Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite to watch again & again?

My DVD shelves are overflowing with quite a variety of movies. When I want to watch a movie a second, third, fourth....time, the first question is, "What am I in the mood for?" What movies do you find yourself watching multiple times, finding new details, new meanings, new appreciation for the acting, direction, art/costumes, etc with each viewing? My kids have come through the room many times saying, "You're watching this again???"

Question 2: Confess it, have you planned to watch a movie when no one is around so no one will make fun of you crying at sad points or laughing yourself off the sofa at funny parts???

Well, depending on the mood I'm in, some movies I have watched multiple times (and have gotten the same response from my kids) are:

WHITE CHRISTMAS

IN HARM'S WAY

MR. PEABODY & THE MERMAID

COBRA WOMAN

ANY BASIL RATHBONE SHERLOCK HOLMES MOVIE

LAURA

THE BIG SLEEP

DARK PASSAGE

THE WINDS OF WAR & WAR & REMEMBRANCE

ANY UNIVERSAL HORROR OR SCI-FI CLASSIC

THE GUNS OF NAVARONE

NOW VOYAGER

KELLY'S HEROES

WHERE EAGLES DARE

THE DIRTY DOZEN

Question 2: Possibly.

I don't have a collection of movies, but anytime they air, you can be sure I'll be watching: Classics: Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo and Meet Me in St. Louis

Not So Classic: Raising Arizona and Brazil

Everyone rolls their eyes when they see what I'm watching.

Years ago one of my neices caught me crying at a movie, and she still kids me about it. So, yes, I only watch tearjerkers alone. Since I consider 90% of the movies I watch to be tearjerkers, I'm nearly always alone!

Bartletts Top 25:

1.- The Magnificent Seven

2.- The Godfather Epic

3.- The Blackboard Jungle

4.- The French Connection

5.- Public Enemy

6.- Treasure Of Sierra Madre

7.- White Heat

8.- 12 Angry Men

9.- Marty

10.- Jojimbo

11.- The Natural

12.- Cinderella Man

13.- Diner

14.- King Kong ( 1933 )

15.- It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World

16.- Eight Men Out

17.- Mean Streets

18.- On the Waterfront

19.- East of Eden

20.- Blazing Saddles

21.- The Fortune Cookie

22.- The Dirty Dozen

23.- The Great Escape

24.- Elmer Gantry

25.- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Bartlett

Hey Bartlett -

You seem to be a big fan of The Natural. Have you checked out the new DVD that just came out with a new director's cut? I read somewhere that they changed a lot of things, adding stuff that wasn't used originally and deleting several scenes.

Question 1: I go by "mood", too. The Tamarind Seed, Charade, The Detective, Hard Contract, The Thin Man, My Man Godfrey, To Catch a Thief, Marnie, Soldier of Fortune, Fate is the Hunter, Angel and the Bad Man and Garden of Evil are among those I tend to watch the most often over the past couple of years. Before that, Audrey Hepburns movies in general got heavy rotation, as well as Marilyn Monroe's films. I still watch them now but not daily like I used to.

Question 2: I cry easily over films but I do prefer to watch tearjerkers by myself, and only if I'm really in the mood. I used to wallow in them, now I try to watch them only occasionally because there's enough to jerk my tears in the news these days. Those that I've watched most often are GWTW, Out of Africa, Waterloo Bridge (Viv's version) and Doctor Zhivago.

Miss G

Hi Bartlett---another fan of Cinderella Man. I thought that movie was the best thing I'd seen in theaters in a looooong time. I'm not a fan of the sport but for some reason I like boxing movies. ;)

Miss G

Cinemascope - Thanks for the info on "The Natural". I only have it on VHS but was planning to get it on DVD, now I'll look for that copy. You are just a wonderful source of information!!

MissGoddess - I didn't like Russell Crowe until I saw "Cinderella Man". Outstanding Movie that in my opinion should have gotten the accolades that were bestowed on "Million Dollar Baby". If you do go for boxing movies ( like me ) check out Robert Ryan in "The Set Up". It is one of the better boxing movies and would have been #26 on my list. Also "The Manchurian Candidate" would have been #27....I better stop now or else I'll list my top 1,000 that I could see over and over again!!

Bartlett

I loved The Set-Up, too, and I am huge Robert Ryan fan anyway. Also, I love Sinatra movies and The Manchurian Candidate is a classic.

I was also impressed with the boxing movie TCM aired yesterday---Right Cross. Did anyone see it? I wish now I had recorded it!

Miss G

sure miss G,

first of all isn't right cross a great movie. i noticed you like boxing movies. this is a great one, not to mention its got junie allyson and dick powell in it although they didn't get together in the end. they were married when they did it together. of coarse they never got divorced. and many rivers to cross is one of me and my grandmothers favorites. its a good chick flick with robert taylor and eleanor parker. it is an absolute must see on my list of suggestions. rob taylor is bushrod gentry and elanor p is mary stewart chern and she definitely gets the best out of him by the end.

yours, butterscotchgreer

> I loved The Set-Up, too, and I am huge Robert Ryan

> fan anyway. Also, I love Sinatra movies and The

> Manchurian Candidate is a classic.

>

> I was also impressed with the boxing movie TCM aired

> yesterday---Right Cross. Did anyone see it?

> I wish now I had recorded it!

>

> Miss G

I started to watch "Right Cross" but with Ricardo Montalban, I kept thinking of either, 'Khan" ( Star Trek) or him in a white suit on "Fantasy Island". Sorry he couldn't fight himself out of a paper bag! Now DeNiro in "Raging Bull" & Newman in "Somebody Up There Likes Me" and even Elvis in "Kid Galahad"....they could fight!!!

Bartlett

> Well that shows how much I know about fighting

> because I thought he looked very convincing! But I

> really just watch these films for the drama

> outside of the ring. ;)

I look for both...but I kept expecting Tatoo to yell...."The Plane...The Plane!!!". ...when I was watching "Right Cross".

Bartlett

Lol!

I only learned in the last few years of Ricardo's significant career in film before his memorable television roles.

P.S. Let us not forget, he put "Corinthian Leather" (roll your "R's" when you say it!) in the vernacular! ;)

> P.S. Let us not forget, he put "Corinthian Leather"

> (roll your "R's" when you say it!) in the vernacular!

> ;)

I was trying to forget that!

Also did you know his Brother was "El Exehantee" (SP?) the guy who approved the coffee in the old Savarin commercials. ( I'm trying to forget that too)

Bartlett

If I run into any of these on TCM I have to watch them to the end -- Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Mad, Mad World, The Great Escape, Sons of Katie Elder, Hatari, El Dorado, The War Wagon, Rio Bravo, Donovan's Reef, Sunset Blvd., Ace In The Hole, One, Two, Three, Bridge On The River Kwai, The Apartment, Double Indemnity, All Through The Night

I like this thread, a very good idea

The ones i watch over and over, noticing new details are; All About Eve, Jezebel, and basically any Judy Garland Musical ;)

The ones i watch alone when i'm in a certain mood are; Boystown, A Star is Born i can't really think of funny ones i watch at the moment, but just hearing that Abbot and Costello "Who's On First" makes me laugh out loud :P

Cinemascope - Thanks for the info on "The Natural". I only have it on VHS but was planning to get it on DVD, now I'll look for that copy. You are just a wonderful source of information!!

Here's a review that compares the old DVD and the new "Director's Cut" which apparently has 15 minutes of new footage (you can compare screenshots of both DVDs):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews28/the_natural.htm