Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
johnm001

YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH

I love the pairing of Astaire and Hayworth. Perhaps my favorite. Also love the great choreography by Robert Alton. Too bad they waste too much time on the silly "comic" portions of the film, when a couple more dances would have been far more welcomed. Still, fine entertainment, to be sure.

Rita was so great in Cover Girl. I also enjoyed the precision dancing and timing that

Kelly, Silvers, and Hayworth had. What a great triumvirate of timing and precision...

'you'll never get rich'1941 is a great dance-fest. wall to wall dancing and yes, great choreography by robert alton. fred gets 2 solos and 2 w/ the chorus in addition to his dances with rita.

fred and rita start the film out with a BANG with that first tap number! the tap routines the two do in both their films together have the most challenging choreography i've ever seen!

and fred and rita just SOAR through 'so near and yet so far' duet...the speed, flow, and grace of their dancing in this one is impeccable.

and i find i enjoy the 3 stooges style comedy in this film, it's a refreshing change of pace for astaire. really an enjoyable musical, one of my favorites as well.

Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor - now there's a triumvirate! Come on Sue, you've got to admit that Phil Silvers' very best work was on tv as Sgt Bilko on the old Phil Silvers Show. And with Paul Ford as the commanding officer (if I remember correctly) it really briught out his best comedic skills. Don'tcha think? And besides (in my humble opinion) as fine a dancer as Fred Astaire was, that's how terrible an actor he was. Like Carrie Fischer says, "being old doesn't make it a classic", I say "being in the movies doesn't make you an actor!"

Fondly,

Hollis

p.s. See you on the flip side!

> That's a great analysis, marcco - what did you think

> of You Were Never Lovelier? :)

back in the '80's--before home video-- the best way to see a classic film uncut would be at a revival theater.

i remember seeing 'you were never lovelier' 1942 back then, and when rita made her first appearance onscreen, it sent a shockwave throughout the audience. i jolted and at the same time there was a loud gasp from the crowd. she hit us all right between the eyeballs.

the audience also gasped with amazment with the "i'm old fashioned" number when fred and rita take turns spinning toward the camera, and then finish together AND in the "shorty george" number, when fred & rita do a high kick and rita JUST makes it back in time w/ astaire...thrilling!!

Yes it would be nice if these movies got shown in revival houses a bit more often... unfortunately when they do show classic movies the emphasis usually seems to be on movies from the 50's and 60's, with few exceptions like Casablanca, Citizen Kane or The Wizard of Oz.

Only wish they could have shown both of these movies back-to-back. But even just one of them is quite a pleasure to watch! B-)

i'm afraid it's true...with all our fussing about the latest tv technology and our dvd collection, the best way to watch a film is still on the big screen, with an audience that is into it.

Ain't that the truth - so sad that these days few theaters can afford to play revivals 100% of the time, most of them just show a few now and then :(

In most New York movie houses now, there are more rats ( Even Some Two Legged Ones) in the audience then there are people.

Also Hollis - I agree with both your statements about Silvers & Astaire 100%.

As the matter of fact...Silvers carried his "Bilko" style of acting in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". .

In most New York movie houses now, there are more rats ( Even Some Two Legged Ones) in the audience then there are people.

Well doesn't that apply to most places in NY? :P

j/k - gotta love NYC rats. ;)

I think your confusing that great line said in 1933 in "King Kong", when the Blonde sitting down asked the guy sitting next to her..."What's this show about?......His reply to her....."I think some sort of Gorilla"...and she responded to him as a guy walking in the aisle in front of her and stepping on her feet...."Don't we have enough of Gorillas in New York already?".........Seventy-Four years later and that line still holds up Today! LOL

Bartlett

I like this movie too. Sure, the plot is lightweight (as in many musicals). Still, the musical numbers were great. Fred and Rita were amazing together. I am disappointed that TCM didn't include their second collaboration, You Were Never Lovelier, among the Rita Hayworth films airing this month. My fingers are crossed that it will air in the future.

I am disappointed that TCM didn't include their second collaboration, You Were Never Lovelier, among the Rita Hayworth films airing this month. My fingers are crossed that it will air in the future.

Not scheduled in the next 3 months, but still hoping they can show it sometime soon! :)

[nobr]Rita's my favorite partner for Astaire, after Ginger. And she's so exquisitely beautiful at this period she just takes ones breath away.[/nobr]

[nobr]

youllnevertwoshot.jpg[/nobr]

marcco, I agree with your entire post! I really was looking forward to this movie last night and I wasn't disappointed at all. It was absolutely wonderful. Not only were the dances splendid, but I really enjoyed the comedy aspects. The scene inside the tent was hilarious, especially when the whole thing finally fell apart.

Personally, I think Rita was Fred's best dance partner (yes, even better than Ginger). I've always found Ginger to be a bit whiny in their movies. Rita's characters were a bit more independent and sophisiticated. Plus, the Astaire/Hayworth dances in both movies were just technically perfect. They really did compliment each other--they just seem to float on air.

I wish they would have shown "You Were Never Lovelier" as well, but I think that's in rotation on the Encore Love Stories channel. Perhaps TCM will have it soon, as a lot of the Columbia movies from pay cable seem to be showing up on TCM in the future ("All the King's Men" and "The Big Heat" are two examples of this)

I wish they would have shown "You Were Never Lovelier" as well, but I think that's in rotation on the Encore Love Stories channel. Perhaps TCM will have it soon, as a lot of the Columbia movies from pay cable seem to be showing up on TCM in the future ("All the King's Men" and "The Big Heat" are two examples of this)

Here's hoping to that! :D