Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lovely Loretta Young

hey maureen!!

i finally got to see Taxi! the other day and loved it!!! i think i have enjoyed all loretta's pre-code movies so far. i honestly dont think loretta could have made a bad film, for i love every single one of them. im looking to buy Three Blind Mice on Ebay soon. i really want to see that one and grandmama doesnt seem to have it although she has seen it and rubs it in my face. heehee! ;)

Hi Theresa, Wow a photo from "Taxi", and you finally saw the film. Aren`t the scenes with Loretta and Jimmy great? I knew that you would enjoy this movie. Did you watch the Oscare ceremony Sunday night? I bet the presentation sixty years ago when Loretta won the Academy award , and she wore the green tafetta gown was more exciting.

i was a little dissappointed in the oscars this year. i did watch them only for the dresses as i do every year. heehee! or did i mention im completely obssessed with dresses? ;) i didnt like that almost every movie nominated for best picture was rated R. oy!

i would have absolutely loved to have seen the whole night when loretta got her award. to see the look on her face, when they said her name would have been so cool! and that emerald green dress....i want one exactly like it. i think i might make one just like it. but i dont think i could pull off looking as glamorous and gorgeous in it as she did though. heehee!

Hi Theresa, My daughter and I watched the Oscars together. We always critique the gowns, and my daughter said that Tilda Swinton`s gown looked like a hefty bag. E fashion police didn`t agree, and they felt that Kelly Preston and Nicole Kidman`s gowns were more unattractive. I disagree. When Angelica Huston won the best supporting award for "Prizzi`s Honor", I did not like her gown either. My perference is sleeveless, short or long sleeves, or strapless. The appeal of one arm covered and the bare elludes me. What do you think?

i thought jessica alba's was kind of pretty, but it would have been prettierwithout the frontal feathers. i didnt like nicole kidman's outfit very well. i didnt mind the dress, but the jewelrey was a bit overwhelming. i'm with you on the one arm having a strap and the other one bare, not appealing. i think the only one i liked with a one arm strap was, i dont know her name, but she had the microphone have the time and she had three straps with sparkles and her dress was beautiful. but i think i would have added the three straps again to the other arm to make it even more beautiful. heehee! i loved marion cotillard's mermaid dress. i would have made the neck line a little higher though. ;) heidi klum's red dress was a little over the top with all that red sticking up over her neck. but i did like the style of the dress. funny, i thought the same thing about tilda swinton's dress. her hair didnt help it. i thought she was better looking in the movie she was in for the awards, altough i didnt see it, i saw previews. my friend said that penelope cruz looked like she had a whole bird on her front, but i thought he was being kinda hard. it was funny though.

i think i would prefer two sleeves, with an elegantly simple look. i get sort of critical when it comes to dresses. heehee! what do you think maureen?

Hi Theresa, I went to the People.com site, and they had a galley of photos from the Oscars.y favorite gowns were worn by Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Garner, Anne Hathaway, Hilary Swank, Renee Zellweger, Keri Russell, Laura Linney, and Amy Ryan. Nicole Kidman`s gown wasn`t so bad, but the necklaces were too much. I saw the third hour of the Today show this morning, and they showed covers of Glmour magazine from the 1940`s. Guess who was on one of the covers! Loretta in a white pant outfit with matching jacket and wide legs. The issue was from 1948. They showed other covers of Glamour, and models came out wearing present day versions. The Today show website might be posting this.

Hi Theresa, I finally found the Today show home page. Everyday I check the news online at msnbc.com. You have to click on that site, and at the top the Today show is listed. Click Today and scrowl down to fashion and beauty. The current issue of Glamour magazine is shown, and you will find the photo of Loretta from 1941. The other movie stars are Vivien Leigh, Olivia deHavilland, Helen Parrish, and Eleanor Powell. When you see the photo of Eleanor, please me if you think that it looks like her. This photo looks nothing like the best tap dancer of the 1930`s and early 1940`s.

When you see the photo of Eleanor, please me if you think that it looks like her.

oh mjy goodness! you are so right maureen! she doesnt look like herself in that picture. thats so odd. thats funny though. i have these art journals i have been making sinc i was much littler and i have these lot of pages decored in the style of the thirties with a pic of a girl on it i had gotten out of a lot of vintage pictures. now i have been getting into clara bow movies more and more lately and i watched this one of her movies and she wore this dress in it that was exactly like the one i had in my journal, so i went to check it and it was clara bow!!! i had actually seen many of her movies when i put that in my journal too, but this was like one of the very last movies she did in the thirties and she looks completely different then when she was in the silent movie days, and i hadnt recognized her for i dont know how long. i just found that kind of funny.

so i can understand how that sometimes happens. i see it all the time. i sometimes see pics of loretta that i cant believe are her either until i look real closely at it. heehee!

