Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

MissGoddess

Garbomania -- I'll always help out ForeverGarland if she keeps posting the photos she's been posting. FG not only started the Gene Tierney thread, she also revived the Linda Darnell thread, and she just started a Barbara Stanwyck thread. I'm pretty much her slave right now. And, truth be told, when I help her out, I'm actually helping myself out even more. Hidden selfishness.

By the way, James, I also love the photos you post on this site. You have exquisite taste, my friend.

Miss G's photo selections of Natalie Wood in this thread have been spectacular. A glorious look at Natalie's soft sensuality and natural beauty. This is a very warm thread.

Oh, silly! That wasn't snotty. That was a lament, throwing my hands up in the air with a heavy sigh! How did you get snotty out of that? It must be you. And, as far as I know, that last time I checked there were still several photos on pages, hmmm 4 or 5 (Gene Tierney) that haven't been fixed by adding the > at the end. I eventually edited my post and removed the help I offered since I got no response from you or action by adding the >. And, I had a feeling you would take my help as "snotty," and I was right. Glad I deleted that post, and sorry I put this one in.

Now, capitalze your I's! Now, that was snotty! ;-)

Oh don't mind me i have been in such a mood lately..maybe its just the weather..lol

Sorry i didn't see your post or would have thanked you for the advice, it seems when i try to edit pages the site slows down on me...i am thinking i will try and edit more of those photos, but it really is time consuming...isn't it?

Anyway...no hard feelings..Thanks for your help!

FG

Oh, no hard feelings; I was really just trying to help, and frustrated like you. And, SHEEEEEZ, it is a most laborious task just trying to answer someone. So, don't worry about the pics on the Gene thread, they aren't going anywhere, and if the speed picks up you can always go back and add the > just to see what they were! Ha! Like that will happen soon. I hope so, anyway.

You know I was truly upset by your loss of pictures on your Gene thread. I went immediately to Hedy to see if I had met with the same fate, but fortunately, I hadn't. I did post an alert on the Hedy thread saying that we should all ban together and start posting Gene pics back on your thread so you wouldn't feel so depressed. That is why those repeats on your Gene thread showed up, for which Frank thanked me, but I don't think he knew exactly why and may have wondered why I was repeating the same old pics (but I knew his favorite one was in that bunch). Anyway, then I saw that the pictures were coming back, cause as we all know now, when you post a picture, the thread bounces back to the beginning. That's when I realized that maybe all of them would come back on their own and maybe the missing > wouldn't affect their return. So, that is why I eventually erased that part of the message, and the alert to save your pictures I made on the Hedy thread. I know how you must have felt. If I thought all of the Hedy pics had vanished, I would have been beside myself! But, that is why I started a photobucket. All of the Hedy pics I have collected and have "stolen" from other posters are in there. If you don't have a My Pictures or a photobucket, you might think of getting one. They are very reassuring!

Garbomania -- I did post an alert on the Hedy thread saying that we should all ban together and start posting Gene pics back on your thread so you wouldn't feel so depressed. That is why those repeats on your Gene thread showed up, for which Frank thanked me, but I don't think he knew exactly why and may have wondered why I was repeating the same old pics (but I knew his favorite one was in that bunch).

I actually did understand why you re-posted the photos of Gene Tierney on the Gene thread. You saw that your neighbor's house suffered some damage and you decided to help rebuild it. That's genuine kindness, and it was that kindness that prompted me to thank you. Of course, the selfish side of me was also pleased to see more Gene photos, even if they were ones that I had seen earlier in the thread. If you haven't figured this out yet, I sorta got a thing for this Gene gal.

I'm glad you and FG have worked out your little spat. I thought it was awfully nice of FG to apologize. She could have carried the spat further but chose not to. Very wise. It wasn't worth it.

I read on another thread that you lost your wife a few years ago, James. I was saddened to read that. I hope you are doing well. You are a friendly gentleman with a good heart.

