AV1, AV2, AV3, HDMI, etc.

These are the primary operational connections.

In order to view cable box output on your TV (without recording the program) you will select on your TV remote the input connection that is fed directly to the TV by the cable box as noted before.

In order to record from the cable box you will select on your Recorder remote the input connection that is fed directly to the Recorder by the cable box as noted before. On the TV remote you will select the input connection that is fed directly from the Recorder to the TV as noted before.

For audio feed to your stereo system you will need to connect white and red audio connections to an input on your stereo receiver. Your cable box may not have an open set of audio white and red output jacks. If not, use an open audio set of white and red jacks on the Recorder. If not, use an open set of audio white and red outputs on your TV. If none of these white and red audio connections are open you may need to purchase two RCA "Y" cable adapters, found at Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. These inexpensive "Y" cables turn any single RCA jack into two jacks. The Radio Shack item number is PH62103, catalog #55020958 priced around $4 each. Wherever you insert these "Y" cable adapters that device will have to be powered on and it must be set to receive the signal from its input source in order to provide an active output to the stereo system.

Since your Recorder does not have a tuner you will not be able to record one channel while watching another unless you have a second tuning device connected to your Recorder. That might be a second cable box or a coupon eligible converter box for antenna reception of digital broadcast stations ($10 to $30 with coupon) or another tuner such as the Samsung H260F (around $180).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I do have a HD new cable box; however I cannot tell that it helps the picture at all, since it was not hooked up to my old TV. I am told since I have a 1080 p TV, that I see MORE of the imperfections of the movies and TV shows.

Another cable man came out and hooked things up differently where I now, can record and watch something different on my TV, but NOW I have a time delay on the audio, when I record from TCM (the words do not match the lips).

WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO GET IT CORRECTED ? I copy and print ALL advice and give it to somebody as they are looking at my VHS/DVD Recorder and NEW TV, and they tell me yes, or no, on what I can do.

TrissyCat,

I don't know how your system has been interconnected so I would not be able to give more specific advice than that provided in my post just below yours.

Sometimes "out of sync" audio occurs with a variety of tuning devices. Sometimes turning those devices off and back on a minute or so later corrects the problem. Sometimes it does not.

If powering off and on does not correct the problem I would suggest that the connection method did not take notice of the words "corresponding and adjacent" found several places in that post. An example is:

"If that is the case you will also need to connect an audio set of white and red cable box outputs to the corresponding and adjacent white and red inputs . . ."

If the video connections are not those adjacent to the audio connection(s) the audio and video signals may not be processed/coordinated through the same device, resulting in an "out of sync" situation. That is the importance of "corresponding and adjacent" inputs and "corresponding and adjacent" outputs.

You do need local help from someone that may discern the functional characteristics of your equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested in the last Hard Drive/DVD recorders offered for sale in the US, I am posting links to the respective AVS Forum threads.

The Philips 3575/3576 and Magnavox H2160 (sticky thread):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

The Philips 3575/3576:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

The Magnavox H2160:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1054933

The Magnavox H2080:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=920073

There are many threads discussing Panasonic and other brand HDD/DVD recorders, DVD recorders, and combo recorders. Here is the front page for the AVS DVD recorder forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

talkietime, do I understand correctly?

Having just realized (yes, I'm behind the times) that there are, for sale, recordable turntables for transferring vinyl albums to a H/D, I had the thought that the technology for transferring my VHS tapes to, no not the DVDs I bought, but to my computer's H/D would be a great idea.

Are you saying the technology is already OUT there???

Meanwhile, I was about to embark (it is due to be a snowy day) on transferring some of my VHS tapes to my new (and supposedly easier to use) Panasonic DMR-EZ485V/EZ48V.

Should I hold off? Is there new technology out there that will allow me to upload my VHS tapes to a computer television, were I to buy both?

There is whole bunch of products out now designed specify to get your old analog media copied to you computer to use in the new formats.

The first one that comes to mind is Ion turntables. I belive they make a whole line of products to take vhs, and othe media and get them to your computer. the link is;

http://www.ionaudio.com/site/index.php

I believe the turntable sells for under a $100.00, The only thing that I would say is to use a external hard drive to save the files to, and save them in the best format possible. ie, save lps as wave files,if possible, and have master copies, that you can then go back and re save in a different folder as mp3s, so you have the original in the best quality. the same goes for any other media, save it as the best quality possible.