Hi Theresa, The only movie that I have seen of the photos that you posted is "Suez",Loretta received glowing reviews for "Zoo In Budapest". I wonder if the photo of Loretta in front of a home is her own. She lived in a lovely home with her mother.

Hi,

I love your passionate post on this lovely lady!! I did read a few of the posts and did'nt see any mention of one her films I absolutely love and it is not from your earlier years but made in the 80s. It is called "Christmas Eve" and I watch it each and every Christmas. Have you ever seen it? It is not on dvd yet (I keep looking!) but only on VHS. It is a very sweet and very touching film and brings tears to my eyes each time i view it. Do any of you Young fans like this film?

hello!

yes we all love Christmas Eve! whats not to like about it. i loved her performance and she deserved the golden globe for it! i watch it every christmas since i was about four or five and havent missed one yet! heehee!

i always cry way too much when i watch it too, but i cant help it. i think my favorite line is when she is talking about crying in front of all those kids. i love that line, but cant remember it word for word. sorry. ;)

have you seen any other loretta films?

The profound feeling she had that her grandchildren and son would reunite as a family throughout the film is what moved me. It seems she just truly felt it was to be even though there were so many obstacles. When she realizes possibly since she had shown so much love to her beloved husband and never realized her young son felt left out and that contributed to his withdrawn and unloving ways is quite moving. I just felt so emotionally involved in her performance. The last scene when she views the clock ticking away and she glances over and sees all three grandchildren is when i lost it and cry like a baby. In pops in her son, everyone is on pins and needles and slowly you see his years of pain melt away and they all embrace.

As for other Young films, I've seen a few. "The Bishop's Wife", "The Farmer's Daughter" and "The Life Of Alexander Graham Bell". I do recall once on TCM some early thirties film showing and thought I saw Loretta Young but wasn't sure. I checked the listing and it was but I was astounded that she quite changed her look during the 40s. I'm not sure if it was just age or deliberate but she definitely changed considerably. Also, this wonderful lady aged very gracefully holding on to her beauty and elegance.

i cry many times during this movie, sometiems when it isnt even a sad part. i feel so emotional especially when watching this movie also as you do. the part when she tells Trevor howard the news, i just burst into tears! i found myself really wanting them to get togehter by the end at least. they has known each other for goodness knows how many years. i think they actually mention how many years he was her butler, but i forget. i love that she never gives up on the fact that she thinks her grandchildren will come on christmas eve. when she looks at that clock, you can just see the sadness in her face. it tears you open!

oh well you have seen some of her best movies! those are all some of my favorites of hers. now you like Alexander Graham Bell? this is one of me personal favorites of hers, but other people say that it was too cheesy and overacted. i disagree. wjhat do you think about this? how could anyone say that about this movie. it is such a great movie! ;)

Hi, Yes I own a vhs copy of "Christmas Eve". Loretta deserved her Golden Globe. I have admired Loretta`s career thru her pre code films to the many comedies and dramas she acted in. Thank you for your kind words on the Loretta post that I started. Loretta acted with many of the top male stars of the day. Taxi, Platinum Blonde, Call Of The Wild, Employees Entrance, The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell, China, And Now Tomorrow, The Stranger, The Farmer`s Daughter`s, Rachel And The Stranger,The Accused, Cause For Alarm, Key To The City, and Because Of You are some of my favorites. Loretta Young.com is the official family website. The comments of Loretta`s three children proved how much she was loved and apreciated.

i collect paper dolls, and that site has a part where you could print out the actual size of them plus all the pages from a coloring book of her.

http://www.loretta-young.com/LY-coloring-book-paper-dolls.html

my favs of loretta are: Rachel and the Stranger, Alexander Graham Bell, Along Came Jones, And Now Tomorrow, The Farmer's daughter, Zoo in Budapest, Cafe Metropole, The Stranger, Half Angel, Cause for Alarm, and Taxi, but its kind of hard to hate any of her performances as they are all heartfelt performances.

Hi Theresa, I knew that you would enjoy the Loretta Young website. The categories are all neatly organized, and I enjoyed seeing the photos of Loretta thru the different stages of her career. Did you read the mention of Jane Wyman in Ed Funk`s tribute? It would make many of her fans happy if TCM would consider Loretta as SOTM.