Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

MissGoddess

FrankGrimes----I want to recommend *Inside Daisy Clover* even though it was considered a disorganized mess when released and many people seem to hate it. The critics say Natalie was too old to play a teenager and the movie wasn't evil enough to be about show business. That's nonsense. I loved it---the backstage at (I think) Warner Brothers, the Hollywood power plays. Best of all--Natalie's scenes with Ruth Gordon.

Yes, Miss Goddess! Congratulations! Gee, you registered September 21, 2006, and I registered May 21, 2006, but you have more posts than I! As GarboManiac, I have 2359, and as Garbomania, I have 1267 for a grand total of 4626! I don't know how you did it, but you beat me, and I came on exactly four months earlier. You Go!

I had to go check on The Gallery of Stars thread (Remember those great times?). You were such a great contributor on that. It is nice you are still around.

Here's to you!

Champagne20Vignette.jpg

Miss Goddess -- Wonderful photos. Which one do you think I like the most? Too easy, right? Actually, my favorite is the one with Natalie in that outrageous silver outfit and boots. Now that's one for the books.

Cascabel I want to recommend Inside Daisy Clover even though it was considered a disorganized mess when released and many people seem to hate it. The critics say Natalie was too old to play a teenager and the movie wasn't evil enough to be about show business. That's nonsense. I loved it---the backstage at (I think) Warner Brothers, the Hollywood power plays. Best of all--Natalie's scenes with Ruth Gordon.

I love your candor. Your posts on this board have been quite enjoyable to read. Glad to have you around.

FrankGrimes---Thank you for your kind words. You might actually prefer the more adult *Love With The Proper Stranger*. It's just that the quirky *Inside Daisy Clover* is dear to me. (BTW, I don't know if I meant "disorganized mess---as opposed to organized mess, whatever that would be." Sorry. I keep forgetting that edit option is gone.)

Thank you so much everyone, and you, GarboMania, for the "toast" with my favorite fizzy blonde concoction! However, I think I am just an A Number 1 "board hog" and it's only the kindness of everyone here to put up with my pigginess. Your posts and pictures are a great part of that.

Frank---the pic with *la Principessa* was just for you. I hope it coaxes you to watch a Natalie Wood movie now and then.

Thanks everyone, again, for making this thread so lively---I'm sure Natalie would have been touched. I have met Robert Wagner twice---and if I ever run into him again and it feels appropriate, I am going to tell him about this little thread and how many new fans Natalie still continues to attract.

Natalie in my favorite role, as *Penelope* :

NatasPenelope.jpg

ForeverGarland -- One thing I have noticed about Natalie is that she always projects innocence, even in her risque photos.

Miss Goddess -- A photo of Natalie with the Princess from the Goddess... now that's hard to top. You spoil me rotten. I thank you.

Cascabel -- It's just that the quirky Inside Daisy Clover is dear to me.

I like quirkiness and people who appreciate quirkiness. Thanks for your comments. I have filed them away.

• 4 months later...

I just want to remind everyone that one of Natalie Wood's best movies---one that is RARELY ever shown---is coming to TCM this Sunday!! *Love With the Proper Stranger* (co-starring Steve McQueen) will be playing January 20th at 6:00 p.m. EST. Get your recorders ready! I'm so excited!!

Bronxgirl - Have you seen this movie? I don't know why but I have the feeling you would LOVE it. Don't miss it!

NatSteve.jpg

I have a thread on it -- I've seen it many, many times over the years. It's not really a big favorite with me, but I HAVE to watch it when it's on. It's the New Yawk nostalgia.

I adore Natalie in it; less so Steve; the dinner scene at Tom Bosley's home IS one of my all-time favorites.

One of the most poignant, heartbreaking scenes of regret and longing come from Natalie Wood at the end of SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, as she's walking with Warren Beatty. It gets to me every time.

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER is a quirky, campy little gem; I love the way she scrunches up her nose, especially at Robert Redford..

Despite being nominated several times for an Oscar, I think she still is an underrated actress. She brought a lot of emotional depth to all her performances, even in her less than stellar movies. I think if she hadn't been a Hollywood star, she could really have stretched herself in classic stage dramas.

Hi Natfan and welcome! I hope you enjoyed this thread. I too want LWTPS to come to dvd in the biggest way. I can't understand what's the hold up. A box set of Nat's films is expected in the coming year but I haven't heard that this one will be included. Very perplexing.

Hi Bronxie,

Yes, I think Natalie tends to be forgotten when they talk about good dramatic actresses. I always thought she was excellent and brought a vulnerability to many of her roles which made direct contact between her and her audience. Though Splendor is not a favorite (I cannot endure Warren Beatle for more than two or three seconds at a time) I do think it was a tremendous performance from her.

I actually like McQueen in this movie and I am not a fan of his at all. I like him even better after hearing Mankiewicz discuss the fact that he wanted and went after this role because he was dying to do romantic comedy/drama after all the action flicks. I did not know this. I assumed he had to be talked into doing it. The reason I like him is not so much the character, who is a bit of a fledgling rat-in-training (not yet a Super Rat but on his way), but because McQueen has a funny face. His expressions make me laugh. I especially like how perplexed and frustrated he acts over Natalie's ability to get under his skin. And he fights his own better instincts so hard. I thought it was interesting that both he and she came from close families. You think you're going to see the typical schizo family background with these two characters but in fact they come from overly affectionate families---especially Nat's. I find this funny, too. So basically they are two very nice people who made mistakes. He, especially, tries to fight against his niceness.

Natalie is simply wonderful in this.

I forgot how emotional I get at that scene when he bursts into the room where Nat is about to go under the knife---oh, I just lose it totally when she gets hysterical and he starts in to slap her to calm her and ends up hugging her. I think audiences needed to see McQueen like this.

LovewiththeProperStranger2.jpg

thank you, nice to be here....the Box Set is a Warner's Box Set...Sex and the Single Girl, Inside Daisy Clover and a Special Edition of Splendor in the Grass. It was supposed to be released in 2007 but it was pushed up to 2008...I can't wait....I don't know what Paramount is waiting for as far as Proper Stranger...I want all Natalie's films on DVD...

Archived