Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This may sound crazy, but

Would'nt it be great if TCM created a "film noir" month. there are so many great films in this genre, that are seldom (sometimes never) shown, it would be manna from heaven to be able to sate ourselves for one complete month and with TCM's huge (nobody has a bigger one) library, it would be no problem.

Sparta -- You're not going to see me argue against a film noir month. I'd settle for a night a week that spotlighted a few noirs.

And I agree with Ken, I wish TCM would play film noirs in the middle of the night. But if they want to fire up "Darkness After Dawn", I'd be all for that, too. I'll take my noirs any way I can get them on TCM.

• 2 weeks later...

Would'nt it be great if TCM created a "film noir" month. ~sparta

Um, I hate to break it to you, Sparta, but about 4 or 5 years ago, TCM had an entire Summer devoted to Noir. Yes, three months of mugs, dolls, and darkness after dawn. For those of us with odd work schedules, it meant a season spent with the blinds drawn against the heat and the glare of the sun, as we madly hunched before the flickering tube, scurrying down every dark alley of the human heart.

Either that, or people spent much of that summer setting their recorders pretty much 'round the clock for that period.

I too wish that Darkness After Dawn would return, perhaps as Journey Into Darkness, to be broadcast after midnight to ensure the proper milieu for viewing.

Mysterious Moira -- Um, I hate to break it to you, Sparta, but about 4 or 5 years ago, TCM had an entire Summer devoted to Noir. Yes, three months of mugs, dolls, and darkness after dawn. For those of us with odd work schedules, it meant a season spent with the blinds drawn against the heat and the glare of the sun, as we madly hunched before the flickering tube, scurrying down every dark alley of the human heart.

Thanks for breaking that to me. Now I'm broken in two. Maybe TCM could put this Humpty Dumpty back together with another noir month.

By the way, Moira, does the following ring any bells:

"A grimy, superior film noir by Andre de Toth. Dick Powell is a foursquare family man who enjoys a harmless dalliance with model Lizabeth Scott, unaware that he's risking the wrath of a psychotically jealous private eye, Raymond Burr."

Pitfall is a film that noir enthusiasts long for on DVD. I've never seen it.

Yes, some of us noir-types are known for our lurking. Coincidentally, you don't happen to know where the Maltese Falcon is, do you?

I just recently got this one (PITFALL) in and thoroughly enjoyed it. Dick Powell is the family man (wife and son) who longs for the excitement he doesn't get as an insurance guy. He finally finds it when he becomes involved with the girlfriend of a man sent to prison for robbing a store insured by Powell's company. Lizabeth Scott in a nice role as the girlfriend, Jane Wyatt as Powell's wife and another excellent part for Raymond Burr as a creepy private detective who does work for Powell's company. This one was out on lazer disc years ago, but I don't believe it's available commercially at the present time. It's a very good noir if you can locate it. Anyone interested can e-mail me.