Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Clint Eastwood: Political correctness would stop Dirty Harry being made today

I always wondered what happened to Clint Eastwood's first wife Maggie-- she's the mother of two of his children, Alison and Kyle.

I always call the first wife the starter wife - - because she was the one that was with him when he had nothing and was just starting his career. She was the one who had to make the sacrifices and give him the support that he needed to get started in Show Business.

Reportedly Clint often beat Maggie.

In 2013 Maggie and Clint's daughter, Alison got married. Reportedly Clint and his second wife Dina nearly ruined this celebration with their marital Discord.

And I didn't even mention Sondra Locke-- in 1997 she wrote an autobiographical book called:

The Good the Bad and the Very Ugly-- a Hollywood Journey.

DELISH!!!!!!

• Like 1

We don't have censorship in films anymore on any level--

But Kansas is just that way and you still cannot buy Whiskey in a Kansas grocery store. I wish that was covered by the First Amendment!

They need whiskey (or something with alcohol) in Kansas with Sam Brownback as governor (oops -off topic)!

They need whiskey (or something with alcohol) in Kansas with Sam Brownback as governor (oops -off topic)!

Don't forget we're the home of the Temperance Queen Carrie Nation--

BTW-- I can't find anyone in the state who would now admit that they voted for Brownback but, somebody did!

The one good thing that Trump may do is to take Brownback out of Kansas. LOL

• Like 1

Don't forget we're the home of the Temperance Queen Carrie Nation--

BTW-- I can't find anyone in the state who would now admit that they voted for Brownback but, somebody did!

The one good thing that Trump may do is to take Brownback out of Kansas. LOL

Oh, swell, now Trump is going to foist Brownback on the rest of us?!?  Just like he did with Jeff Sessions, et al (oops - sorry, off topic again.  I'll try to stop.)

Oh, swell, now Trump is going to foist Brownback on the rest of us?!? Just like he did with Jeff Sessions, et al (oops - sorry, off topic again. I'll try to stop.)

Nah Girl, you good.

• Like 1

Clint Eastwood: Political correctness would stop Dirty Harry being made today

Clint Eastwood thinks that his classic cop thriller ‘Dirty Harry’ couldn’t be made today, thanks to political correctness.

Speaking during an on-stage interview at the Cannes Film Festival, the 86-year-old actor and director said: “A lot of people thought it was politically incorrect.

“That was at the beginning of the era that we’re in now, where everybody thinks everyone’s politically correct. We’re killing ourselves by doing that.

“We’ve lost our sense of humour.”

‘Dirty Harry’ does feature as its antagonist a racist, homophobic serial murderer in actor Andy Robinson’s deranged Scorpio.

Too bad this movie is never shown anymore, it certainly wouldn't be made.

As well it should.

Tell that to the ratings board.

Gah, it's maybe been 17 or 18 years now, but I saw the most interesting documentary once about the MPAA ratings system. I think it was called THIS FILM HAS NOT YET BEEN RATED....

You've probably already seen it, but if not- I'm sure it's on YouTube. In all honesty, a bunch of monkeys throwing darts at a wall would be less arbitrary then the panel that – at the time at least – was making the calls.

• Like 2

The whole history of censorship is fascinating. I wonder if TCM will ever devote some programming to the subject.

Maybe, but probably not without a "disclaimer"  ;)  ("Viewer discretion is advised")

Sepiatone

I like Eastwood, one of my fav old school actors, but he might need to see more films, or connect with modern audiences.  The reason they might not make "Dirty Harry" today is the same reason they made it way back....MONEY.  Has nothing to do with being political correct.

If Hollywood thought the film would make money, they'd release it.  Violence, racial stereotyping, ect, that receive negative publicity ...they release films like this frequently.  Just went back and saw one again this past week..."Ghost In The Shell".  "The Hunger Games"....there are a lot of VERY big budget Hollywood movies that aren't PC.

Maybe modern audiences just don't want to see a film like "Dirty Harry" in theaters.  Times change.  A medium budget R rated film with a high paid leading man might not be what a film company wishes to release.  And they do release films like this, just not nearly as many.  Also many film studios wants their films to be INCLUSIVE, where all are welcome.  People from all places...all types, LBGT community, all races and genders.  

Eastwood sometimes comes off as being an out-of-touch old man, which i doubt that he is, but that's what he wants.  Personally, I like "Dirty Harry", even though the film came out before I was even born. I like Eastwood's westerns, same as Randolph Scott, and John Wayne.  I have many of these films in my collection.   "Dirty Harry", and others, are widely available.  SO...more modern audiences can, and do, still enjoy the film.  

Anyways here's the interview at Cannes:

The whole history of censorship is fascinating. I wonder if TCM will ever devote some programming to the subject.

