Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrinceSaliano

Dennis Miller as a host

TCM with a touch of SNL. :huh:

Miller, was one of the biggest no-talent ego-maniacs they ever had on that show. (I gave him some slack on this one because nobody could take Chevy Chase's position as the #1 SNL jerk of all time--BTW what in the world happened to him?)

After SNL, Miller's big achievement was helping to hammer in the coffin nails to ABC's Monday Night Football.

Well, I guess that just goes to show you, even a jerk like Miller can't be all bad.LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miller, was one of the biggest no-talent ego-maniacs they ever had on that show. (I gave him some slack on this one because nobody could take Chevy Chase's position as the #1 SNL jerk of all time--BTW what in the world happened to him?)

After SNL, Miller's big achievement was helping to hammer in the coffin nails to ABC's Monday Night Football.

Well, I guess that just goes to show you, even a jerk like Miller can't be all bad.LOL

Eeh! You're probably still holding a grudge against Dennis for that SNL Weekend Update thing he once said about your Frenchy boy Depardieu there, Princess.

YOU remember, although maybe you don't, that time after reporting of yet another run-in with the French police and with the following picture of Depardieu being shown behind Miller as the Weekend Update anchor at the time...

article-2518845-16D068D3000005DC-703_306

...Miller turned around in his chair, looked at this picture of Depardieu and said...

"So THAT'S France's 'leading male sex symbol', eh?! Ya know, NOW I think I'm starting to understand that whole thing the French have for Jerry Lewis!"

LOL

(...yep, sorry Princess Francophile, but I STILL crack up every time I think of this, 'cause I think

THAT was one hell of a funny line!)

• Like 1

And, now that I've got THAT out of the way(again...I know I've mentioned that whole Depardieu line of Miller's a few times in the past around here already), sorry PrinceSaliano(boy, there sure is a lot of "royalty" around here lately, isn't there?!), but I thought Miller did a pretty damn good job presenting these Grade-Z movies this month, as so many of them almost cry out to be presented and intro-ed for the camp products that many of them are, AND almost exactly as Miller so sardonically did this month.

And so I SAY bring Dennis back anytime you want, TCM!

(...well, at least BEFORE you ever ask that stiff Matthew Broderick back ever again, anyway)

• Like 1

I liked Dennis Miller when he had his own show on HBO but then he became a real shill for Bush's war on Iraq. He was not suited at all for the football gig.  So, as he became more politically conservative I didn't care for him.  But, I thought he did a great job as the host of this month's monster movies  and I wouldn't mind seeing him again.  He was funny and he showed respect for the better films, citing mostly special effects people and directors.

• Like 3

I liked Dennis Miller when he had his own show on HBO but then he became a real shill for Bush's war on Iraq. He was not suited at all for the football gig.  So, as he became more politically conservative I didn't care for him.  But, I thought he did a great job as the host of this month's monster movies  and I wouldn't mind seeing him again.  He was funny and he showed respect for the better films, citing mostly special effects people and directors.

Yep Christine (and not to turn this into a political thread) but I TOO have had a hard time this past decade and a half trying to understand how Miller, who always seemed to me to be a reasonably intelligent man, could have become that "shill" of which you speak. But then again, it seems a lot of people were fooled by that fool back then, weren't they!

(...but now we better get off THAT sore subject, huh)

And yeah, I also agree with you that Miller's tenure in the MNF broadcast booth was one big misfire.

And, your thought about him toning down his sarcastic shtick and showing a little more reverence for the better films he presented this month was a good point too.

• Like 2

Thank you, Dargo.  Leaving politics out of it, Miller was a good host and I enjoyed watching him and would like to see him again.  I think my favorite guest hosts lately are (in order) Eddie Muller, Dennis Miller and Dave Karger.

• Like 2

And, now that I've got THAT out of the way(again...I know I've mentioned that whole Depardieu line of Miller's a few times in the past around here already), sorry PrinceSaliano(boy, there sure is a lot of "royalty" around here lately, isn't there?!), but I thought Miller did a pretty damn good job presenting these Grade-Z movies this month, as so many of them almost cry out to be presented and intro-ed for the camp products that many of them are, AND almost exactly as Miller so sardonically did this month.

And so I SAY bring Dennis back anytime you want, TCM!

(...well, at least BEFORE you ever ask that stiff Matthew Broderick back ever again, anyway)

I think so too.  A perfect Z-grade movie host.  Kind of a theme host who needs his own atmospheric set, like Eddie Muller.

