Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Star centennial birthdays

On 7/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Dolph Sweet, born July 18th, 1920!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_gaFvLp12Xl-VVNO6E7k

Sweet co-starred with Nell Carter in the NBC sitcom "Gimme a Break," which ran from 1981 to 1987. His character was a widowed police chief with three teen daughters whose household was run by the irrepressible housekeeper played by Carter. Sweet died during Season 4 of stomach cancer on May 8, 1985. He was 64.

78 Best Gimme A Break images | Tv shows, Classic tv, Favorite tv shows

In Warren Beatty's 1978 hit film "Heaven Can Wait," Sweet (pictured below right) played the Los Angeles Rams head coach who gave a memorable locker room speech to his team before a Super Bowl contest. The picture was a remake of the 1941 comedy/fantasy "Here Comes Mr. Jordan."

See the source image

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Isaac Stern, born July 21st, 1920!

th?id=OIP.iMlxodjLqKPQvWKqootjmAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Isaac Stern, born July 21st, 1920!

th?id=OIP.iMlxodjLqKPQvWKqootjmAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Stern and Itzhak Perlman were among the violin wizards who appeared as themselves at Carnegie Hall in the 1999 biopic "Music of the Heart," based on the career of the New York City music teacher and violinist Roberta Guaspari. Directed by the erstwhile horrormeister Wes Craven, the picture starred Meryl Streep as Guaspari. For her performance, the film great earned her 10th of 17 overall Academy Award nominations for Best Actress.

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Mickey Shaughnessy, born August 5th, 1920!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDt5f9p2Ys3V5DpW6WSjV

On 7/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, jakeem said:

Stern and Itzhak Perlman were among the violin wizards who appeared as themselves at Carnegie Hall in the 1999 biopic "Music of the Heart," based on the career of the New York City music teacher and violinist Roberta Guaspari. Directed by the erstwhile horrormeister Wes Craven, the picture starred Meryl Streep as Guaspari. For her performance, the film great earned her 10th of 17 overall Academy Award nominations for Best Actress.

The film From Mao to Mozart: Isaac Stern in China won the Oscar for Best Documentary feature in 1981. The Tanglewood Festival presented a virtual tribute to the Isaac Stern centennial a few weeks ago.

8580_0040000001a_767117.jpg

• Like 1

Happy centennial birthday to Selma Diamond, born August 5th, 1920!

diamond1.jpg?w=213

On 8/5/2020 at 8:47 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Mickey Shaughnessy, born August 5th, 1920!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDt5f9p2Ys3V5DpW6WSjV

When I think about Shaughnessy, I can't help remembering his performance as the soused sidekick Peter Boggs who kept singing about gold in the 1960 John Wayne-Stewart Granger comedy "North to Alaska."

See the source image

Shaughnessy also sang in "Jailhouse Rock," in which he played a friend of Elvis Presley's character.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Selma Diamond, born August 5th, 1920!

diamond1.jpg?w=213

In the 1982 screen comedy "My Favorite Year" -- loosely based on backstage events at Sid Caesar's 1950s NBC comedy/variety program "Your Show of Shows" -- Diamond appeared as a wardrobe mistress named Lil. In real life, she was a writer for "Your Shows of Shows" -- and is said to have been the inspiration for the wise-cracking Sally Rogers (played by Rose Marie) on the classic CBS sitcom "The Dick Van Dyke Show."

See the source image

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

In the 1982 screen comedy "My Favorite Year" -- loosely based on backstage events at Sid Caesar's 1950s NBC comedy/variety program "Your Show of Shows" -- Diamond appeared as a wardrobe mistress named Lil.

She was great in that short scene! 😄

• Haha 1

Happy centennial birthday to Ella Raines, born August 6th, 1920!

260px-Ella-Raines-LIFE-1944.jpg

33 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Ella Raines, born August 6th, 1920!

260px-Ella-Raines-LIFE-1944.jpg

This got me thinking;  is there stats on the number of covers any one person (especially actors)  had for LIFE?   

I admit I'm somewhat surprised by this selection in February 1944.    Raines was in 5 films that year; 3 film noirs (well early in the cycle so some might not consider them to be noir),   a western and the Sturges' film Hail the Conquering Hero.     BUT I assume most of these weren't released yet only 2 months into the year.

She just started to make films in 1943,   her first film was  Corvette K-225 (one I never heard of ) and her second the ensemble film Cry Havoc  which feature many well established actresses like Sullivan,  Blondell and Sothern.       I believe she was under contract with Universal at this time.    Their PR wings did well getting her feature.

• Like 1