Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Silent Film Fest in SF to open w/The Student Prince

I received this press release announcing some details about the 12th Annual Silent Film Festival in San Francisco this July. It will open with Ernst Lubitsch's The Student Prince of Heidelberg (1927), starring Norma Shearer and Ramon Novarro. Any silent film fans living in or near the city by the bay are in for a treat!

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-09-2007/0004561742&EDATE=

The Student Prince, or just "OLD HEIDELBERG" (1927), since that is what this movie is actually called on the opening credits, and on Carl Davis.Com is truly a great film! Ernest Lubitsch was a magnificent talent, and this may in-fact be his finest work!

A film packed with Humor, emotion, and griping drama as well. Two great stars in the lead, plus the memorable Jean Hersholt, as the young prince's beloved mentor, giving perhaps the performance of his career. Why this amazing movie is still not available on commercial DVD, I just can't understand! Warner should put this out as part of a Ramon Novarro, or Norma Shearer, or even Lubitsch collection. The Thames version boast's one of Carl Davis greatest, most powerful scores as well!

The movie could stand a fresh transfer, as the latest restoration was done some 20 years ago, in 1987. It is rather soft looking by today's standards. If the vast degree of improvement in sharpness and clarity made from the older Thames edition of FLESH AND THE DEVIL, to what was recently released on commercial DVD as part of the Garbo Silent's set, is any indication all while retaining Carl Davis masterful score, than much the same should be able to be done here!

I just love this picture so much, and long to see it properly restored, and made available to the masses! It needs to be done! I certainly do hope that TCM, or Warner's is actually working on this project?

Commenting on some of the other films being screened, the Paramount Pictures release BEGGARS OF LIFE (1928), is another great picture! It has Louise Brooks, Richard Arlen, and Wallace Berry. Directed by the great William Wellman, it is wonderful to learn that this film is being restored by George Eastman House! This fine organization did such a wonderful job on the rare Olive Thomas feature THE FLAPPER (1920), if they can duplicate those results on BEGGARS OF LIFE, it will be a momentous achievement!

I have seen a COTTAGE ON DARTMOORE (1929), and have it on DVD-R. It is indeed quite remarkable! I think this has been released across the pond, in Pal format on DVD just recently? Overall a very nice line up of Silent Movies for this festival!

When you say Old Heidelberg was Lubitsch's best film, you make my mouth positively water! He's one of my top 3 favorite directors and I've never seen this particular film. Golly, makes me want to fly all the way out to Frisco just for it!

The press release did make mention of a "tribute" to TCM, so perhaps there is some involvement, and perhaps TCM may want to push for the restoration and dvd release of this film??????????? *hint* *hint*

Anyway, if anyone gets to attend this festival, I hope they'll share their perceptions.

Miss G

You could hardly hope for a better theater to watch silent movies in than San Francisco's Castro Theater, an old-style theater palace with an old-California style facade and luxurious interior (complete with an organ).

I think it opened in the early 20's. It's a real beauty! :x

I've never been to it. I'm glad it's still around for people to enjoy.

You're welcome - and don't forget the Castro Theater also usually hosts the Noir City festival each January, which includes the screenings of many film noirs that have never been available on video. :)