Great post, great points....although, they did do a pretty good documentary about the implementation of the Hayes code and the rather liberal sensibilities of films that came before 1934. I think it was called FORBIDDEN (?)

Pauline Kael called the film fascist when it was released, a ridiculous criticism.  I love this film, one of the best action/suspense films of the 1970s. I didn't see it as political, just a tough film about a hard nosed cop vs. a nasty psycho.

• Like 1

Great post, great points....although, they did do a pretty good documentary about the implementation of the Hayes code and the rather liberal sensibilities of films that came before 1934. I think it was called FORBIDDEN (?)

I think I remember that. But I'd like to see some of the silent films that underwent censorship. Many of those films dealt with some pretty advanced issues, like racism, drug abuse, and suicide.

An interesting aspect of the Dirty Harry films is the "evolution" of Albert Popwell throughout those films. In the original, he's the bank robber but he survives. In Magnum Force, he is a pimp and gets wasted by one of the rogue cops. In The Enforcer, he's a black militant and survives. In Sudden Impact, he's Harry's buddy and gets killed. I wonder why he wasn't cast in The Dead Pool

Oh, I see Jake just posted the "do you feel lucky" scene with Popwell..

Edited by scsu1975
  • Like 1

Pauline Kael called the film fascist when it was released, a ridiculous criticism.

I mostly like Pauline Kael, but she can sometimes miss the boat on things.

• Like 1

An interesting aspect of the Dirty Harry films is the "evolution" of Albert Popwell throughout those films. In the original, he's the bank robber but he survives. In Magnum Force, he is a pimp and gets wasted by one of the rogue cops. In The Enforcer, he's a black militant and survives. In Sudden Impact, he's Harry's buddy and gets killed. I wonder why he wasn't cast in The Dead Pool

According to his Wikipedia page, Popwell had a scheduling conflict and was unavailable for "The Dead Pool." 

According to his Wikipedia page, Popwell had a scheduling conflict and was unavailable for "The Dead Pool." 

Too bad, he livened up the series. I really loved him as "Big Ed" Mustapha in The Enforcer. His exchanges with Eastwood were hilarious.

Too bad, he livened up the series. I really loved him as "Big Ed" Mustapha in The Enforcer. His exchanges with Eastwood were hilarious.

Maybe he was a good-luck charm for Eastwood, as Hector Elizondo was for Garry Marshall.

elizondo-marshall-435.jpg?w=435&h=580&cr

that's what we need. fearless badasse cops tempered with a sense of humor.

here's the real message of the dirty harry films and any intuitive person can see it quite easily...

Harry knows!...that street thugs and assorted vermin are exploiting the chinks in our law enforcement and judicial systems brought about by egg suckers like the ACLU and the liberal wing of the democrat party.

harry callahan knows that ordinary people have to be protected so why not him?

:D

Pauline Kael called the film fascist when it was released, a ridiculous criticism.  I love this film, one of the best action/suspense films of the 1970s. I didn't see it as political, just a tough film about a hard nosed cop vs. a nasty psycho.

Um, it is fascist.  Just because you don't see it as political doesn't mean it isn't virulently so.

Thus far this has been one of the most fascinating threads we've had in a very long time.

Really enjoying reading what everyone has to say.

EDIT: um, ALMOST everyone, that is....

• Like 2

Harry knows!...that street thugs and assorted vermin are exploiting the chinks in our law enforcement and judicial systems brought about by egg suckers like the ACLU and the liberal wing of the democrat party.

harry callahan knows that ordinary people have to be protected so why not him?

:D

I'm just surprised the "autocensor" let you by with the word "chinks"!  Until I post, I'm not sure I'M gonna get by.  ;)

Anyway, when I brought all this up to a family member, he pointed out he always looked at the "Dirty Harry" movies as "live action" cartoons.  A "cartoon " stereotype of a hard nosed dedicated cop dealing with stereotypical "cartoon" bad guys.

Sepiatone

Um, it is fascist.  Just because you don't see it as political doesn't mean it isn't virulently so.

Can you define the fascist elements of the film?  

Can you define the fascist elements of the film?

It's been maybe 30 years since I've seen the movie...

(an aside: I saw it for the first and only time with my dad when I was maybe nine years old. I have cool parents and they let me watch pretty much whatever- and obviously I turned out great- HA!)

I think the fascist criticism lobbed towards the film is the fact that Harry Callahan is a law onto himself, and it pretty much portrays civilized society with its rules, regulations and norms as ineffective- and in order to keep everyone safe, we have to have this Uber violent police state. Vigilantes who are unregulated and allowed to be judge, jury, and executioner all in one are – according to the film – the only ones who can truly solve society's ills.

As I recall it, the killer is actually coddled by the press and maybe even released by the judicial system?

"IT WAS CALLAHAN- THE BIG ONE!!! HE DID THIS TO ME!!!!!"

• Like 2