A large external hard drive can be had for around 100.00 I know that sounds like a lot but we're talking 00-33 gigs of space to save everything you copy and can be moved to another computer as needed.

When using your dvd recorder, always use the fastest spped that will take to whole sourse tape. usually sp or 2 hours,

Ken

My 1/7/09 post concerns stand alone Hard Drive/DVD recorders. The hard drives are used for temporary storage until the recordings may be edited and/or dubbed to DVD. The DVDs produced by these products may be played on other DVD players or recorders. HDD/DVD recorders began disappearing from the US marketplace following the 2006 model year. The last remaining US models are those with the Philips and Magnavox brand names. These models have analog and digital tuners. In Canada one may still find a few Pioneer and Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders. Canadian models have analog-only tuners so they may not be sold in the US. The Canadian models are quickly disappearing from that marketplace.

If one wants a HDD/DVD recorder it is time to act now before these products are gone.

Tuning or capturing video on a computer's hard drive is a very different process involving a cumbersome file format conversion. I will quote from my 5/11/07 post in this Gremlin thread:

"Media Center computers are ordinary computers with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 or Windows Vista Home Premium operating systems and certain enhancements to make them more "media friendly." Common among the enhancements are TV tuners and video capture cards. These enhancements are sometimes included with these computers and are sometimes optional at extra cost. TV tuners may be used with an antenna . . . Capture cards may be connected to a VCR or DVD player. With these enhancements the video may be saved onto the computer hard drive and *watched on the computer monitor*.

To burn such video onto a DVD for use in DVD players, the files on the hard drive must be "converted" by computer software into a format that DVD players may utilize, a time-consuming process, and then burned to DVD.

My . . . post, regarding using a computer to burn a copy of a DVD, describes the simpler process of making an exact copy of a finalized DVD already fit for playing on a variety of DVD players. Almost any computer with a DVD burner can perform this task."

Now, more a year and a half since that post, capturing, editing and converting video with a computer is still a cumbersome and time-consuming process.

The earlier linked AVS Forum threads provide access to a wealth of information concerning the last of the Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders. While these products are sophisticated, they are user friendly and provide great results with little effort.

I would especially commend the earlier linked "sticky thread" for the Philips 3575/3576 and Magnavox H2160. That's the place to begin. After months of using my own awkward procedure for editing the beginning and end of a recording, I mentioned my frustration. I was promptly directed to the simple and effective procedures for clean "front and end cuts." These procedures are found linked to the first post in the "sticky thread." (These simple editing procedures are nowhere to be found in owners manuals supplied with these Philips and Magnavox recorders.)

My suggestions are based upon my personal experience. I own one Philips 3575 (a 2007 model), one Magnavox H2160 (a 2009 model) and one Magnavox H2080 (a 2008 model). I also own sixteen functional Panasonic DVD recorders or DVD/VHS combo recorders of the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 model years.

With regard to the USB based ION turntable and VCR2PC, be sure to read owner/user reviews before investing in these products. One site has perhaps a dozen customer reviews for the VCR2PC, all but two or so reporting unsatisfactory results and suggesting the product is a waste of money. There are also a couple of rave reviews that bring the product up to an "average" rating. Might those be shill reviews?

Message was edited by: talkietime

Tuning or capturing video on a computer's hard drive is a very different process involving a cumbersome file format conversion.

Okay, thanks talkietime. Not for me yet then. I'll just plod on with my VHS--->DVDs.

With regard to the USB based ION turntable and VCR2PC, be sure to read owner/user reviews before investing in these products.

Okay, again thanks. I am not fully convinced I want to do this yet.

Getting av on to a hard drive can be a can of worms, in both dealing a/v sync problems, and file formats, and burning to dvd. I have done it and had pretty results except for audio syncing with video. Recording material directly to the dvd is far simpler then going to computer and then to dvd on the computer, if all your doing to a straight copy.

As for the ion products I haven't used one yet, However they do offer a simple way to copy lp and older media to the computer. As I said before my only issue would be the file format they want to save stuff in. The archivist in me, wants to save stuff in the best quality possible. Depending on what you need, they are defiantly something to consider.

Ken

Primosprimos,

"Meanwhile, I was about to embark (it is due to be a snowy day) on transferring some of my VHS tapes to my new (and supposedly easier to use) Panasonic DMR-EZ485V/EZ48V."

