Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrinceSaliano

Dennis Miller as a host

I worked around Dennis briefly when he was in Pittsburgh, just starting out. Nice enough guy, but he, like most comedians, desperately needed "the love."  When he began doing right wing radio years later I thought, "He's going with the flow and just trying to make a buck." No idea if that is true, or if he really believed what he was doing and saying....but he really doesn't belong on TCM.

Get me more Eddie Mullers - people who truly understand the movies and bring something unique to their intros.....

There is only one Eddie Muller.

• Like 1

I worked around Dennis briefly when he was in Pittsburgh, just starting out. Nice enough guy, but he, like most comedians, desperately needed "the love."  When he began doing right wing radio years later I thought, "He's going with the flow and just trying to make a buck." No idea if that is true, or if he really believed what he was doing and saying....but he really doesn't belong on TCM.

Get me more Eddie Mullers - people who truly understand the movies and bring something unique to their intros.....

Did you see Dennis on TCM?   I felt he did good.   He clearly loved and had knowledge about those B movie sci-fi films he introduced and generally that is all a TCM host has to show us;  deep love and knowledge of the films they are presenting.

What do you really mean by 'he doesn't belong on TCM'?  

(oh and I'm NOT a fan of his current political stances but that isn't the point,,,, or is it??).

• Like 4

Ugh, no. I will not be watching this extreme right wing shill present anything, he does not have my support, no matter what platform it is. I will find something else to watch on Friday nights. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHY do we need some celebrity telling us what their favorite movies are???? WHO CARES???

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, hicountryho said:

Ugh, no. I will not be watching this extreme right wing shill present anything, he does not have my support, no matter what platform it is. I will find something else to watch on Friday nights. 

Conservatives have made the same point about Ben (and of course Alex Baldwin).     For me as long as the host doesn't interject their political POV,  I have no problem with hosts from either 'side'.

• Like 6

Long before I knew anything about his politics I found him obnoxious, self-important, and unfunny. Watching TCM is my relaxing time, his delivery is anything but relaxing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hicountryho said:

Long before I knew anything about his politics I found him obnoxious, self-important, and unfunny. Watching TCM is my relaxing time, his delivery is anything but relaxing. 

Yeah, I never liked him even in his early days. Smug and full of himself........

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hicountryho said:

I agree with you here since I also dislike his delivery and sense of humor.

• Like 4

Boy, I LOVED Dennis Miller back in the day! I watched him religiously on Saturday Night Live, watched virtually every ep of his short-lived traditional late-night talk show and turned in every week for his HBO show. I even checked out some of his movies and tried to watch Monday Night Football. Also, I saw all of his stand-up specials. Oh, yeah, I bought his books too. Yes, he was smug and smarmy, but I found it all part of his charm, very different from anything else going on at that time. I think Bill Maher probably owes a lot to Miller, honestly.

I believe I once read him say that 9/11 made him take on a more hardcore rightist political viewpoint. I had several dogmatic leftist friends (I'm pretty lefty myself, but maybe not so dogmatic) who became horrified by this transformation and abandoned him out of principle. I didn't really care so much as long as I still thought he was funny. It became harder to find him anywhere. I saw him occasionally pop up on Bill O'Reilly, although I didn't care for him applying his humor techniques strictly to mocking Democrats (he was much more equal-opportunity skewer-er back in the day). I don't know if he appears on Fox News anymore after O'Reilly's departure. I guess finally his schtick has kind of grown old for me. The last few times I've seen him anywhere, seems to rely on old tropes a bit too much, just applying them to new people and situations. I was tempted, however, to go to a comedy show about an hour's drive from my home that was featuring him and a couple of other SNL vets (I've already forgotten who), but I opted against it.

• Like 2

I wonder if Miller will be using the hilarious intellectual name dropping that he used on MNF.

Randy Moss has a greater alienation effect than Brecht. A two point conversion. 'Tis a

consummation Detroit wishes for.

• Sad 1

Those aren't actual examples, but they give the general flavor of what Miller did. I can't

remember who the other two announcers were, but they usually said nothing or just

groaned. The funny thing was the stretch that Miller had to make between football

and his "witticisms." George Will does a lot of name dropping, but at least with Will

it sounds organic.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Al Michaels was one of them.

Wonder what he thought when he first heard Miller's shtick. Is he going to keep this

up for the entire game!

I can't imagine Miller playing a game of, say, FAMILY FEUD, in which contestants have to give quick responses to a question.  Miller always took so long to get to the punchline of a joke that by the time he did you forgot what he was trying to joke about to begin with.  The path he beats around a bush to get to any point has GOT to be EIGHT FEET DEEP!.  

But last night's sitting with MARTIN SHORT was a treat.  Martin NEVER disappoints.  :D  LOVED him and his collection of silly characters in his SCTV days.  

Sepiatone

The second ep of Dennis Miller and Martin Short was also terrific. Short's story of guesting on The Tonight Show with Bette Davis had me in a fit of laughter. Allowing that Miller has been gray listed by some for his politics, he's a very genial host in this arrangement. I'd be glad to have this series extended in 2020.

• Like 2

We'll see how the rest of these goes. I certainly enjoyed the intros/outros I watched with Miller and Short, though I suspect most of the Miller haters on here will only give credit to Short. I wasn't really aware of Miller being "gray-listed", although I don't see him popping up in movies anymore like he did before becoming more overtly political, so that certainly seems plausible (some irony, I suppose, one used to get blacklisted for being too left and now graylisted for being too right). I liked Miller discussing how much he liked the gentleness of the satire in one of the movies, I think The Big Picture. It sounded really sincere to me. He certainly doesn't seem to be angling only for movies that express a certain political viewpoint.

