Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GWTW actor dies

bansi4

One of the last remaining actors of the classic film "Gone With The Wind" has died. Rand Brooks who played Scarlet's weak first husband Charles Hamilton who was 84.

He reportedly didn't like the part he played although it made him immortal.

Other than Olivia de Havilland there are still a few left including Scarlet's sisters Evelyn Keyes, Ann Rutherford, the "kid" who played Bonnie Blue and one of the Tarelton twins.

Mongo

I always thought it would have been interesting if Charles Hamilton had survived the war and returned home. The war-weary veteran in the place of the wide-eyed innocent romantic. How would he have handled Scarlett? It is probably good for him that he did die!

With the death of Rand Brooks, we've lost one of the very few remaining people involved with GWTW--and who probably had tons of great stories to tell. That's why I'm so dissed that the current GWTW DVD out has absolutely NOTHING extra--except for some puny trailer. Brooks and Olivia DeHavilland, Ann Rutheford, etc. would have made terrif interviews for an up-to-date documentary on the making of a legend. Here's my theory about the Charles Hamilton character: his personnae always suggested a man who cared nothing for marriage--and I always thought that if this were real life, he would have run off with Ashley Wilkes--whose personnae was based on a real life gay buddy of Margaret Mitchell. Mitchell once wondered to a friend why this certain hunk never wanted to have any "fun" romantically--until her girl pal spelled out the birds and bees.

Sorry to hear this. I think Charles Hamilton would have been a crummy part to have played, except for the fact that at least he had a job!!

If Charles had lived, I think Scarlett would have run over him like a tank. Do you think if they had stayed married he would have ever "awakened" to the fact that she was a big "player?" Or do you think he would have stayed nausatingly in love with her forever? Poor Charles. As Rhett said, "Pity the man who really loves her."

In doing some research I found some other survivors of "Gone With The Wind".

Alicia Rhett who played India Wilkes is in her 80's.

Ironically GWTW was the only film she ever made.

Mickey Kuhn who played Beau Wilkes the son of Melanie and Ashley is about 70.

Mary Anderson who played Maybelle Merriwether is 82. She also appeared in "To Each His Own" and "Lifeboat".

By the Fred Crane who played the twin Brent Tarleton runs a Bed & Breakfast in Georgia. He was narried 5 times.

Cammie King who played Bonnie Blue is 69 years old.

Mongo

Archived