Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

"The Strawberry Blonde" (1941)

Thank you, thank you, thank you TCM for showing this movie as part of Rita Hayworth - SOTM....

I don't know what issues may have held up the DVD release but this one is definitely a treat -- who wouldn't love it? Cagney fans, Hayworth fans, de Havilland fans -- and I'm all three! :x

Even better, you showed One Sunday Afternoon (1948) on Monday, and thanks to the magic of TiVo we can set up a double-feature at home with both movies back-to-back.

Thank you, TCM! :x

Heh, I'd forgotten about the sing-a-long at the end of the movie (before the cast listing).

Casey would waltz with a STRAWBERRY BLONDE

And the band played on

He'd glide cross the floor

With the girl he a-dored

And the band played on

But his brain was so loaded, it nearly exploded

The poor girl would shake with a-larm

He'd ne'er leave the girl with the straw-ber-ry curls,

And the band played on

Biff Grimes would waltz with a STRAWBERRY BLONDE

And the band played on

He'd glide cross the floor

With the girl he a-dored

And the band played on

An underrated gem. I looooove Olivia de Havilland in this movie. She and James Cagney had some wonderful chemistry here. I'm glad they had the chance to work together at least once in their marvelous careers.

Rita Hayworth is stunning as always, and the supporting cast is a delight as always. George Tobias and Alan Hale rarely disappoint.

The story has been filmed three times that I know of, including the 1933 and 1948 versions of One Sunday Afternoon, and as good as those movies are, this one is still my very favorite!! :x

Interestingly, Rita Hayworth wasn't originally going to be in the picture - that part was originally intended for Ann Sheridan... according to the TCM article,

Warner's Ann Sheridan, the "Oomph Girl", was initially meant to play the Virginia role, but balked at the script. As a replacement, Hayworth was loaned to Warners by Columbia and brought her typical enigmatic, frosty perfection to the role. Her fortuitous securing of the role in The Strawberry Blonde helped establish her sex queen status as the "Love Goddess." Though a confident mantrap on camera, Hayworth was just a shy, reserved girl off, causing Cagney to marvel at how, after her scenes, she would just "go back to her chair and sit there and not communicate."