Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

Hi Arturo, Last night I found a long lost video that I had taped "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell". Don Ameche and Loretta Young made a loving couple. This is the only movie that I have seen of Loretta and Don together, and a collectors set would be most welcome. Have you seen the other movies that this pair acted in?

Hi Theresa, Last night I found a long lost tape "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell". Don Ameche was the star, and Loretta was lovely and loyal as his wife. Charles Coburn and Spring Byington played her parents, and Geogiana, Loretta`s youngest sister was also very beautiful. Ricardo Montalbon saw this movie in 1939 and fell in love with Georgiana. It was only a few years later that they met and were married. Henry Fonda`s role as Thomas Watson was definetly a costarring role.This is the last movie that Loretta made while under contart to 20th Century Fox.

oh im so glad you found it maureen!! i love alexander graham bell!! i think i have watched this way too many times, but on the other hand, one can never watch old movies too many times!! naturally... :)

everytime i hear the phone ring, i go," look the ameche is ringing!" i love it!

i love seeing all her sisters in this movie playing her sisters. that was too awesome. when i first saw this at my grandmama's house i didnt know they were her real sisters until she told me about that. i was so excited!

Theresa, Bobs Watson played Gene Lockhart`s little boy. It was the first time that I had seen Charles Coburn and Gene Lockhart with a beard. Barbara Stanwyck called the telephone the "Ameche" in "Ball Of Fire". I enjoyed "The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell" to watch again.

cashette, besides Alexander's Graham Band...i mean Graham Bell, i have Ramona and Ladies in Love on video, and have watched Love is News (boy do I wish I had this one) and Love Under Fire (another I'd like to own). Yes, I think a boxset will be most appreciated. Loretta was never lovelier, and so tender as the (deaf?)/mute.

I think I'll go over to the thread on movies hoping TCM will show for Xmas and suggest this title.

Hi Forever Garland, I am so happy to see that you are back. You are always missed when your away. The photos of Loretta are beautiful as always, and I loved the sexy pic with the towel. Who said that Loretta was a prude? On another site here, someone posted that Loretta was always overrated, and they couldn`t understand her appeal. Maybe that person hasn`t watched as many of Loretta`s films as we have. She was the best actor in many of her films and carried some of them by herself. Loretta will always be my all time favorite beauty.

Hi Auturo, I have never seen the three Loreeta titles that you mentioned. Have you seen the beautiful photos that Forever Garland posted of Loretta? She never took a bad photo. TCM will be showing "The Bishop`s Wife" in December, and I will also be watching "Come To The Stable" which I own.

Hey Theresa, who was the actor in the photo with Loretta? My guess is John Boles, but I could be wrong. I will be watching Christmas Eve this week. I recall a Christmas scene in And Now Tomorrow. Loretta is a young girl, and she is distributing gifts to her father`s employees.Alan Ladd and Loretta had great chemistry, and this film is one of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Theresa, Did you watch Loretta in Midnight Mary last night. She was gorgous in the black off the shoulder gown and the white satin with a hat that almost completely covered her head. She had two handsome men as costars,Ricardo Cortez and Franchot Tone. I enjoyed this movie.

• 2 months later...

Hi Forever Garland, Loretta will always be the great beauty to me. Last night I was looking thru my Oscar fashion book. The green tafetta gown that Loretta wore when she won the Oscar for "The Farmer`s Daughter" still is a beauty.

I don`t know why "The Farmer`s Daughter" is not available on dvd. My copy is vhs. Actors or actresses do not usually win Oscars for a comedy performance. I have read that some movie fans did agree with Loretta winning for her performance. In my opionion, I totally disagree. Loretta was Katie Holstrum in this role.

At the risk of repeating (but it's so good) a story that may have been related earlier in this thread about RACHEL AND THE STRANGER:

A devout Catholic, Young frowned on unseemly behavior of all kinds and particularly disapproved the use of bad language in the workplace. It was generally understood that there was to be no swearing by anyone within miles of Loretta's delicate ears, a tall order considering that in the movie business even the child actors cursed like sailors. To enforce this edict, Loretta instituted her infamous "curse box," requiring an immediate donation (to be forwarded to one of her Catholic charities) by anyone on the set uttering a forbidden epithet.

...An assistant explained to Bob how the curse box worked, with its sliding scale of penalties. "It's fifty cents for 'h*ll,' a dollar for 'd*mn,' a dollar-fifty for 'sh*t' --"

"What I want to know is," said Mitchum, in a voice that could be heard throughout Oregon, "what does Miss Young charge for a 'f*ck'?"

From Lee Server's Robert Mitchum: Baby, I Don't Care

Apparently, not much, seeing as she did it at least once with Clark Gable during the filming of CALL OF THE WILD. I wonder how the holy one was forgiven by the Catholic church for such a dastardly deed? Probably at the end of a series of large checks.

Marlene Dietrich said of Loretta, "everytime she sins, she builds a cathedral".

I am not perfect and neither was Loretta. She did not have an abortion, but she gave birth to her daughter Judy. Loretta lived with her mother until she married Tom Lewis in 1940. She supported herself, and the only way not to destroy her career or Clark Gable`s was to place Judy in a priviate institution. Loretta adopted Judy eighteen months later.

I must admit I wasn't much of a Loretta Young fan until I saw some of her pre-Codes on TCM over the past few months. Sure, she was an incredibly luminous actress, but her work in those films showed she was a darn good one, too -- and I'm glad she lived long enough to both acknowledge her work in those films and to be appreciated for them.