Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star centennial birthdays

10 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Ricardo Montalbán, born November 25th, 1920!

ricardo-montalban_402517.jpg

I always admired the fact that Montalbán was so good at playing the genial Mr. Roarke on ABC's "Fantasy Island," but even better at reprising the villainous Khan Noonien Singh in the 1982 feature film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."  Montalbán first played Khan in the 1967 "Star Trek" episode "Space Seed."

See the source image

In a 2011 interview, the actor recalled how he re-created Khan through several viewings of the old NBC TV episode.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Virginia Mayo, born November 30th, 1920!

virginia-mayo-1950s,2409063.jpg

In 1944, Mayo was a Goldwyn Girl -- a member of a group of actresses/female dancers who appeared in movies produced by Samuel Goldwyn. She was one of several Goldwyn Girls who played nurses in the 1944 musical "Up in Arms," which starred Danny Kaye. As fate would have it. she soon became a major star and co-starred with Kaye in four films: "Wonder Man" (1945, pictured below), "The Kid From Brooklyn" (1946), "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (1947) and "A Song Is Born" (1948).

Wonder Man (1945) - Danny Kaye | Wonder man, Virginia mayo, Youtube

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Ricardo Montalban was born on the eve of my birthday...that's cool!  I always thought he was underrated as an actor, but like so many who made their mark first as a motion picture star, he transitioned nicely into television roles too. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, jakeem said:

In 1944, Mayo was a Goldwyn Girl -- a member of a group of actresses/female dancers who appeared in movies produced by Samuel Goldwyn. She was one of several Goldwyn Girls who played nurses in the 1944 musical "Up in Arms," which starred Danny Kaye. As fate would have it. she soon became a major star and co-starred with Kaye in four films: "Wonder Man" (1945, pictured below), "The Kid From Brooklyn" (1946), "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (1947) and "A Song Is Born" (1948).

It's interesting that even though Mayo was a trained dancer, she never had a dance number with Kaye in any of their films together. I know that role was Vera-Ellen's, but I wish they could have paired them as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...