After experiencing the start/stop routine with repetition of dubbed material from the end of one "title" to the beginning of the next "title" using the front panel control for transferring videotaped recordings to DVD with an EZ series combo recorder, compare the results with those of your DMR-ES35 transfers through FUNCTIONS, COPY, then setting up Time Limited Copying, with or without the Flexible Recording (FR) feature. These and other features make your DMR-ES35 the machine of choice for dubbing/copying.

The EZ/EA series is fine for straight recording to DVD and/or VHS.

The EZ485V/48V Panasonics have digital and analog tuners, HDMI and upconverting, features not found on the DMR-ES35. The front panel videotape copying method of EZ/EA series combo recorders thwarts user control of the transfer process as well as any basic editing attempts. Long before I experienced the ease of editing with the Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders, I found the Panasonic front panel dubbing/copying process maddening. Those observations are found in a number of my 2007 and newer posts in this thread.

talkietime, I know I read it here...but it's a one for one dubbing, eh?

It took eight full hours (I chose EP) to transfer from an eight hour tape to DVD.

My question: why isn't the technology available where it just, well, zaps it faster from tape to DVD?

I'm not sure I'm up to this (never mind the boon for Con Ed!) -- any idea where one can sell four spindles of 100 DVDs each?

:o(

In recent posts I've mentioned the Hard Drive/DVD recorders from Philips and Magnavox. There has also been discussion of Panasonic DVD recorders.

The Philips Hard Drive/DVD recorder may still be stocked at some Sam's Club and Walmart stores. A few of the Philips models may be found on the secondary market, often with inflated prices. The Magnavox H2160 Hard Drive/DVD model is in such great demand at walmart.com that whenever it is found "in stock" it goes "out of stock" within minutes.

A poster on the AVS Forum inquired of Panasonic concerning new models. That poster reported that Panasonic advised him that the Panasonic DVD recorder line has been discontinued.

If one is interested in new Philips or Magnavox Hard Drive/DVD recorders or new Panasonic DVD recorders the time to purchase these products is now while these may still be found.

Message was edited by: talkietime

I transferred most of my VHS collection to DVD and I usually did it ovenight, starting it just before I went to bed or I started it just before I left for work. It worked well for me, because there's really no need to be the while it's dubbing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, markfp2, that is a good idea.

talkietime, me again. Thanks for the news that the DVD recorder/players are being discontinued.

I'm still having a problem with the Panasonic DMR-EZ485V. Are you familiar with this one? It replaced the DMR-ES35V, which I found a piece of cake to work with. Why did I get another recorder/player? No idea.

At any rate, on the newer one, I find the response time of the remote to be verrrrrrrrry slow. Is this a deliberate quirk or just poor manufacturing?

Also, I tried to record to VHS (I know) last evening and didn't manage to do something as simple as this. The machine has two settings 'IN1' and 'IN2' and I think this is the point at which I have a problem, selecting a channel. I have Cablevision digital and the television is on channel 3.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm going to try again today as a test to see if I can't figure it out.

Primosprimos,

I hope you kept your DMR-ES35V. That and three other Panasonic ES series machines (DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V and DMR-ES30V) are the ones to use in a dubbing/copying project.

I own five Panasonic EZ series DVD recorders but I did not purchase EZ series combo recorders as these were stripped of the FUNCTIONS menu-initiated dubbing/copying features I regard as essential for copying videotaped recordings to DVD.

Are you attempting to copy a videotape from the built-in VHS mechanism on your EZ48/485? In that case you are limited to the front panel control where you will lose control of the process and you will not have seamless results.

If you must use an EZ48/485 to copy videotapes attach a VCR to an input (IN 1 or IN 2) and copy videotapes from that input. That method will allow you more control of the process, including use of the Flexible Recording feature.

The slow response to the EZ48/485 remote--I assume you refer to channel changing--comes from the integration of digital and analog channels in the same tuning sequence. First, you select the channel, then the digital tuner has to acquire the digital signal and after that the digital signal needs to be displayed. That's just part of the problem with integration of analog and digital tuning in the same sequence. Other brands (Philips/Magnavox) have two tuning sequences, one digital and the other analog selected by the DTV/TV button. Tuning is faster when the tuning sequences are separate.