I also loved Short mentioning he once saw Robert Osborne heading for Bette Davis' apartment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:51 PM, hicountryho said:

While I agree with the "right wing shill" thing, I however, will refuse to let some tight-bunned right wing bloviator cause me to miss a movie I enjoy.  He just gives me another excuse for refilling my coffee cup, or opening a noisy bag of chips(which will drown out his noise).  ;) 

On 10/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Conservatives have made the same point about Ben (and of course Alex Baldwin).     For me as long as the host doesn't interject their political POV,  I have no problem with hosts from either 'side'.

True.  And contrary to what some here have tried to pass off, I never heard Ben interject any political POV during any of the intros I've seen.   Now, one of my oldest friends is (and has been for about the last 20 or so years) a fervent right wing conservative.  I still consider him a good friend, but he hasn't much to do with me since I'm not a right-winger( in fact, I'm not beholden to any ideology).  And from my neutral standpoint I notice that about conservatives.  They, more so than those who consider themselves "liberals",  will take on a "If you're not with us, then you're against us" attitude.  And of the two "wings", the right wingers are usually more condescending and snarky. The only thing the two sides have in common is an equal level of self righteousness.

Sepiatone

On 5/26/2017 at 12:24 AM, ChristineHoard said:

I liked Dennis Miller when he had his own show on HBO but then he became a real shill for Bush's war on Iraq. He was not suited at all for the football gig.  So, as he became more politically conservative I didn't care for him.  But, I thought he did a great job as the host of this month's monster movies  and I wouldn't mind seeing him again.  He was funny and he showed respect for the better films, citing mostly special effects people and directors.

That is exactly why I don't care for Dennis Miller: his stand on the war in Iraq in 2003. He turned me off ever since!

I've seen a couple of the intros/outros. Okay, but nothing special. Sort of what you would

expect two comics to talk about. I think they screwed up on a minor point about Myrna

Loy's detailed color scheme instructions. She didn't mention egg yolks, rather margarine.

Whatever.

Did anybody catch the funny story Martin Short had about Bette Davis following The Big Picture? He said that she satirically had a sign on the door of her apartment saying "No Smoking Please".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Did anybody catch the funny story Martin Short had about Bette Davis following The Big Picture? He said that she satirically had a sign on the door of her apartment saying "No Smoking Please".

Had me in stitches.

What the intros and outros with Ben and Rita Wilson;   While I appreciated how much loves the movies and stars they were showing (Stanwyck \ Davis),   Rita was really unprepared \ uninformed.    E.g. when discussing Now, Voyager:  Rita mentions Charlotte's "girlfriend on the boat":   First the gal and her husband were Jerry's friends and she was played by Lee Patrick, WB contract player,  well known for her role in The Maltese Falcon.  

Such hosts don't offer old-timers like myself any new information about the films, actors, etc... related to the films being shown (unlike, say,  Eddie Muller).       

I guess I shouldn't expect any insight from such host.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

What the intros and outros with Ben and Rita Wilson;   While I appreciated how much loves the movies and stars they were showing (Stanwyck \ Davis),   Rita was really unprepared \ uninformed.    E.g. when discussing Now, Voyager:  Rita mentions Charlotte's "girlfriend on the boat":   First the gal and her husband were Jerry's friends and she was played by Lee Patrick, WB contract player,  well known for her role in The Maltese Falcon.  

Such hosts don't offer old-timers like myself any new information about the films, actors, etc... related to the films being shown (unlike, say,  Eddie Muller).       

I guess I shouldn't expect any insight from such host.

If the hosts aren't going to offer any new insights, why are they there?  If it's incorrect it bugs me, if it's overplayed and trite it bugs me.  I love to hear Eddie Muller because he always offers something new.  Don't know how he does it, but he does - so it can be done.  I've been following movies since I was in my early years, hearing stories from Grandmother during those war tours and then stuff that they knew about them as it happened, sometimes now long forgotten things.  I love to hear new things, different things to learn - so a vivid history why waste it on somebody who can't recall the difference in serious wording such as the color of margarine vs. egg yolks - which are VERY different and a big note in the picture somebody mentioned above.  It was really funny how Myrna Loy picked this tiny little fleck of yellow and specified it to a daily household item that we all related to and the host totally blew it.  Some may call it minutia, but I call it detail and details are important!

I love the details and this is why the hosts are there - to explore the historical details with us. If they can't pull their weight, put Eddie Muller on and have him mix up some cocktails and get down to some serious detail talking with us!  He's funny AND he's smart!

lmc

Trust me here, I understand the feeling of being let down by the various celebs who over the years have appeared in a guest hosting or guest co-hosting capacity on TCM. (and don't EVEN get me started on probably THE worst of the lot...the time a few years back when Matthew Broderick was a total damn STIFF during his turn of introducing a series of screwball comedies)

However, what we have to remember here is that obviously TCM does these sorts of "guest programing" series is for the very reason that the programming decision makers believe this sort of "stunt programming" might have more people tuning into their channel, and just because of the name recognition associated with these celebs. And, I'll guess here, it DOES probably work to some small degree.

But sure, half of them, and I'm being generous here, seem to possess a mere FRACTION of the knowledge of studio era Hollywood films that many of the regular contributors to these very forum boards possess.

(...bottom line: We are now a country that prizes "Celebrity" almost above all else, and be the celeb or celebs TRULY knowledgeable about the subject they're conversing about or not...and evidently in many cases, and unfortunately in TOO many cases, "not"!)