Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Hi Theresa, Wow! A Man`s Castle" will finally be shown on TCM Monday, June 30 at 10am. I have waited a long time to see the film where Loretta and Spencer Tracy fell in love.TCm will also be showing "Bedtime Story" in June. They have enough films of Loretta`s in their vaults to give her serious consideration for SOTM.A night of Loretta`s pre code films would be very desirable..

!

yeah i saw that! i got so excited, even though i have it. heehee! i hope you like it when you see it! you have to tell me what you think of it!

Hi Cashette

No, not that one. It's obviously an early film. Look at her hair, that's maybe a clue. She had a minor part in this film. The main story had to with a gypsy woman played by an actress who, like Loretta, would be a major star in a few short years. Care to try again?

lorettaphbutcm.jpg

I just ran across this one. I think there's something at the bottom that tells us what film. This photo was billed as "rare" though in our cyber age that might be a misnomer any more. Rare or no, it sure is cute ! This may be about as much of Loretta's legs as we may ever see. I don't think she did a lot cheesecake, though I don't know that for sure.

Hi Miss Goddess, Loretta was the first actress to win both a Academy Award and a Emmy. I own the first volumn of The loretta Young Show which contains seven videos. Loretta showed her versatily in the roles she played on her TV show for which she won three Emmy awards. I am very happy that you saw an episode of Loretta`s show. She will always be my great beauty of the movies and TV.

hey april!

i have the first and second seasons of "The Loretta Young Show" and i could be asking the same question. she should have been more known for her work on this show. it was so beautiful and one of the best i have ever seen so far. her performacnes in all these little mini dramatic movies are proof that she was a great actress! she should have garnered more emmys for her work on this project! :)

Hi ButterTea and Cashette---I was happy to learn she received recognition in her day for the show. I just wish more would give her credit today; she's rarely mentioned among tv "pioneers", female or otherwise. Sometimes they act like Lucy was the only one!

I really enjoyed the two episodes where she played kind of "low class" characters---they featured interesting stories and were a stretch for her acting-wise. The one with Bobby Driscoll playing her son was particularly well done.

It's a shame there aren't more programs like this made anymore, that try to teach values.

i wish there were more like this too. they are each so special to me anyway. ;) i like those ones with bobby driscoll too. she did a fantasitc job with those parts especially.

i love the "earthquake" episode. i love how she loves her husband so much that she does all that stuff for him when the earthwuale occurs. she works so hard and i think that is so beautiful! he would have done the same for her!

i had read something about a man telling the studio to get that horrible catholic woman off the tv every week. when i read that i was shocked and amazed!! how could someone say this about loretta?

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> i wish there were more like this too. they are each so special to me anyway. ;) i like those ones with bobby driscoll too. she did a fantasitc job with those parts especially.

>

> i love the "earthquake" episode. i love how she loves her husband so much that she does all that stuff for him when the earthwuale occurs. she works so hard and i think that is so beautiful! he would have done the same for her!

>

> i had read something about a man telling the studio to get that horrible catholic woman off the tv every week. when i read that i was shocked and amazed!! how could someone say this about loretta?

I haven't seen the "earthquake" episode yet.

As for that comment by the grouch, well, unfortunately a lot of people felt and feel even more so now like that. She got the last laugh, though, from how successful and popular the series was.

it WAS popular, or at least it seems to have been. my papa(momma's daddy) remembers watching it when he was my age and younger. his brother came down here from new york last week for easter and they all had this conversation about their tv sets and how they knew the first family in their whole neighborhood to get a tv set. i asked them what kind of shows they used to watch and jackie gleason and loretta young were at the top of the list! heehee! i just had to tell her i knew all about them. heehee!

Hi Miss Goddess and April, My volumn I of the Loretta Young Show doesn`t contain any episodes with Bobby Driscoll. There is an episode called "Little witness" which features Johnny Crawford of "The Riflemen" as Loretta`s son. I need to purchase Volumn 11 soon.Many years ago when I watched the series, there was an episode where Loretta played a nurse in a hospital. She took care of a man who had lost his sight because of an injury. The man fell in love with her, but Loretta worked in a Catholic hospital and she was a nun.I saw this episode over forty five years ago, and I can still remember.

>Loretta was the first actress to win both a Academy Award and a Emmy.

What a great trivia question that would make. I'll have to store that one for later use.

BTW, The Squall is correct for the photo below. A so-so film but good for the times. They didn't know how to make talkies yet. Long pauses between the dialogue, no close-ups, in fact, the camera would often take in the whole room and players would walk around as if in a play. But interesting perfs from Loy as this rather wild and manipulative Gypsy girl. Loretta is sweet as ever, of course. Alice Terry played the mother of the household. Don't know too much about her except that she was on the stage for many years. I believe she died shortly after this movie. We would have seen a lot more of her otherwise. Thanks.

pre-ordering at Classicflix.com for $33.99, but only until March 30th.

If you want the collection, act on this right away. The retail price thus far is 49.99 but will probably go up.

Films: Girls Dormitory, Cafe Metropole, Second Honeymoon, Love is News, Daytime Wife, Johnny Apollo, This Above All, That Wonderful Urge, I'll Never Forget You, Luck of the Irish

> {quote:title=chandler5710 wrote:}{quote}

> pre-ordering at Classicflix.com for $33.99, but only until March 30th.

>

> If you want the collection, act on this right away. The retail price thus far is 49.99 but will probably go up.

>

> Films: Girls Dormitory, Cafe Metropole, Second Honeymoon, Love is News, Daytime Wife, Johnny Apollo, This Above All, That Wonderful Urge, I'll Never Forget You, Luck of the Irish

Chandler---I can't believe it, Fox is actually releasing these titles? That's incredible and wonderful news!! People who have only seen Tyrone Power in the Swashies and his other later movies will be in for a very pleasant surprise. The studio really has earned my highest regard---nobody beats Fox, not even WB.

Hi Chandler, Thank you for sharing the imformation on the release of Tyronne Power"The Matinee Idol Collection. I am looking forward to seeing the Ty Loretta films, and the other films in the collection. A few years ago I saw "Johnny Apollo" on the FMC, and it was an enjoyable film noir.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe Fox is finally releasing "Ill Never Forget You" I have been waiting for this for years

This is a remake of Berkley Square and stars Tyrone Power who goes back 200 years and

falls in love with Ann Blyth - it is one of the best films about time travel ever done...

Just finished watching Ladies In Love from 1936 on the Fox MC. Loretta was in love with Tyrone Power's character. They looked really great together and very young, no pun intended. Loretta was competing with Janet Gaynor, Constance Bennett, and Simone Simon to see which gal came across as the cutest/best-looking. Loretta had that sparkle in her eyes as always.