Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Hi Butterscotch, Darn, I wished that I bought "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell when it was for sale on video. It was a Fox classic which was released on the first or second Tuesday of the month. Two movies of Loretta`s which I have never seen Are "Clive Of India" and "Half Angel". FMC is showing Clive on Sept. 21st at 6:am. and "Half Angel" will be shown on Sept 26th at 10:30am.I had taped the A & E biography of Loretta, and it brought back some interesting facts. In 1938 Loretta left 20th Century Fox studios because Darryl F. Zanuck was offering her such crummy scripts. While playing golf with the other studio moguls, he passed the word around that Loretta shouldn`t be hired. The year was 1939, and Loretta kept busy doing radio. Finally, she took matters in her own hands and lowered her asking price from $150,000 to $75,000 per picture. Never to pass up a good deal, Harry Cohn signed Loretta to make "The Doctor Takes A Wife" 1940 with Ray Milland. Loretta`s career was back on track again. She freelanced for the rest of her movie career, but she came to Fox to make "Come Back To The Stable" 1949.

Butterscotch, my list of movie stars biography books that I own is long so I divided it into actresses and actors, and directors. I have been collecting for forty years. My actress books:

Eve Arden, Jean Arthur, Lucille Ball,Joan Crawford, Doris Day, Patty Duke, Ingrid Bergman, Marian Davies, Bette Davis, Joan Fontaine, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Susan Hayward, Greer Garson, Grace Kelly, Rita Hayworh, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley MacLaine, Patricia Neal, Maureen OHara, Debbie Reynolds, Barbara Stanwyck, Susan Strasberg, Natalie Wood, Esther Williams, Jane Wyman,Rosiland Russell, and Loretta Young.

Directors: Frank Capra, John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder

Butterscotch, Here is my list of actor bios that I own:

Gary Cooper, Montgomery Clift, James Cagney. Henry Fonda, Humphrey Bogart, Kirk Douglas,William Holden,Cary Grant, Peter Lawford, Robert Mitchum, Elvis Presley, Gregory Peck, Spencer Tracy. John Wayne, Orson Welles, Frank Sinatra, James Stewart

At last I get to post....

I love reading bios and autobios of stars, I've read so many that I sometimes get confused abt who said what abt whom, etc.

Right now I'm rereading Judy Lewis's book abt her relationship with her mother Loretta, "Uncommon Knowledge". I highly recommend this book (if it hasn't been mentioned already on this thread). In it there are pics of Loretta's mother and father. It's easy to see where she and her sisters got their good looks.

And didn't Loretta show everyone up when she made those glorious appearances at the Academy Awards, oh so beautiful well into old age. Knowing how pretty it was to wear a dress that MOVED when she walked, she made other actresses look dowdy and awkward.

PS Was there anyone who could wear her hair caught up at the nape of her neck better than Loretta?

Hi Poinciana, I bought "Uncommon Knowledge" when it came out in 1994. The photos alone were worth the price. Judy Lewis `s book is a great read, and she also spoke on the A & E biography of Loretta that I watched last night. I taped the show in 1998. Iam very happy that you were able to get on Loretta`s post tonight. It has been difficult this past week. Loretta looked beautiful when she won the 1947 Acadeny Award for "The Farmer`s Daughter". Her gown was made of yards of emerald-green silk taffeta with matching opera length gloves.Sandy Scherer`s book "Hollywood Dressed And Undressed" has four wedding photos of Loretta. Two are from her films "The Stranger" and "Half Angel". The other two photos are from her elopement to Grant Withers in 1930, and her Catholic wedding to Tom Lewis in 1940.I have seen the movie "The Stranger", but I so far I have not seen "Half Angel".

hey cashette!!

i really want for the Story of Alexander Graham Bell to come out on DVD!! it is such a great movie, and everytime i use the phone i call it the, Ameche. heehee!

clive of india is another good one. i love ronnie colman's performance and loretta was soo beautiful as usual in it. Half Angel, i love b/c it is different than alot of hers others. i love that green outfit she always wears with the yellow sash tied to her belt, when she is sleep walking...awake. heehee! i love the pairing of joseph cotten and her, esp in the Farmer's Daughter too. they are the bees knees if you ask me. :) i havent seen the doctor takes a wife, but i recorded it when her day was in august. i cant wait to see it. my grandmama says it is a real cute one. i had read all about that darryl zanuck thing in her bios....and thought it was so mean to do, but i have read too many things on the fact that he was exactly heaven to be around anyway.

i have read almost every one of those bios you have collected, ecp patricia neal's and a couple others. i am not particularly a fan of hers....at all.

