Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars 2008 - You do you want to see?

I'm still a bit of a novice on the TCM boards so I have no idea whether or not a thread with suggestions for what stars to feature next August will be read or taken into consideration by The Powers That Be. Even if not, I thought it would be fun for community members to put there ideas out there. Here are mine:

First, I'd like to see a couple more character actors:

Eve Arden

Charles Coburn

Frank Morgan

Beulah Bondi

Other stars:

Laraine Day

Teresa Wright

Van Heflin (he might be considered a character actor)

Vivien Leigh

Leslie Howard

Rock Hudson

James Steward (might as well keep his streak alive, but next year why not feature his Hitchcock films?)

Madeleine Carroll

Ronald Coleman

Frederic March

Ginger Rogers

Margaret Sullavan

Joel Mccrae

Lillian Gish

John Barrymore

I've tried to avoid stars that have been featured this August, with the exception of Stewart. And, also to focus on stars that aren't heavily featured on TCM anyway (hepburn, grant, stanwyck, etc).

This leads me to a suggestion for the TCM website/database that I'll post here since I'm not sure where I should post it otherwise: it would be nice to have an archive, a list at the very least, of past Stars of The Month and Spotlights of the Month. That way, people could check to see when, if ever, a star had been featured, like Irene Dunne in my case. If it isn't possible to link to the featured information for a specific month, a list of the film that were shown would be nice, too. I noticed when searching the photos that there are galleries from past stars/features of the month, but there is no centralized area to discover who and what was shown and when. Just a suggestion.

Someone posted a thread a couple of weeks ago. I'll include my list again here (and there are more than 31 names listed):

Lillian Gish

Harold Lloyd

Lon Chaney

Marion Davies

Peter Lorre

Robert Ryan

Lawrence Tierney

Lee Tracy

William Powell

Joan Blondell

Dorothy McGuire

Anne Baxter

Eleanor Parker

Sterling Hayden

Sal Mineo

Claude Rains

Gloria Grahame

Dick Powell

Arthur Kennedy

Richard Burton

Joanne Woodward

Jean Simmons

Ben Johnson

Warren Oates

George Kennedy

Melvyn Douglas

James Mason

Mickey Rooney

Ann Sheridan

Rod Taylor

Walter Pidgeon

Michael Caine

Julie Christie

Robert Redford

Warren Beatty

Donald Sutherland

Gene Hackman

Jack Nicholson

I think many of the classic film veterans that inhabit this board are looking for something fresh out of "Summer Under the Stars" and I believe a focus on character actors would be a way to freshly present some films while also giving the ignorant classic film watchers -- arrow points to me -- a way to still see the bigger stars and films.

So here's hoping for "Summer UNDER the Stars" in 2008.

One thing I would like to see more of concernning Summer Under the Stars are silent stars being featured, I mean there is fan base for silents among those who watch TCM, and I agree with you that even though TCM does feature alot of Jimmy Stewart, they really don't show his Hitchcock films and it would be a good idea for TCM to focus on them one year, but thats because I love his Hitchcock films, especially Rear Window. Also I think maybe TCM could focus on certain directors, I mean they are stars too.

• 1 month later...

How about those stars never featured because they made most of their movies at Fox, and therefore usually seen on FMC:

Will Rogers

Alice Faye

Tyrone Power

Don Ameche

Linda Darnell

Gene Tierney

Betty Grable

Anne Baxter

Jeanne Crain

June Haver

John Payne

GeorgeMontgomery

Carmen Miranda

Vivian Blaine

Clifton Webb

Jean Peters

Richard Conte

Dana Andrews

Cornel Wilde

Laird Cregar

Mitzi Gaynor

Dan Dailey

Celeste Holm

Marilyn Monroe

Dale robertson

Sheree North

jayne Mansfield

Debra Paget

Joan Collins

etc...

I know TCM occasionally plays 20th movies, but if it can't be done, then focus on those that some of these artists made at other studios.

Last year was very disappointing. Here's my picks for next year.

1. LIONEL ATWILL

2. BELA LUGOSI

3. WILLIAM HAINES

4. JOHN GILBERT

5. RAMON NOVARRO

6. MARION DAVIES

7. KAY FRANCIS

8. WHEELER & WOOLSEY

9. CONSTANCE BENNETT

10. HELEN TWELVETREES

11. ANN HARDING

12. WILLIAM POWELL

13. LON CHANEY

14. NANCY CARROLL (must include Paramount titles)

15. CLARA BOW (must include Paramount titles)

16. CHESTER MORRIS

17. CAROLE LOMBARD (Paramount & Columbia)

18. RICHARD BARTHELMESS

19. FAY WRAY (Paramount & Columbia)

20. LUPE VELEZ

21. ZASU PITTS (must include Universal titles)

22. Director JAMES WHALE (must include Universal titles)

23. CLAUDE RAINS (must include Universal titles)

24. GLORIA STUART (must include Universal titles)

25. LAUREL & HARDY

26. PRESTON FOSTER

27. LEE TRACY

28. JOAN BLONDELL

29. EAST SIDE KIDS/BOWERY BOYS

30. REPUBLIC WESTERN HEROES (Rogers, Autry, Elliott, Three Mesquiteers)

31. BASIL RATHBONE (must include Universal titles)

"...it would be nice to have an archive, a list at the very least, of past Stars of The Month and Spotlights of the Month. " - mjryan

Hi mjryan -

Here's a way to find some of the information you would like.

At the top of this page there is a link to the "This Month" section of the website. Click on that.

When that page loads, there will be a search window near the top of that page woth two options -

- movie database, or

- site.

Tic the "site" option and type in "Star Of The Month" and hit enter.

You will receive a short list with the first six results and a link to "see next 40 results". Click on that and you will find a list featuring 40 TCM webarticles about past Stars Of The Month. There are also two more pages of links to articles like this one for Joan Fontaine -

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=107419

or this one which seems quite appropriate to review after today's sad news -

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=121562

The "profile" articles often have an accompanying list of all the Star's films being shown during the month-long salute.

Is this a complete and concise list of the Stars Of The Month? No. But with a little work, you will be able to review most of the previous "Honorees" - but only those chosen since about 2002. Sadly, the archives of the webarticles only goes back that far.

I believe there was a post in these Message Boards listing most of the past Stars Of The Month (Or previous Summer Under The Stars designees. I'm not sure right now.) I will see if I can search it out for you.

I will also see what might be the easiest method to "dig out" the past Spotlights Of The Month.

Kyle In Hollywood