Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Forever Garland, Did you notice that the featured book for October on the TCM site, is the Jeannie Basinger book I mentioned a few months ago. The front cover has the lovely photo of Loretta and Tyronne Power from "Second Honeymoon". I registered to win a free copy, but I never win anything. hehee The next used tape that I would like to purchase from Amazon is "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell " which they currently have available.

Cashette, i have seen Alexander Graham Bell , and it is a really good interesting movieand although Loretta is not the main character, she is a major part in the movie..i think you will enjoy it, and i may get a copy of it myself sometime soon.It's been years since i saw it last. FG

FG, It has been many years since I have seen "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell". I recently read that Loretta wanted to play the role of Mrs. Bell as a deaf mute, but she was overruled. Remember she was also deaf in the wonderful "And Now Tomorrow" with Alan Ladd. The made a great screen pairing. Amazon.com has been selling their other movie together "China".

Yes, I agree with you FG, and that is why we bought our videos. Hopefully my package will arrive before the weekend. Today I checked out EBay, and a seller has ten of Loretta`s movies for sale. The titles included "Private Number", "Cafe Metropole", "Three Blind Mice", "Ladies In Love", "Second Honeymoon". and "Wife, Husband, and Friend." The same seller also had "Mister 880" and "Torch Singer" with Claudette Colbert. Two rare Gary Cooper titles and a movie of Barbara Stanwyck`s that I`ve never seen were also for sale. The seller has to identify their location, and the person lives where I do. Small World!

Cashette, if getting them on Ebay, just ask the seller what the quality is of the vhs or dvd if is not manufactured, i asked one seller on a scale of 1-10 what the dvd was and he wouldn't tell me ..said he didn't like to grade them that way , and that it looked fine..i said yeah...right..for 16 dollars i need to know.There are many sellers on Ebay selling dvd copies of movies that have gone into public domain, and have no copyright on them anymore.FG

I was going to post these screen caps on another thread, but I thought I do it on the Loretta Young thread. Here are some screen caps from Loretta's screen test for Rebecca:

lyoung1.jpg

lyoung2.jpg

lyoung3.jpg

lyoung4.jpg

The footage from Loretta's screen test pretty much took place in that chair. She only stood up once, so the variety of caps isn't as interesting as say Vivien Leigh's.

Hello all...time to post some pics of the Beauty Loretta.A person once posted on this board that Loretta had no sex appeal whatsoever...well i believe this next photo proves that idiot theory Wrong! I had posted a photo of Loretta like this one before that was turned into color, but this is the orig. and wanted to post it for all to see, and as we will all see from this pic..Loretta had a lot of Sugar & SPICE!..proving the theory...A little Loretta , goes a long way! FG

LorettaYoung.jpg

lorettaa.jpg

Loretta20Young.jpg

lor.jpg

lorettb.jpg

loretta_young_1953_arms_crossed.jpg

lorettayoung8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Loretta looks wonderful in these photos no matter what her age is. The bridal gown pic might be from "Half Angel". The photo of Loretta and Tyronne Power is a still from "Second Honeymoon". This is the cover photo of the new book "The Star Machine", by Jeanine Basinger which will be in bookstores on October 23rd. The mature photo of Loretta I think was taken for a feature in Vanity Fair magazine when Loretta was in her 80`s.Thanks Forever Garland for the marvelous photos.

Hi FG, The photo of the mature Loretta was taken in 1999 when she was 86. Loretta remained lovely to the end. Yesterday I went to Barnes & Noble, and the the new bood "The Star Machine was on their shelves. The cover photo of Loretta and Tyronne was too tempting for me not to take a peak. Jeanine Basinger the author says that today Loretta is not remembered in the top echelelon of actresses. She was an independant woman who took control of her own career, and led a scandel free life. The secret of Judy did not come out until years later. Loretta played many different genres, and she acted opposite the elite of male costars,Cagney Cooper,Gable,Tracy, Ladd,Power, etc. I am buying this book for the chapter Ms. Basinger devotes to Loretta. She agrees with me that Loretta should be remembered all year, and not only during the holiday season when "The Bishop`s Wife" is shown.

i completely agree with you maureen, and this author. i have really wanted to see this new book, but i havent been to barnes and noble for a long time. i really need to though . heehee! i cant wait to read this. it looks good. and she should be remembered for all uyear roung instead of just at christmas. they also play come to the stable a lot at christmas time too. i have her tv christmas movie she made in the eighties and she won a golden globe for, Christmas Eve. it is so good!!! but that really isnt the point. heehee! i mean, she has so many great movies that should be remembered more than they are right now, and she was so talented!!

Theresa, In my opinion Loretta was the prettiest of the Young sisters. Hehehe I own the TV movie "Christmas Eve" too. I found a few more movies of Loretta "Call Of The Wild", "Taxi", "Employees Entrance", and "The Unguarded Hour". Today I went to Border`s, and a brand new biography of Bette Davis was on the shelves. The title is "Dark Victory" and it is written by Ed Sikov who wrote the bio on Billy Wilder "On Sunset Blvd". The book on Billy I own.

Theresa, tell your grandma that "Taxi" will be shown on January 17, 2008 at 4:15am. The movie is one many being broadcast in salute to the TCM Star Of The Month James Cagney. I usually taped three movies on one tape, so it will take me awhile to go thru my videos.

Butterscotch, Tonight I watched a video I own from the Forbidden Hollywood collection. "Hereos For Sale" 1934 was directed by William Wellman and starred Richard Barthlemass. Loretta played Richard`s wife during the dark days of the Depression. Loretta acted in a number of pre code movies in the early 1930's.