Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Today on Loretta`s special day, I wanted to share my thoughts on this leading lady. Loretta`s career began in silent motions pictures when she was just a teenager. I first saw her in the Frank Capra movie "Platinum Blonde" 1931. Jean Harlow was the costar, but it was Loretta who caught my attention. She played the loyal sidekick to newspaper reporter Robert Williams. Loretta did fine pre code work in "Taxi", Employees Entrance", "Midnight Mary", and "Hereos For Sale". She acted acted with the top leading men, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Tyronne Power , Fredic March, Henry Fonda, Joel MeCrae,Gary Cooper etc. I enjoyed Loretta in "Call Of The Wild" and The Srory Of Alexander Graham Bell' two completely diferent movies. A romantice film she made with Alan Ladd " And Now Tomorrow" is one of my favorites. Add "Along Came Jones" and "Rachel And The Stranger" as two westerns. Loretta made three film noirs "The Stranger", "The Accused", and "Cause For Alarm". Last but not least were "The Bishop`s Wife", "Come To The Stable", her Oscar winning performance in "The Farmer`s Daughter". Yes, Loretta was lovely, but she deserved her special day.

i have been watching loretta all day and have been enjoying the ones i havent seen, like the life of jimmy dolan, which i thought was very cute. her and douglas fairbanks jr. make a very cute couple. i cant wait to see along came jones(one of my fav movies of all time of course) is one of my favs of hers and so is rachel and the stranger. i also always thought she was sooooooo exquisite up until she died....forever young is what people thought of her beauty. :)

Loretta Young could do it all , and better than most of her time.

She was a true beauty, and very fun to watch in all her comedy roles.

When drama was called for Loretta could run tears from stone..she was such a Great actress and a big favorite of mine...I love Half Angel & Come To The Stable, as well as so many others..even in her 80's returning to TV after a 25 year break she was just as Beautiful, captivating & the ultimate performer..A Legend easily!

Thanks TCM for Loretta Young Day!

FG

i love when will holden takes off his shirt. heehee! unfortunaley that scene is really short. TCM should really dedicate a month to loretta. i hope they do soon, i reallllly wanna see Ladies Couragous. i have never seen that one, but i do love The Accused, unfortunately the only recording i have seen of that one is off one of my grandmama's old tape, and the recording is really bad. i wish they would play that one again too.

oh yes,she did a fantastic job in Ramona. i loved her and don ameche together. i knew that was the first movie she did right after she had judy, and man does she look good for the little amount of time between the birth and the making of the movie.

i found it amazing that she did all that horse back riding in Melody Jones when she was pregnant. i dont think i would have done that personally, and it wasnt a stunt double it was her doing the riding.

EXCUSE ME EVERY BODY --What happened to all the lovely pictures of Loretta Young

in Ramona -- and don't tell me to press Photobucket -i did and nothing happens---

Is this another case of someone trying to improve a perfect thread??

Well, whoever is in charge please put things BACK THE WAY THEY WERE! ! !

I agree with you Thistledown. Everything photo of Loretta is gone, and it hurts. I named the site Lovely Loretta Young for a reason. I don`t own a movie star photo collection, and it has been so nice for our friends in this site to share. Why did this have to happen in the first place? I loved coming home from work and clicking on Loretta`s site and viewing those pics. SAD

So sorry but it seems when they did their improvements on the boards, each and every photo i have ever posted is now gone..needless to say i was annoyed, only because of the time it takes to get them up on this slow site to begin with...did i say i was mad as hell! ..lol ok got that off my chest!

I will try and re post the Ramona pics just for you..hope it works!

FG

Again i am so sorry ..the upgrades took away all my posted photos, and i am still pretty upset about it, but i will try and figure out how to re post some for all the great people on this thread.

This site is still today running very slow and backwards..it's really BS ! i love TCM , but this site is the worst of all sites i go on as far as it's working order!

FG

Thank you FG for reposting Loretta`s photo`s. I know that it took you time to do this, and I appreciate it very much. The photo with John Forsthye and Loretta was a still from the last movie Loretta made. "It Happens Every Thursday" is a comedy about a married couple who buy a small town newspaper and try their darndest to make it work. I enjoyed the movie when I saw I saw it a few years ago. TCM is playing "Along Came Jones" on Saturday.

Last night I was checking out the Barnes & Noble biography site. Jeannie Bassinger`s new book entitled "The Star Machine" will be released on 10/23/07. The front cover of the book has a beautiful photo of Loretta Young and Tyronne Power. Ms. Bassinger is a noted film historian. The book cover the studio era from the thirties thru the fifties. It will detail how the studio made a star and kept them a star.Sounds like an interesting read!