Okay, here's my attempt to get this thread back on track. If you (or anyone) could recommend just one Natalie film to this uninformed viewer, what would it be? I prefer seeing her as a woman versus as a child since the only films (The Searchers, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir) in which I have seen of hers are as a child or teen. I guess what I'm asking is, what film is most representative of Natalie to you?

I agree; that was mighty fine of her. And, glad to know you understood about the photos.

Now, as to Natalie, there are two films you should see when she was 22. This was when she had left her childhood image and began acting as a "woman." You can watch either Cash McCall (money and power) with James Garner, or Splendor in the Grass (depressing struggles of youth) with Warren Beatty. Then, when she was about 25 or 26, she made Inside Daisy Clover with Robert Redford. This is HER film. It is her showcase. Also, about this time is Penelope, which is delightful. Then, later as a mature star, she made only a few movies (most of her appearances were for TV movies or specials) like The Last Married Couple in America and her last film Brainstorm, niether of which I cared for.

Yup, Inside Daisy Clover would be the one I would recommend you watching. A young 25 year old star in a movie about becoming a star, great stuff!

(I would have italicized the movie titles, but of course, the button didn't work.

wood_n2.jpg Natalie Wood

That picture below, in color with the hat, is from Inside Daisy Clover,

and I think this one is around that time, if not from the film, as well. The film is in black and white, but that is a color picture of one of the outfits she, as a movie star, wears as one of the characters in her films.

Hello, FrankGrimes---Natalie Wood's talent was wasted in her later mostly forgettable films. She was at her best in the late adolescent/ early adulthood roles--*Splendor In The Grass*, *Gypsy*, *Love With The Proper Stranger*, *Inside Daisy Clover*, *This Property Is Condemned*. Favorites are *Gypsy* and *Daisy*. In those movies, she really seems to be getting back at her family and Hollywood--anyone who tried to possess and use her--but she does it in the wriest, most charming way (with the occasional explosion). This beautiful lady had too much intelligence and dignity to let herself be bitter.

Garbomania -- Thanks for your suggestions. Of the films you mentioned, I've only seen the beginning of Splendor in the Grass. It seemed like my kinda film.

So your official nomination is Inside Daisy Clover, correct?

LuckyDan -- I had never heard of This Property is Condemned, so I looked it up at IMDb. The comments on the film surely appeal to me. I like the creative team for the film: Sydney Pollack, Francis Ford Coppola, and James Wong Howe. I'm also a burgeoning Tennessee Williams fan, although I see that he did not approve of the screenplay and wanted his name removed from the film. That won't detract from my want to see this film, though. Your suggestion is an excellent one and the DVD is cheap.

I'm a complete sucker for this:

Repressed desires, sultry women, sweltering weather and a handsome stranger... this is Tennessee Williams territory.

Frank, I'm not a fan of Williams. Maybe that's why I like "TPIC." And I was unaware of Coppola's involvement, or had forgotten it.

Anyone have any thoughts on "All The Fine Young Cannibals"? I've only seen a scene or two of it, and that was years ago. I never hear anyone speak of it.

Message was edited by: LuckyDan

Well Thank You so much for thinking of me..it is exactly how you say it..so time consuming, and the fact that it seems to me it is so very hard to get nice photos of the classic stars on the internet, i have numerous books, but to start scanning them might turn into a real nightmare!

I really do have to go visit the Hedy thread..she is so much like Gene, so beautiful, so forgotten in many ways, but we make sure they are not i guess..:)

I do love all your photos..you have wonderful taste, and yes i now have a photo bucket to store what i may find, and if i come across photos of Hedy i will post some for you, if anyone else has a problem with finding photos of their favorites..please feel free to speak up..i will try my best......here i am , going on and on..sorry but it is alot of fun to have you all on here to talk with and share our love of all these great stars that have made such marks in our hearts..it is really amazing.

