Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star centennial birthdays

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Mickey Rooney, born September 23rd, 1920!

13687628664_f86f0b059d_z.jpg

Rooney never won a competitive Academy Award -- although he was nominated four times between 1940 and 1980. But he shared a Juvenile Oscar with Deanna Durbin in 1939 and earned a 1983 honorary statuette "in recognition of his 60 years of versatility in a variety of memorable film performances."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to William Conrad, born September 27th, 1920!

0af4b178-b3ba-4914-b52f-1fabb5d00a8c_1.766c3335f68a7db2b1389d9a9f105919.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

Ya gotta love a guy who was so versatile, he served as the narrator of "The Fugitive"...

...and those satirical "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Walter Matthau, born October 1st,1920!

walter-matthau.jpg

Matthau's only Academy Award win was for his supporting performance as shyster lawyer "Whiplash Willie" Gingrich in Billy Wilder's 1966 comedy "The Fortune Cookie."  Maybe he was just being humble, but he reportedly said he received the Oscar because he had suffered a heart attack during the filming of the movie.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to film, TV and studio album hornist Vincent De Rosa, who becomes a centenarian today. Vincent  was born October 5th, 1920!

8ca81946361060789791d9e79c38055d.jpg

Day's greatest claim to fame outside acting: She was married to New York Giants manager Leo Durocher from 1948 to 1960. In 1955, she appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated with her husband and superstar center fielder Willie Mays after the Giants swept the Cleveland Indians 4-0 in the 1954 World Series.

New York Giants Willie Mays, Loraine Day Durocher And Sports Illustrated  Cover by Sports Illustrated

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Montgomery Clift, born October 17th, 1920!

Clift-378.jpg

My favorite Monty Clift movie? Hint: It was the final  film shown at the Royal Theater in Peter Bogdanovich's "The Last Picture Show" (1971).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 6:28 AM, sagebrush said:

Happy centennial birthday to Gene Tierney, born November 19th, 1920!

gene-tierney-in-the-razors-edge-vintage-publicity-photo,2037429.jpg

I was watching Leave Her to Heaven the other day.  There is this scene that I still don't get. When Ellen (Gene Tierney) put poison in the bottle, I thought it was meant for her half sister Ruth (Jeanne Crain).   I was shocked when Ellen took the poison.   So which character did the movie want us to assume the poison was for?

Happy centennial birthday to Ralph Meeker, born November 21st, 1920!

11 hours ago, noah80 said:

I was watching Leave Her to Heaven the other day.  There is this scene that I still don't get. When Ellen (Gene Tierney) put poison in the bottle, I thought it was meant for her half sister Ruth (Jeanne Crain).   I was shocked when Ellen took the poison.   So which character did the movie want us to assume the poison was for?

I think Ellen intended the poison for herself all along to try and frame Ruth. She sent that letter to her ex (Russell) stating that she thought Ruth was trying to kill her.  I don't know if she thought the poison would kill her, though, or just make her sick enough to prompt an investigation and find that the arsenic belonged to Ruth for her gardening purposes. She was one  jealous  B****, though!

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

7687929.jpg

Meeker just may have been the quintessential big screen Mike Hammer in the 1955 film noir "Mickey Spillane's 'Kiss Me Deadly.'" The indestructible private detective stumbled onto the most important case of his career -- and it all began when he picked up a frantic blonde (Cloris Leachman, pictured below in her film debut) clad only in a trench coat on a highway.

Directed by Robert Aldrich ("What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," "The Dirty Dozen"), the detective drama was based on Spillane's 1952 novel, but transplanted from New York to Los Angeles. Aldrich's version, adapted by screenwriter A.I. Bezzerides, also had a more explosive ending.

See the source image

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I think Ellen intended the poison for herself all along to try and frame Ruth. She sent that letter to her ex (Russell) stating that she thought Ruth was trying to kill her.  I don't know if she thought the poison would kill her, though, or just make her sick enough to prompt an investigation and find that the arsenic belonged to Ruth for her gardening purposes. She was one  jealous  B****, though!

Thanks for your reply.  I guess Ellen wasn't too smart.  She should have measured the amount of arsenic (just enough so that it wouldn't kill her) before putting it in the bottle.