Hi Cinemaven, It is a true story that Darryl F. Zanuck tried to have Loretta not be hired by the studios. He wanted her to sign another seven year contract, and she refused. Loretta felt that she could get better parts by freelancing like Barbara Stanwyck. Her son Christopher Lewis talked about his mother not being hired by the studios on the A & E biography that I recently watched. The movie moguls did not like to be opposed. If Loretta had signed another contract with Fox, she might not have gotten the Part of Katie Holstrom in "The Farmer`s Daughter".

Hi Butterscotch, Remember the line in "Ball Of Fire" when Sugarpuss O`Shea tells Professor about the Ameche. Why isn`t this movie on dvd? It was one of the last movies that Loretta made on her contract with Fox. "Suez" was also released in 1939. Loretta was a flame of Tyronne Power, but he fell for Annabella while making this movie. "Half Angel" is the movie that I need to see. Joseph Cotton was so funny in "The Farmer`s Daughter". He thought that he was so smart ice skating, and for all his efforts he caught a bad cold. It was worth it to get a rubdown from Katie.

yes i remember that line...the first time i saw Ball of Fire...from then on i just had to call the phone the Ameche. heehee! i saw that before i saw Story of Alexander Graham Bell.

Suez in a good one, but it is my least favs out of Ty power's and loretta's movies together. i really liked them together in Cafe Metropole. they were tooooooo perfect in that one and he did such a great job with that russian accent.

the Farmers daughter was the first movie i ever saw Joseph cotten in and i thought he was just too funny when he fell into the ice. thelook on katie's facewas too priceless when she thought he was the one who died when it was the other congress man, and then she fainted. i love ethel barrymore in this one too. i love the parts when her and mr clancy were betting when watching katie and glenn outside together. i always laugh, they are so cute. :)

you havent seen Half Angel yet? oh my goodness!! you need to seethis one. joey cotten and loretta once again make their magic in this crazy and oh so cute movie.

Butterscotch, you sent me such a nice post, and it only showed up on my yahoo email. The posting is still mixed up. Anyway, I have not seen "Cafe Metropole" either, but the movie sounds exotic. The scene in "The Farmer`s Daughter" when the chair comes out of the wall and goes upstairs is funny too.What hunks Loretta had as brothers in that movie! James Arness, Lex Barker, and Keith Andes. I had purchased a set of videos sometime ago of Loretta`s TV series. The episodes are from different years, and I watched two shows from 1958. Loretta played a high school teacher who needed to find a second job to supplement her income. She found a job as a parttime waittress, but her students found out. They came to the restaurant and humiliated her. This episode won Loretta an award from the National Eduacational Administration. It was easy to so why Loretta won three Emmys during the run of her show.

oh i know cashette, i own the very first season of the loretta young show and i just found out that the second season is out.....so i really wanna get that one too. i never found it hard to believe that she won three emmys just like that. you need to see the rest of the episodes, noone could have done them better. her timing in them was impecable, and boy was she fantastic. i havent seen that episode you were talking about, but i cant wait to see it now. :)

i thought all the guys that played her brothers in the Farmer's Daughter were so handsome, and i also love the scene where all of them shake joey cotten's hand and he squints b/c of each of their grips. heeheeheehee!

Hi Butterscotch,

The set that I own are seven videos with two episodes on each tape. It was the seventh tape that I watched the episode called "The Twenty Cent Tip". The first episode was entitled "Little Witness" and Johnny Crawford who was on "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors played Loretta`s son. This episode was very good too. We are in agreement here, we both love Loretta. One hand washes the other, and you have been a loyal friend. I agree with Garbomania. My Loretta post has done well which makes me happy, and I posted on your Walter Pidgeon site.If a TCM programmer notices how many views a particular movie star has, they might be considered as a star of the month. I have never understood why certain stars are repeated as stars of the month, while other stars are still waiting their turn.

