Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Hi Garbomania, Thanks for the photo of Ty and Loretta. It is the same photo that is one the book cover of "The Star Machine" by Jeannie Bassinger that I discussed below. I wonder what movie still the photo was taken from.Suez?

Thanks FG for reposting the photos of Loretta. In my opinion, Loretta, looked great at any age. Your photos of Loretta and Barbara helped cheer me up. Last night I had to have my cat Kate put to sleep. She was 12, and my daughter and I miss her.

CineSage_jr wrote:

Loretta Young: far too prim, proper and strait-laced. In short, not one whit of sex-appeal and a total bore.

I certainly agree with you on this. Loretta Young was okay as an actress, but forget about sex appeal when you're watching one of her movies.

After years of searching, I still have yet to find ONE movie in which she shows a little booty. She was an attractive woman (at least Clark Gable thought so), but she NEVER posed for cheesecake, though many of her contemporaries (e.g., Ginger Rogers, Joan Blondell, Jean Harlow et al.) seemed only too happy to do so.

I have one -- just ONE -- photo of Loretta Young in which her legs are exposed. It's a publicity still from her 1933 film, "Zoo in Budapest."

In this photo, she is sitting on the ground, in front of a bramble bush. Her skirt is up, and she is pulling on a pair of stockings. When I saw that picture, I said to myself: Man! I've GOT to see that movie!

But no dice. Eventually, "Zoo in Budapest" was screened on one of the movie channels -- might have been TCM, or maybe FMC (it's a Fox film). But when it came time for Loretta to sit on the ground and put on her stockings, she was BEHIND that bramble bush, not in front of it as in the publicity shot. We can see what she's doing, a little bit, through the branches... but we cannot enjoy it, because Loretta and the film makers deliberately obscured that activity from our eyes.

She lived a long life -- died at age 87 -- and left behind several generations of movie fans who admired her. Unfortunately, the first thing I think about when her name comes up is her prudish attitude towards cheesecake. She was a young and curvaceous movie actress, but somehow she managed to forgo cheesecake photos, even in her early years.

May you Rest in Peace, Loretta. But my favorites from your generation are the actresses who cheerfully and unconcernedly showed their legs once in a while... if only for the sake of us "dreamers."

Cheers,

Dan

Hi FG, Your posting of those lovely photos helps. There is a Loretta Young.com website that is authorized by her family. Within this site there is a photo of Loretta in a bathing suit. The complete first season of the TV series "The Loretta Young Show" is available on dvd. Very few of Loretta`s movies are on dvd.I will watch "It Happens Every Thursday" tonight. The photo that you posted reminded me that I had taped that movie.

Patience is a virtue. It took me ten minutes to get on this board, but I know that everybody else is having trouble getting on the board too. Loretta was beautuful throughout her career as your photos attest. When I was searching the web, I found a photo of Loretta taken in 1995. She was interviewed for a Palm Springs, Ca. publication. Loretta was 82, and she was still lovely. "It Happens Every Thursday' was a fine family film that we don`t see enough of. Edgar Buchanan played the same part that he did in "Penny Serenade". Jane Darwell and Frank McHugh costarred. Thanks again FG for the lovely Loretta pics.

I don't own a DVD player , I still have an old-fasfoned VCR... anyway -about !0 years ago there

was a channell called Nostalgia [ Bet I'm the only one who remembers this] and every Sunday

afternoon they would show "the Loretta Young Show", I watched this every week , with my mother who was born the same year as Miss Young--I recorded ten episodes, and a show called

Mr. and Mrs. North which I also recorded--By the way the name of Miss Young's show was

Letters To Loretta~~

cashette,

Isn't it the most annoying thing just to try and post a message?

But here i am again..lol

I know the Palm Springs Magazine you talk about and have seen the photos of Loretta , and they are so great, but sadly so small to save, i have hunted to find them larger, but maybe i should try for a back issue of this magazine, because the photos are just too nice not to share.

I need to look into it.

FG

Hi Thistledown, Aren`t you glad that taped those episodes of Loretta`s show ten years ago? My cable service here is Time-Warner, but I do not remember having the Nostalgia channel. My son bought me a dvd player four years ago, but I use my vcr more. Season Two of The Loretta Young show is now available for sale. Critics Choice Video & DVD send me catalogs. The two seasons are available thru them, Movies Unlimited, or Amazon.com. These classice movies and TV shows are getting harder to find.

Hi FG, I was happy to learn that you knew what photo of Loretta that I saw. It was her last interview with a reporter. Her husband Jean Louis was still alive, and I enjoyed finding out why they moved to Palm Springs from Los Angeles. Many Hollywood stars spent their retirement years in Palm Springs.We can keep hoping that TCM will chose Loretta as Star Of The Month. Jane Wyman was a friend and contempory`s of Loretta`s, and she was chosen a few years ago.Roz Russell another friend would also be a good choice. Have you seen the photo of Loretta and Roz dressed as the Toni twins at a party? The photo is in one of my books.

Hi FG, I don`t know what the Toni Twins is referring to in the photo. Toni home permanent is the only thing that I could come up with. The photo in question was taken at the 1948 Hollywood Photographers Costume Ball.The caption said that the ladies caused a sesation when they arrived. The photo is in the book "Loretta Young An Extraordinary Life by Joe Morella and Edward Z. Epstein. I was very forutunate to buy this book for $5 at Barnes & Noble many years ago.The public library might have a copy too.

sorry, but every time i try to answer yall, i have the hardest time trying to post on here with all the refreshing of the pages. goodness!! heehee!

brian i love the pics you have posted of her. you are definitely the king of beautiful pictures. :)

cashette, yes of course i own a copy of Greer Garson's biography. i think i have read it at least three or four times and have it memorized. i just love reading it. i also collect movie star bios and have quite a few. which other ones do you have besides greer's?

i have a bio of kate hepburn, a few of gary cooper, heehee!, barbra streisand, judy garland, the autobio of junie allyson, another good one i must say, loretta young,the auto bio of errol flynn, angela lansbury, i really wanna get one of walter pidgeon if there is one. yes i have read " Uncommon knowledge" by her daughter, but i dont own it....yet anyways. heehee!

i have the Story of Alexander Graham Bell on tape, but it isnt too good of a recording. it is one of my favs of loretta young and don ameche's other than ramona. she plays her part in it brilliantly, but i keep looking on the fox channel, AMC, and TCM and i havent seen any of them play it yet so i cant record it yet. i loved seeing all her sisters woth her in that movie and they all look so much alike, but loretta is prettiest. heehee!

yes i really wanna see Ladies Couragious too, but it wont evrer come on TCM, and it is one of the few my grandmama doesnt have in her extremely large library full of old movies, but she has seen it before and says it is one of her good ones, not to mention i looked it up on imdb.com and it looks so good, so i cant wait for it to come on.

you must have the same book as i do cashette. i have that picture with both of them as the toni twins too in one of my books. heehee! i love that picture of them. it's cute. i thought it was so pathetic that i actually knew who the toni twins were. in all those photoplay magazines i have, there are these ads with the toni twins standing next to each other, and you have to guess which one is wearing the permant do they are advertising for. heehee! i love all those ads from back then. they make me giggle lots. :)

Hi Butterscotch, Didn`t you think that Loretta and Roz looked like twins in the photo? Gee, I wonder if Toni home permanent is still available.In the 1960`s I would buy Photoplay, TV Radio Mirror, and Modern Screen magazines.Now I receive People and Entertainment Weekly Magazine in the mail.