My December 10/11 post (responding to TrissyCat) includes a lengthy description of connectivity, some of which is relevant to your situation. If your TV is set to channel 3 for its primary signal reception, then does it receive its primary signal source directly through a cable/satellite box or the EZ48/485 RF output? Since the EZ48/485 has a modulated RF output if that output provides the TV with its primary signal the TV would then be enslaved to the EZ48/485, not the best option. If you have a satellite/cable box it is better to have that connected to the primary TV input and a secondary satellite/cable box output feed an EZ48/485 input with an EZ48/485 output feeding another TV input (if those options are available). In that situation the TV remote would be used to select among the TV inputs. Most analog-tuner TVs, at a minimum, have RF and composite (yellow, white/red) inputs. Most recent digital-tuner TVs have multiple composite (yellow) inputs, a component input (red/blue/green) and S-Video input (round with four pins) all of which require use of the white/red audio connections. Recent HDTVs also have HDMI input(s) that carry video and audio signals. See the December post for more detail.

The AVS Forum thread dedicated to the DMR-EZ48/485 is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014536

Wajo has provided some useful diagrams in this post from his Philips/Magnavox sticky thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12298409&postcount=10

Wajo often suggests placing a Philips/Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder on the coax ahead of the satellite/cable box. That is fine for "pass through" recorders that DO NOT MODULATE THE RF OUTPUT. This connectivity arrangement is not practicable with a combo recorder, like the EZ48/485, that MODULATES the RF output. Modulated/Unmodulated RF outputs are described in more detail in my December 2 post in this "Gremlin" thread.

The generality of AVS Forum DVD recorder discussions may be found here:

This message was revised for clarity by TalkieTime

I hope you kept your DMR-ES35V.

talkietime, I did. In fact, I bought two at the same time and wish I had bought three.

DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V and DMR-ES30V

Since I can't seem to easily locate a VHS/DVD recorder/player -- NOT another dubbing machine -- are these known for their ease of use? I am looking for a machine that will allow me to watch/record on either DVDs or VHS tapes, and there doesn't seem to be such an animal out there anymore.

Are you attempting to copy a videotape from the built-in VHS mechanism on your EZ48/485?

I was looking simply to copy a program I was watching. On the ES35V and my late, lamented VCRs, I would power it on, figure out the channeling option - 3 or the channel I was watching - and blammo, hit 'record'. Easy peasy.

The EZ (a misnomer if ever there was one) 485 gave me all KINDS of options -- no doubt it is more sophisticated than I -- and I ended up copying the program but not knowing I was doing so. I hate that. Also, the remote did NOT respond to my first pressing, I had to press and press and press. I hated that.

If your TV is set to channel 3 for its primary signal reception, then does it receive its primary signal source directly through a cable/satellite box or the EZ48/485 RF output?

The SONY (old) television that had the EZ485 recorder attached is, yes, set to channel three all the time. In addition, the recorder was on channel three and the only change I made was with the Cablevision remote in changing the channels. This is how I record to VHS tape on the other recorder, the ES35V, with another SONY (old) television. Interestingly, the television with the ES35V recorder MUST be on channel three to record and on channel four to watch a tape, whereas the other television can be on either three or four to do either.

I'm afraid I'm not following all that you are saying, and tried to find you on the AVS forum but couldn't, so had to bother you here again. I will visit the AVS forum again, thank you. I 'think' I recognize who you are over there.

By the way, I say 'had' because Amazon, bless their best company in the world hearts, is taking back the EZ485 recorder. My next problem will be to find another machine for that room, hence my question above on the DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V and DMR-ES30V models.

Thank you, once again, talkietime. You're brillig!

null

Primosprimos,

The EZ series Panasonics have had a high rate of customer returns as few buyers tolerate the design flaws and bugs. The EZ series was introduced in 2007. Once one has used some of the outstanding ES series Panasonics one has to lower their minimum performance expectations when using EZ series Panasonics. The EZ series Panasonics are able to produce DVD recordings of great picture quality--when the machine actually functions. With my five EZ series Panasonics I use various workarounds to maintain functionality. The EZ series bugs and design flaws have generated much discussion on the AVS Forum. I'm planning to retire two of my EZ series machines in the near future, to be replaced by one well-tested Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder of about the same vintage.

The best Panasonics were produced in 2005 and 2006. The DMR-ES45V and DMR-ES46V are, like your DMR-ES35V, 2006 models. The DMR-ES30V is a 2005 model. Since most owners find these to be reliable "workhorses" most of these models have had heavy use.