For some reason this commercial has stuck in my mind all these years, I can't believe it has actually been that long (I haven't seen him as recently as the rest of you).  Anyhow I think more casual attire and a set like this would do wonders for some of his more zany intros, complete with a  bit of "outer space background noise" that he has to project his voice over, and maybe also a crooked V2 rocket-ship behind him:

• Like 1

YOU remember, although maybe you don't, that time after reporting of yet another run-in with the French police and with the following picture of Depardieu being shown behind Miller as the Weekend Update anchor at the time...

Hey, are you sure that's not Robert DeNiro?

Hey, are you sure that's not Robert DeNiro?

Well, do ya see any mole on his right cheek here, Rich?

(...nope, so it has to be the French guy then, right?!)

As I never tune in to TCM because of the HOST, I don't really care.  But, as to Miller...

The advantage to having him host would be largely to fill in extra TIME as it always seemed it took Miller FOREVER to get around to whatever point he was trying to make.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

MovieMadness, where's your standard post accusing TCM of making political choices for their hosts, followed by your claim that TCM viewers don't want people who express political opinions as host? Why are you silent about it  in the instance of this particular host who expresses his political opinions all the time in a variety of formats? I mean, Dennis is a billion times more in your face about his politics than Ben Mankiewicz. Yes, I wonder why you don't express your patented outrage THIS time.

(Actually, I don't wonder. I know why.)

• Like 5

Without wnting to segue into yet another silly political thing, I concur with your knowledge as to why MM was silent on this Sewhite.

Just like in most cases "fake news" is ANY news that exposes facts that the one they're about doesn't WANT anyone to know, or makes him look bad( as if THAT can be avoided!).

So, we now return you to this thread, already in progress......  ;)

Sepiatone

Do not have this man back.

MovieMadness, where's your standard post accusing TCM of making political choices for their hosts, followed by your claim that TCM viewers don't want people who express political opinions as host? Why are you silent about it in the instance of this particular host who expresses his political opinions all the time in a variety of formats? I mean, Dennis is a billion times more in your face about his politics than Ben Mankiewicz. Yes, I wonder why you don't express your patented outrage THIS time.

(Actually, I don't wonder. I know why.)

This may be Dennis Miller's last chance at a real job - - let's hope he doesn't screw it up.

• Like 1

TCM should save money on hosts -- salaries and travel expenses -- and buy some more film rights. Now that we have lost RO, this is a time to consider this seriously. OK, we can have Ben once in a while; and perhaps someone closely connected to a film (Whit Stillman talking about his films is an ideal example), but apart from that, NO HOSTS!

Eeh! You're probably still holding a grudge against Dennis for that SNL Weekend Update thing he once said about your Frenchy boy Depardieu there, Princess.

...Miller turned around in his chair, looked at this picture of Depardieu and said...

"So THAT'S France's 'leading male sex symbol', eh?! Ya know, NOW I think I'm starting to understand that whole thing the French have for Jerry Lewis!"

LOL

(...yep, sorry Princess Francophile, but I STILL crack up every time I think of this, 'cause I think

THAT was one hell of a funny line!)

I vote no on Miller. I mean if you don't get why the French revere Jerry Lewis films then enough said.

• Like 1

I liked Dennis Miller when he had his own show on HBO but then he became a real shill for Bush's war on Iraq.

So he's no worse than Jane Fonda.

So he's no worse than Jane Fonda.

I for one would rather look at Jane than Dennis (especially 60s Jane).   But yea,  the fact Miller moved right shouldn't impact one's view of his comedic talents.     My view is that he is a one-trick pony; I.e.  the majority of his humor stems from stressing in an over-the-top way what he finds to be over-the-top views or behaviors.    

I liked how he was as a TCM host and one could tell he loves those B creature flicks.    (unlike say Matthew Broderick, who was so deadpan when hosting comedy films).

The TCM gig was a good way for Miller to get exposure especially since Bill-O will no longer be inviting him to his show.

• Like 1

TCM should save money on hosts -- salaries and travel expenses -- and buy some more film rights. Now that we have lost RO, this is a time to consider this seriously. OK, we can have Ben once in a while; and perhaps someone closely connected to a film (Whit Stillman talking about his films is an ideal example), but apart from that, NO HOSTS!

I'm inclined to agree with you. TCM Underground (of all things) doesn't have host.

I'm inclined to agree with you. TCM Underground (of all things) doesn't have host.

It originally had Rob Zombie as host, but that didn't last too long.

I worked around Dennis briefly when he was in Pittsburgh, just starting out. Nice enough guy, but he, like most comedians, desperately needed "the love."  When he began doing right wing radio years later I thought, "He's going with the flow and just trying to make a buck." No idea if that is true, or if he really believed what he was doing and saying....but he really doesn't belong on TCM.

Get me more Eddie Mullers - people who truly understand the movies and bring something unique to their intros.....

• Like 2