FG

*ForeverG*: Thank you so much for your pix of Natalie---and thanks to anyone and everyone who manfully sticks with it when it comes to posting replies, I am having the dickens of a time myself with this sluggish forum!

*GarboM*: Thanks for your help, too---thankfully I keep my pix in Photobucket, too, or I'm sure I would have lost a lot of them during this transition. I hope you'll post any Nat pix you come across, too, because you have a knack of finding rarities.

*Frank*: So happy to see you here. "Warm" is the word for the woodsy Natalie. It's just a hunch on my part, but I immediately thought of two movies of Nat's for you to try, given your stated preferences: *This Property is Condemned* and *Love With the Proper Stranger*. The former movie is ultra-slim on plot and seems to go nowhere but it's perversly interesting for some reason. I know the reason, I can relate to Natalie's character, she has a way of always bringing out the vulnerabiliuty in any character but this one's probably one of her most complex. It was Sidney Pollack's first film. LwtPS is just a really good *adult* love story, though some find the central issues as dealt with here to be dated. It has moments of unexpected hilarity and for me contains Natalie's most accomplished and mature performance.

*LuckyD*: *All The Fine Young Cannibals* is noteworthy mainly for Pearl Bailey's charismatic performance, the chance to see the young Robert Wagner's in a movie together, and for the beautiful, glamorous clothes. At least that's what I got out of it. 'RJ' had not yet become a real actor and the plot is so sudsy even I feel like I need a rinse after watching it but it can be fun.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

>[Love With the Proper Stranger] is just a really good adult love story, though some find the central issues as dealt with here to be dated. It has moments of unexpected hilarity and for me contains Natalie's most accomplished and mature performance.

MissGoddess, I tried to reply earlier today when you were still on, but gave up after six timeouts.

I know what you mean about unexpected hilarity. I can never order a mixed drink without thinking of the scene where Natalie offers Steve - what was it, a scotch and tonic? - and Steve gives her a quick lesson in what goes with what. Charming.

This movie has such a somber ambience at first, for me anyway (maybe its the photography, which I recall as a low-key gray) but then the lighter moments come and it is exactly as you describe it: an adult love story.

It is well-told and, I think, a good ten years ahead of its time. (But then in 1973, the leading lady of such a story would probably have been required to perform a nude scene. Thank heaven Natalie got the script when she did.)

Woohoo! I'm in! Persistence pays off. I had to at least go one (or five or ten) better than Lucky Dan on the timed out challenge.

Miss Goddess -- Thanks for your suggestions. I think *This Property is Condemned* is probably more my speed but I can go for an adult love story, so I'll keep an eye out for *Love with the Proper Stranger*.

What film is most respresentative of Natalie for you? Forget my tastes in this instance.

Cascabel -- Thanks for sharing your opinions, as well. If you had to pick just one film of Natalie's to show to classic film strangers (like me), which would it be? Just one.

Whew, it is still a chore to post on this maddening forum. Thanks to all to who keep trying.

LuckyD---I remember the location shots of NYC in *Love with the Proper Stranger* and that they were photographed very starkly which seemed to pick up on Natalie's sense of fright and abandonment, not to mention the horror of what she was to endure. Then you have a scene like the "scotch and tonic" incident, or at the dinner party given by her fiance's family (Tom Bosley, old man "Happy Days" himself giving a really charming turn), where Natalie cannnot seem to do anything right or graceful. It's inexplicable to me, given hers and Steve McQueen's continuing popularity, why this movie is not on dvd.

Frank---Most representative of Nat? Hmmm, most might say Splendor in the Grass, but I am not a fan of that movie (or Warren Beatty) and prefer to name *Marjorie Morningstar* . It's also a coming of age yarn but one which actually shows her growing up to face her life as an adult. It displays the beautiful girl-next-door which men were drawn to and women were not threatened by, the qualities that made her a star.

Natinwhitenegligee.jpg

Archived