The VCR you access on channel 4 has that channel selected as its "output channel." There will probably be a Channel 3/4 output channel switch on the rear panel.

Some devices with HD or SD digital tuners will output only SD digital or analog signals. DVD recorders with VHS sections will not actually record digital signals to the VHS section. The DVD section will record analog and digital signals. The VHS section on current products is a cheap throw-away device, convenient for playing videotapes, not particularly suitable for making good quality recordings.

The suggestions I've provided are for optimized picture quality. Except for the initial connection to cable/satellite converters/tuners, the threaded coax RF connection does not provide the best picture quality. Other outputs, HDMI, component, S-Video and composite (in that order) provide better picture quality. If your TV has these inputs (and you use them) you will see picture quality improvements over that provided by the threaded coax RF connection. These are the basics.

On the AVS Forum I leave connectivity descriptions and details to others. I've often posted AVS Forum links at TCM (and a couple of other message boards) for the convenience of those interested in fuller, more detailed discussions.

When AVS Forum DVD Recorder sub-forum posters mention their favorite "channels," TCM is mentioned frequently.

On the AVS Forum I am known as "DigaDo." "Diga" is the name used by Panasonic for their entire line of DVD recorders. I participate in Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox threads and a few topical threads; and occasionally the CECB, HDTV, and local Comcast and OTA sub-forums.

talkietime (I thought that was you over there!), thank you for confirming my feelings about the un-EZ model. Similarly, I had a 1977 Panasonic VCR that I loved, it had everything 'I' needed on the front panel. I also had a NEC VCR that I loved, same thing, easy as pie.

THEN came the VCRs that no longer had the useful buttons on the front panel, one had to figure them out via the television screen! Well, now it all seems like child's play compared to the DVD players. Ah well, one must change, mustn't one?

Can you let me know if this is a machine similar to the DMR-ES35V (yup, I sure wish I bought a third one):

--Toshiba DR560 1080p Upconverting DVD Recorder with Built-in Tuner

With my track record, I still prefer to buy from Amazon because of their extraordinary return procedures.

Thank you, as always, for your assistance.

While I am familiar with the Philips 3575/3576 and Magnavox 2080/2160 HDD/DVD recorders designed by Philips and manufactured by Funai, I am not familiar with other recent Funai-manufactured products including Toshiba.

Here is one AVS thread discussing the Toshiba DR560:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1084394

Perhaps there are other discussions of this product found through this front page:

For more results you may want to adjust search criteria (at the bottom of that page) to go back more than one month.

• 4 weeks later...

In another thread Goldensilents mentioned a disc that had problems being played or "ripped." I responded with this advice:

Sometimes problematic discs may be dirty or have oily residue. Discs may require gentle cleaning using a soft cloth dampened with diluted dish soap. Wipe from the center hole to the outside edge, and rinse with clear water.

Sometimes problematic discs may be dubbed in real time by a HDD/DVD recorder. Then the contents may be high-speed dubbed from the hard drive to a new disc. I've done this with my Philips 3575 and Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorders. Or, use a DVD player or DVD recorder to play the disc while another DVD recorder makes a real-time copy. I've done this with my Panasonic ES and EZ series DVD recorders.

Often disc problems arise when a DVD may slip on the rubber hub that grips it during read, write and finalizing operations. The rubber hub needs regular cleaning, more often when the machine is used in warm, dusty or smoking environments; or where discs are handled with a finger through the center hole transmitting oily residue to the rubber hub area. The rubber hub may be cleaned with a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Cleaning procedures may vary by make of machine. At the AVS Forum I've posted advice and photos (as "DigaDo") for the thorough rubber hub cleaning procedure for DVD Drives found in recent model Panasonic DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14479898#post14479898

While the direct access cleaning procedure is the most thorough, there is a short-cut procedure. The disc tray is extended and then the machine's power cord is disconnected. With a long-handled cotton swab clean the rubber hub by rolling the cotton swab along the hub. This will gather up most of the debris or residue as the swab rotates the hub, perhaps sufficient to correct reading, writing or finalizing errors. Be gentle when working near the easily-damaged lens assembly. Don't close the disc tray by manually pushing it back into the machine (as some drive tray mechanism parts may become dislodged or misaligned). Reconnect the power and close the disc tray by using the disc tray open/close button.