Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MLK Day in January/Black Film Festival on TCM (A Few Suggestions)

The recent thread for Christmas films inspired me to suggest a few films TCM could air for their annual African-American film festival during Martin Luther King day in January.

I don't know if the programmers have already created their schedule, but here are a few films I wouldn't mind seeing next year. There are a few I haven't seen, but have heard some interesting things about these films.

Stormy Weather (1943) featuring Lena Horne.

Intruder in the Dust (1949) featuring Juano Hernandez.

Home of the Brave (1949) featuring James Edwards.

Shadows (1959) featuring Ben Carruthers.

*Sergeant Rutledge (1960) featuring Woody Strode.

A Raisin in the Sun (1961) featuring Sidney Poitier.

Nothing But a Man (1964) featuring Ivan Dixon.

*The Learning Tree (1969) directed by Gordon Parks.

*Lady Sings the Blues (1972) featuring Diana Ross.

I think it would be cool if the festival was a 24 hour salute next year.

*- haven't seen yet

Anyone here would like to make any suggestions?

Knowing that most channels work many months ahead, I would think that TCM pretty much has the January schedule locked up by now, but I could be wrong.

You have a good list. I'd add one other film. Independent producer Harry Popkin's 1950 drama THE WELL. A rarely seen film about a little African-American girl, in a southern town, who goes missing. Powerful, overlooked film with Harry Morgan.

Imitation of Life - both versions, but I prefer the Louise Beavers/Claudette Colbert

Pinky - Ethel Waters

Cabin in the Sky - Ethel Waters

To Sir with Love - Poitier

Carmen Jones - Dorothy Dandridge

I also love Bright Road

If TCM needs a newer film, Lady Sings the Blues gets my vote, as does Sparkle. And Mahogany is a hoot.

I am always surprised that people think of the Martin Luther King Day as an "African-American" holiday. While he may have been an African-American, he worked and fought against prejudice of any kind. And I would want to schedule assorted films that address that issue -

- Crossfire

- Philadelphia

- The Grapes Of Wrath

- Gandhi

- Something Of Value

- Bordertown

etc.

Kyle In Hollywood

You guys have filled the bill of what I would pick...so that leaves me with a pre-cursor to "Tootsie" called "Boy, What a Girl" starring one of the stars from "Amos 'n Andy" Tim Moore. Pretty funny. Oh...there was a documentary about twenty years ago narrated by Billy Dee Williams on PBS called "Brown Sugar" where it showed almost all African-American female stars.

But please, anyone can jump on the bandwagon in the fight for injustice. Join MLK Day.

I don't disagree with you, Kyle. As far as TCM's schedule goes, I included specifically films featuring African-Americans or issues dealing with African-Americans because that is what is usually selected each year. I have no problems of their selections.

However, a theme for a particular month dealing with issues for justice and equality would be a great idea.

hlywdkjk, I don't really disagree with you either. All forms of bigotry are wrong, of course. But, when I see movies like Bright Road, Hallelujah, and Cabin In The Sky, I'm so impressed with the level of talent and so sad that these gifted actors weren't working all the time in bigger and better roles--the way so many (not all, but many) of their white counterparts were. At least one day of showcasing these fine actors might provide a revelation to someone out there in the TV audience. In a better world, we'd see these movies all the time. In a truly ideal world, thousands of great movies with integrated casts would have been made throughout the 20th century. Please understand that I'm not really disagreeing with you. Your list of movies is good, and I'd like to add Salt Of The Earth to it.

> I am always surprised that people think of the Martin

> Luther King Day as an "African-American" holiday.

> While he may have been an African-American, he

> worked and fought against prejudice of any kind.

> And I would want to schedule assorted films that

> address that issue -

> Crossfire

> Philadelphia

> The Grapes Of Wrath

> Gandhi

> Something Of Value

> Bordertown

> tc.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

That would be like having a Columbus Day Parade and having a bunch of Irish guys show up, or having a St. Patrick's Day Parade and having a bunch of Italians show up.

> You guys have filled the bill of what I would

> pick...so that leaves me with a pre-cursor to

> "Tootsie" called "Boy, What a Girl" starring one of

> the stars from "Amos 'n Andy" Tim Moore. Pretty

> funny. Oh...there was a documentary about twenty

> years ago narrated by Billy Dee Williams on PBS

> called "Brown Sugar" where it showed almost all

> African-American female stars.

>

> But please, anyone can jump on the bandwagon in the

> fight for injustice. Join MLK Day.

I vaguely remember that PBS doc, Brown Sugar. I would love to see that again.

Sandy K

It'll never stop: The Gays in June and the Blacks in February. Oh Dear! How about the Jews in October to commerate Yum Kippor! What could be next! Diversity! Diversity! Diversity! How the world loves Diversity!

> My cousin lost his leg in the Korean War, but is one

> of the happiest men I know today. I'm sure he would

> love to have a tribute. How about a month for

> parapalegics.

Ok, sounds good to me. But with these special "months" there aren't enough months, so I think in order to get everyone in, we'll need to cut it down to "days". We could have 365 "special interest days" each year.

Okay, I took a very deep breath and calmed down.

Can we please return this thread to a discussion of movies with African-American stars or that would otherwise be important or interesting to program?

I was inspired by some of the "jokes" that were made earlier to suggest three very controversial films that I seriously believe should be a part of a programming block like this:

[/i]-The Birth of a Nation

-Song of the South

-Bamboozled

The Birth of a Nation: Most of us know the situation with The Birth of a Nation, and thanks to TCM most of us have seen it. For those who are unfamiliar, it is not dissimilar to the pro-Nazi movies of Leni Reifenstahl; it is unquestionably groundbreaking, and technically a mesmerizing movie --- but the message it delivers is horrifying.

Song of the South: A Disney movie based on the Uncle Remus stories. Happy, happy, happy slaves. Now so politically incorrect that Disney won't allow it to be shown or released in the USA (although it's okay in Japan). Disney was still rereleasing this in the theatres in the South into the mid-70's -- I know, because I grew up in Georgia and saw it as a child.

In this case, I'm not unhappy Disney isn't selling DVDs next to The Little Mermaid; I'm only unhappy they seem to be sweeping it under the rug. Maybe restricting it to a showing on TCM during MLK or February, with an appropriate intro, is the way to go?

Bamboozled: a very recent Spike Lee film that is all about the representation of black people in movies. I don't really want TCM to run this one --- I want TCM to run older films --- but it's controversial and I want to give people on this thread something to seriously discuss and argue about.

Then some of us will be too busy to turn the conversation into a rude, thoughtless direction, since we'll all have something to THINK about.

Fred and Lawson,

Did you guys even read the original post that started this thread? TCM is not planning a Black History Month schedule. (Besides, February is Oscar month on TCM and I doubt they are scrapping that salute any time soon since they have been saluting the Oscars almost since the beginning of the Channel).

The original poster was only making suggestions should TCM decide in the future to have a series of films to commerate Martin Luther King, Jr day (which is in January and is not a bad idea).

As for the rest of your comments, I agree with Chip and hope you guys both had your tongues firmly planted in your cheeks though it didn't come across that way.