Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

A POLL: Sinatra, Bing or Elvis???

The Chairman's A #1 ideal singer early on-9l950's or so0 was Nat "King" Cole & he somewhat idolized Bing, but Tony Bennett he thought had thee finest voice

When he died in May 1998, Larry King had several guests on his show

& one of the guests-(may have been Eartha Kitt?)

Firmly said that frank wasn't especially the greatest singer, but along w/Edith Piaf the finest song stylist

(NPOTE: trust me on this & for his fans, Check out on youtube Frank, Dino, Sammy & in for Joey Bishop was JOHNNY CARSON!

Who's ever seen this concert? In B & W & around 1965

WHO DO THEY HAVE AROUND IN THE INDUSTRY TO EVEN BEGIN TO MATCH THESE HEAVYWEIGHTS?

I know it was unintentional, but it tickled me that SPENCE reported that Sinatra's singles and albums sold in the THOUSANDS!  :P

Sepiatone

I pot these stats from a couple of sites & cross referenced it before writing it

Even L. King mentioned that Frank made (2oo albums & 1,800 songs)

& it's strange that his 6 decades of music output is not ranked up in the top 5 artists?

even though he's among my heroes, "Duets" was a mess

• Like 1

My thinking Spence, was that you inadvertantly left each of those figures one zero SHORT.

+1 on the Piaf comparison and the "stylist" thing.  It's an inarguable fact  that music is about  more  than just hitting the right notes.  And while Frank contemporaries TONY MARTIN and GORDON McRAE  had stronger and more beautiful voices, they usually managed to make every  song they sang sound just about the same.  Frank managed to get the HEART of the song out there by more or less letting the LYRICS guide him more than just the NOTES.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

For me Frank Sinatra is the go to when I need to have my emotions expressed in music.   He is able to make my insides tingle everytime I hear him sing.  Along with Fred Astaire he is a celebrity I miss the most (not for his celebratory) but for his talent.  I remember the day his death was announced and the following Sunday on a radio station in Dallas there was a three hour tribute to his career.  The station began the tribute with his first recordings and proceeded through his career in the timeline of his performing life.  The information between numbers was excellent and one of my colleagues at work, remembering my delight in Frank Sinatra, taped the whole show and I have it to this day...along with the People issue celebrating his life.  

The next two singers for me are Nat King Cole and Jo Stafford.  Thank goodness for You Tube that makes me able to resurrect my memories whenever I choose. 

• Like 2

For me Frank Sinatra is the go to when I need to have my emotions expressed in music.   He is able to make my insides tingle everytime I hear him sing.  Along with Fred Astaire he is a celebrity I miss the most (not for his celebratory) but for his talent.  I remember the day his death was announced and the following Sunday on a radio station in Dallas there was a three hour tribute to his career.  The station began the tribute with his first recordings and proceeded through his career in the timeline of his performing life.  The information between numbers was excellent and one of my colleagues at work, remembering my delight in Frank Sinatra, taped the whole show and I have it to this day...along with the People issue celebrating his life.  

The next two singers for me are Nat King Cole and Jo Stafford.  Thank goodness for You Tube that makes me able to resurrect my memories whenever I choose. 

Ironically Sinatra also rated Cole among the finest. Matter of fact, he once said he wish he sounded like the singer.

PERFECTLY PUT!

& on youtube, there's a ton of him & Elvis too!   & as I've repeatedly told fans you must check-(MANDATORY IF YOUR A BONA FIDE FAN)  just punch in SINATRA, DINO, SAMMY & JOHNNY CARSON IN A RARE CONCERT FROM '65  Rare because Johnny not only was filling in for Joey Bishop & even carried a tune along with the boys'   IT'S A MUST SAVE!!!    SO, PLEASE LET ME & US KNOW TO ANYONE OUT THERE, THAT HAS SEEN IT YET, OR PLAN TO. (it's about 90min)

I pot these stats from a couple of sites & cross referenced it before writing it

Even L. King mentioned that Frank made (2oo albums & 1,800 songs)

& it's strange that his 6 decades of music output is not ranked up in the top 5 artists?

even though he's among my heroes, "Duets" was a mess

I was given "Duets" as a gift & wanted it, despite it being rather lame. a collectors item. He mostly phoned in his vocals & I believe it 3was made/produced at CHAPLIN'S old studio "Dream Factory" on La Brea.   Jim Henson owned it for awhile, hence the reason Kermit the Frog is on top of it's frt gates.   I do know for certain "We Are the World" was made at The Little Tramp's own studio in the '80's. It looks like it's been in a time warp-(GEE, SURPRISED THEY DIDN'T ALREADY TEAR THAT LITTLE STUDIO DOWN ALREADY TOO) & looks the same as in the early 1950's when Charlie said to literally just chuck the lot & went back to Switzerland

:)    Most may know this, & he never lived it down, but when Francis Albert-(his 1st career) was known simply as "The Voice" He did a song that gained instant notoriety  "Mama Will Bark"

Who knows of this mess of a number.

