Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Star centennial birthdays

Happy centennial birthday to director Franklin J. Schaffner, born May 30th, 1920!

image-original.jpg?1478101707

On 5/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, jakeem said:

Hard to believe that Peggy Lee didn't win a competitive Grammy Award until 1970, when she was honored for her version of the haunting Leiber-Stoller song "Is That All There Is?" This performance aired December 10, 1969 on NBC's "The Kraft Music Hall," which was hosted that night by Johnny Cash. Lee earned the Grammy for Best Contemporary Vocal Performance, Female. 

And the song I always think of first when I think of Peggy Lee is 'Fever'!  Absolutely love the beat...it's got that 1950's coffee-house/beatnik feel to it.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to director Franklin J. Schaffner, born May 30th, 1920!

image-original.jpg?1478101707

Schaffner had back-to-back Best Picture contenders at the Academy Awards for 1970 and 1971. 

See the source image

"Patton," which starred George C. Scott as the controversial World War II general, was nominated for 10 1970 Oscars. It won seven, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor (declined by Scott).

See the source image

The historical drama "Nicholas and Alexandra," the tragic tale about the last Russian tsar and his family, earned six nominations. It won for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration  and Best Costume Design.

See the source image

• Like 1

Yet another 4 star topic!

12 hours ago, midwestan said:

And the song I always think of first when I think of Peggy Lee is 'Fever'!  Absolutely love the beat...it's got that 1950's coffee-house/beatnik feel to it.

A couple of years after NATALIE died on November 29th, 1981 Lee bought her house & a humble one it is, just like WOOD  at 603 Canon, Drive in B. Hills

One should see the 180 degree difference between say HESTON & NATALIE'S fmr home

16 hours ago, midwestan said:

Well, it certainly was her signature song.

At the 1st Annual Grammy Awards in 1959, it was nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year, but lost in both categories to "Nel blu, dipinto di blue (Volare)" by Italy's Domenico Modugno. Lee also was nominated  for Best Female Vocal Performance, which went to Ella Fitzgerald for "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Irving Berlin Songbook."

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Dave Berg, born June 12th, 1920!

Dave_Berg_(self-portrait).jpg

Happy centennial birthday to Rex Everhart, born June 13th, 1920!

Rex-Everhart.jpg

Happy centennial birthday to Alberto Sordi, born June 15th, 1920!

ytLm1vfo_400x400.jpg

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Setsuko Hara, born June 17th, 1920!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLDWDWVADDdrMAqKol2dufp19ScfD9Z-ziQ-7Cuz3145kLuDfH&usqp=CAU

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Paul Frees, born June 22nd, 1920!

paul-frees-pictures.jpg

4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Paul Frees, born June 22nd, 1920!

paul-frees-pictures.jpg

Frees had one of filmdom's most familiar voices. He was the opening narrator for George Pal's 1953 sci-fi film adaptation of H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds." He often dubbed other actors, including Toshirô Mifune (as Japan's Admiral Yamamoto) in the 1976 World War II saga "Midway." He also provided the voice of Boris Badenov for the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons. But I always was impressed by his vocals as Ben Grimm/ The Thing in the 1960s animated series version of "The Fantastic Four" (and his perfect take on Ben's battle cry: "It's clobberin' time!").

• Like 2

Happy centennial birthday to Ray Harryhausen, born June 29th, 1920!

ray_harryhausen_8968.jpg

In 1992, Harryhausen received a special Oscar -- the Gordon E. Sawyer Award -- presented to "an individual in the motion picture industry whose technological contributions have brought credit to the industry." 

Tom Hanks, who hosted the Academy's Scientific and Technical Awards ceremony that year, gushed about the special effects wizard's honor. "Some people say 'Casablanca' or 'Citizen Kane'. I say 'Jason and the Argonauts' is the greatest film ever made," the actor declared.

• Like 1

I knew the narrator was a familiar voice, but I had to look it up to figure out it was Leonard Nimoy.

• Thanks 1

Remembering the beautiful Louise Allbritton on the 100th anniversary of her birth.  What a ****.

Growing up, I knew her only as the raven-haired vampire from Son of Dracula (1943).  It wasn't until much later that I learned she was a blonde . . . and a gorgeous one at that!

She also starred in Abbott and Costello's Who Done It? (1942), as well as The Egg and I (1947) and Sitting Pretty (1948).

Louise Allbritton 2.jpg

Louise Allbritton 3.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure why the word "h o t t i e" was censored.

Happy centennial birthday to Yul Brynner, born July 11th, 1920!

14.3-a-kings-legacy-750-WEB.jpg

In 1972, Brynner became one of the rare Oscar recipients to reprise an award-winning movie character in a television show. He returned as King Mongkut of Siam (from the 1956 musical "The King and I") for the CBS sitcom "Anna and the King," which co-starred Samantha Eggar. The series lasted only 13 episodes

See the source image

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Keith Andes, born July 12th, 1920!

340?cb=20200118084550

18 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Keith Andes, born July 12th, 1920!

340?cb=20200118084550

Andes forever will be remembered as Glynis Johns' husband in the short-lived 1963 CBS mystery/comedy "Glynis." He played a high-profile defense attorney coping with his mystery author-wife (Johns) and her tendency to play amateur detective. The series was created by Jess Oppenheimer, who was head writer of "I Love Lucy" a decade earlier. 

See the source image

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Andes forever will be remembered as Glynis Johns' husband in the short-lived 1963 CBS mystery/comedy "Glynis." He played a high-profile defense attorney coping with his mystery author-wife (Johns) and her tendency to play amateur detective. The series was created by Jess Oppenheimer, who was head writer of "I Love Lucy" a decade earlier. 

See the source image

Glynis Johns will turn 97 in October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy centennial birthday to Dolph Sweet, born July 18th, 1920!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_gaFvLp12Xl-VVNO6E7k