Butterscotch, I am rewriting the post that was erased last night. The name of the episode that I was referring to was "The Twenty Cent Tip". It came in a set of seven videos of two episodes on each tape. The episodes were from different years of "The Loretta Young Show". I bought the set five years ago. The dvd set of the first two complete seasons of her shows are better. All off the episodes are included. I have saved all of my yearly catalogs from Critics Choice Video and DVD. In 2000 they sold both "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell and "Because Of You". It is toobad that these outlets have stopped selling some of these classic titles.

i didnt know lex was married to arlene dahl, i just remember that she was married to fernando lamas and they have a real hot son lorenzo lamas. heehee! i have seen him on a couple sci-fi movies, but i didnt really like them, b/c i am not much of a scarry movie person.

that is awesome that you have a set of episodes. i love them all and hope to get all the seasons when they all come out. :) i really want the story of alexander graham bell to come out on DVD. it is one of my favs of hers, and Because of You is another one with jeff chandler.

Butterscotch, We lost a good friend of Loretta`s yesterday,Jane Wyman. It was so sad to hear the news of her death. Now the two friends can be together again. loretta passed away in august 2000. A book that I own is "The Completa Book Of Oscar Fashion Variety`s 75 Years Of Glamour On The Red Carpet".It contains a lovely photo of Loretta presenting the 1948 Academy Award for "Johhny Belinda" to Jane Wyman. Jane wore a long sleeve white gown touched off with a two string choker of pearls. Loretta`s gown had cap sleeves and was adorned with lace and spangles.The caption of the photo said Gal Pals. How true, Loretta, Jane, Barbara, Roz together

i read that jane wyman died, and i just hate whenever i see that. i just fell to pieces when i heard junie allyson died. i never could picture her dying, i honeslty thought she would live for a much longer time. i wish loretta young was alive today too, but she died a painful death of cancer. i loved quite a few of jane wyman's movies, and i love watching them with my grandmama. we both like Three Guys Named Mike. that is such a cute one.

oh my goodness cashette, i have that book too, and i love that pic of them together.i esp like the dress that loretta wore. those cap sleeves really look appealing on her, but i realllllllly loooove the dress she wore of the emerald green when she won the oscar. i would have absolutely loved to have seenthat one in color, esp since green is my fav color. heehee!

Butterscotch, is your birthday in May? My daughter shares her bd with Henry Fonda May 16, and the birthstone for May is emerald. My birthstone is sapphire 9/12 so my favorite color has always been blue. I would have liked to have seen Loretta`s emerald gown in color too. Did you click on Jane Wyman`s website? Her service will be held at a Catholic Church either tomorrow or Thursday. Jane was a convert, and I think that Loretta showed her the way. I was happy that you own the same Oscar fashion book. By the expression on their faces, you could tell that they were good friends. I wish that the photo could be posted.

no i wasnt born in may. i was born in spetember too like you, and i have always loved the color blue, but my fav is still green. heehee! i am a catholic so that is nice that she will have a catholic service. i wish i could go to it. i will definitely look for that pic to post it. i would scan it from my book, but the scanner stopped working.

Thanks FG for the two lovely photos of Loretta. the second photo is from "Because Of You" with Jeff Chandler and the little girl who played their daughter. It was a tearjerker, but Loretta could do these parts so well. Frances Dee and Mae Clarke had small parts in the movie. If TCM has shown this movie, it has not been on recently.

I am Catholic too, and I graduated from a Catholic H.S. Our unifrom was a navy blue blazer, a long sleeve white blouse, and a plaide skirt. I always wore saddle shoes. Maybe one of the reasons that I enjoy watching classic movies, everything was more simple. My daughter told me that if I owned a scanner, I could scan the photo of Loretta`s Oscar gown from the book. The photo is too nice just to leave in a book. It is nice that you can watch movies with your grandmother. FG posted two lovely photos of Loretta.