& I'm not as huge a fan from what he dubbed his first career-(l940's)  Of course his 2nd career really kicked into high gear with his 1953 Oscar winning turn as Maggio in From Here to Eternity.

He had all.....you know what hit the fan at the very end of the '40's, his MGM movies made $dough$ $Especially the 3 with Gene Kelly-(he liked "Take Me 0ut to the Ball Game") b4est, obviously because of his love of baseball.  Matter of fact, it was nearly impossible-(due to Nancy Sinatra) to  locate a Sinatra Bobblehead  All the companies told me why. Then I stumbled upon some that were given to all the  fans at a San Francisco Giants game-(his fav. team) & then I was lucky enough to nail one down & have it here on my desk. I just wish it had him with a microphone,etc as opposed to holding a baseball

The kicker is, they virtually sell bobbleheads for anyone, from 0bama, Trump, Hillary even Sadam Hussein had one?   Of course they have an array of them on ELVIS!-(got my ma' one & though FS is my 32 Idol, I also own 1 on Elvis myself) :D  :rolleyes:

But, he was fired by L.B. Mayer because he made a little joke about a girl that The Mogul liked & as he said Mr Mayer was devoid of any sense of humor  & some true little known but factual trivia on L.B. He was deeply "In Love' with Ann-Miller, she didn't feel the same way though & of all people Louis B. Mayer-(l885-l957) almost killed himself over it with sleeping pills!  this was according to ann herself & others. He tried to get at her via her mother, apparently nothing worked for The Mogul of All Moguls & he was not used to getting his way.   She said despite still working at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, he rarely spoke to her the rest of his days. :wacko:

THANX   & keep the comments comin'

Most have seen the now legendary & classic tv teaming of The chairman of the Board & The King of Rock N'Roll , performing together in their one & only time ever.

Frank was not fond of Elvis-(maybe feeling a bit threatened, because he may garner some of his legions of followers?)

Plus, he loathed Rock N'Roll BIG-TIME!   He didn't despise Presley, he just had his own style & vice-versa & simply did not want to do that appearance between the 2 of them   However, people around him talked him into it & it would lighten ol' Blue Eyes Up in the minds of many, to sing with the kid.  So, he did it of course

Just prior to Elvis going into the Army too. (l958)

WHO RECALLS THIS CLIP?

Where they switched songs :D  :unsure:  :unsure:

By the way that was the one genre, medium FS bombed at, was his short lived tv show  But pal Dino could do no wrong & al;l his tv jazz was a hit!

He has (3) WOF-Stars,  Elvis (2) & I think Bing has (3)   To be fair, Frank should have (4), Dino (4)

But the champ on The Walk-of-Fame-(est: 1958 & 61-)  is still RIDICULOUSLY Gene Autry? Bob Hope is the runner-up with (4)

'fraid Jolie's number one in this corner, followed by Bing and Frankie. I skipped Elvis and went straight to the Beatles. Just starting to figure out the Stones!

'fraid Jolie's number one in this corner, followed by Bing and Frankie. I skipped Elvis and went straight to the Beatles. Just starting to figure out the Stones!

Jolie????  

'Fraid I don't know who you mean by "Jolie" either.  Went "straight to the Beatles"?  From WHERE?  There's a LOT of space between Elvis and The Beatles. 

Sepiatone

'Fraid I don't know who you mean by "Jolie" either.  Went "straight to the Beatles"?  From WHERE?  There's a LOT of space between Elvis and The Beatles. 

Sepiatone

See? A relic! JOLSON. From Bing to Beatles.

See? A relic! JOLSON. From Bing to Beatles.

Well there is a lot of space between Jolson and the Beatles but not so much between Jolson and Bing.

Hey,  I love unique choices so my hat is off to you.

• Like 1

Well there is a lot of space between Jolson and the Beatles but not so much between Jolson and Bing.

Hey,  I love unique choices so my hat is off to you.

In fact, I think the only Presley records I have are a set of 45's that were reissued in two gold boxes in the 90's and the CD album of the music from KING CREOLE (the only Presley picture I like).