Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star centennial birthdays

Thank goodness, she lived long enough to receive an honorary Academy Award on March 21, 1994. It'll be interesting to see how her presenter, Glenn Close, finally gets one.

• Like 2

Happy centennial birthday to James Allen Whitmore, Jr (James Whitmore), born  on October 1st, 1921 in White Plains, New York!

1d337d65-6992-4d8a-a47e-9e5bb90d74dc_1.74ab03526f62c7197ab39178c0fae937.jpeg

7 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to James Allen Whitmore, Jr (James Whitmore), born  on October 1st, 1921 in White Plains, New York!

1d337d65-6992-4d8a-a47e-9e5bb90d74dc_1.74ab03526f62c7197ab39178c0fae937.jpeg

A dependable actor, whether he was cast as a durable World War II soldier with frostbitten feet..

See the source image

...a White writer who had his skin darkened in order to experience conditions for Blacks in the 1950s Deep South...

See the source image

...or one of our greatest presidents.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy centennial birthday to Ivo Livi (Yves Montand), born on October 13th, 1921 in Monsummano Terme, Italy!

740full-yves-montand.jpg

10 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Ivo Livi (Yves Montand), born on October 13th, 1921 in Monsummano Terme, Italy!

740full-yves-montand.jpg

I'm surprised that no one has filmed a story about Montand and his relationship with Marilyn Monroe during the shooting of their 1960 romance with music, "Let's Make Love." But who would they ever get to portray Montand's actress-wife Simone Signoret?

Yves Montand and Marilyn Monroe: The perfect pair on the set of “Let's Make  Love” | Vogue Paris

• Like 1

While watching EYES WITHOUT A FACE this afternoon, I realized I failed to write a centennial birthday post for Alida Maria Laura Altenburger von Marckenstein Frauenberg (Alida Valli) who was born on May 31st, 1921 in Pola, Italy!

94c70f03a1b83defea0f51da248779e3--classic-actresses-classic-beauty.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

While watching EYES WITHOUT A FACE this afternoon, I realized I failed to write a centennial birthday post for Alida Maria Laura Altenburger von Marckenstein Frauenberg (Alida Valli) who was born on May 31st, 1921 in Pola, Italy!

94c70f03a1b83defea0f51da248779e3--classic-actresses-classic-beauty.jpg

Valli was memorable in one of the greatest-ever movie endings. Classic cold-shoulder treatment.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy centennial birthday to Charles Dennis Buchinsky (Charles Bronson), born on November 3rd, 1921 in Ehrenfeld, Pennsylvania!

650bb67754ffe4d4d2faffb01d2c7dd4.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Charles Dennis Buchinsky (Charles Bronson), born on November 3rd, 1921 in Ehrenfeld, Pennsylvania!

650bb67754ffe4d4d2faffb01d2c7dd4.jpg

One of Bronson's most famous roles was Danny Velinski, the claustrophobic "Tunnel King" in John Sturges' "The Great Escape" (1963). As it happened, the actor actually had a fear of confined spaces dating back to his days as a youthful coal miner in Pennsylvania.

See the source image
  • Like 2

Happy centennial birthday to Jean Michael Saks (Gene Saks), born on November 8th, 1921 in New York City, New York!

144322572_1427650771.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, jakeem said:

Classic cold-shoulder treatment.

Yeah, that ending always breaks my heart, so much so that I don't think I'm going to play the video link. Poor Joseph Cotten, whose character is such a hopeless romantic in this movie. But he does the right thing regarding the reprehensible monster the Valli character is in love with (who was also once his friend) , and this is what he gets in "thanks".

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, that ending always breaks my heart, so much so that I don't think I'm going to play the video link. Poor Joseph Cotten, whose character is such a hopeless romantic in this movie. But he does the right thing regarding the reprehensible monster the Valli character is in love with (who was also once his friend) , and this is what he gets in "thanks".

I saw it coming the first time I watched the movie. There was no way she would ever forgive Cotten's character for what he did to Harry Lime.

Happy centennial birthday to Robert Alba Keith (Brian Keith), born November 14th, 1921 in Beyonne, New Jersey!

400full-brian-keith.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 7:14 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Robert Alba Keith (Brian Keith), born November 14th, 1921 in Beyonne, New Jersey!

400full-brian-keith.jpg

Another versatile actor. He could play heroes. He could play heavies. And he was adept at playing father figures.

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to voice actress Billie Mae Dinsmore (Billie Mae Richards), born November 21st, 1921 in Toronto, Ontario!

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Happy centennial birthday to Jacob Rodney Cohen (Rodney Dangerfield), born November 22nd, 1921 in Babylon, New York!

1fa13b6bfbbf826720a4d31c8548fcdb.jpg

12 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Jacob Rodney Cohen (Rodney Dangerfield), born November 22nd, 1921 in Babylon, New York!

1fa13b6bfbbf826720a4d31c8548fcdb.jpg

I still can't believe his first movie appearance was as an uncredited onlooker in Stanley Kubrick's 1956 heist film "The Killing." 

See the source image

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 6:58 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Edna Mae Durbin (Deanna Durbin), born on December 4th, 1921 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada!

fc3cb294a854e6c625d8ccf8025a3834.jpg

At the 11th Academy Awards ceremony held on February 23, 1939, Durbin and Mickey Rooney were presented Juvenile Oscars "for their significant contribution in bringing to the screen the spirit and personification of youth, and as juvenile players setting a high standard of ability and achievement." Durbin's miniature award was given to her by the actor/ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.

DeannaOscar06.jpg

• Like 1