Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is a great noir directed by Anthony Mann ( The Naked Spur, Winchester '73 ) starring Dennis

' Keefe, Clair Trevor, Marsha Hunt, and Raymond Burr as a nasty villain, with a Lee Marvin trait that is pre - The Big Heat. The great Whit Bissell also appears in a small role.

Message was edited by: ken123

I, too, prefer Raw Deal. Alton's cinematography is a bit more stunning in T-Men, but I think the acting and narrative is stronger in Raw Deal. Raymond Burr is at his sadistic best, plus Whit Bissell, who is my litmus test for whether I'm likely to enjoy a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

My first ever viewing of *Raw Deal* went down tonight. It went down nice and easy. Exceptional film. It's easily in my top ten favorite noirs and I'm thinking it could be top five. I say this with the feeling that I haven't fully absorbed all of the film yet. Multiple viewings will be in order. I highly recommend this film.

SPOILER RUN AMOK

*Raw Deal* is a very unique triangle film. It's a film about love, dying and undying love. I haven't seen a film like this.

I never thought I'd see a noir where I felt sorry for Claire Trevor. Poor Pat (Claire Trevor) does everything for her man (Joe/Dennis O'Keefe) yet he never fully appreciates her. He completely takes her for granted. They never share a single kiss. Was she nothing but a convenience? Did he find her unconditional love to be stale and boring?

Meanwhile, Joe is completely taken by Ann (Marsha Hunt). She has his motor revvin'. Why? Opposites attract. Boy, do they ever. Ann challenges Joe's criminal ways and Joe challenges Ann's sensibilities. Both find this to be very stimulating.

One of the best scenes in the film is when Ann shoots a man to protect Joe. At this very point, Ann now understands the immense power of love. It's a love she has never felt in her life before. It's the same kind of love she questioned Pat for having. This scene climaxes on the beach with a passionate kiss between Joe and Ann. It's love at its rawest.

I also enjoyed the scene when Joe decides to send Ann on her way. He knows it's best for her, even though he's completely in love with her.

Pat's decision to tell (telltale) Joe that Ann was kidnapped and in danger just moments after he "proposes" to her on the ship made me scratch my head at first but it's very true to Pat's personality. Her unconditional love meant that she never wanted to see Joe get hurt and she knew he was really in love with Ann, not her. This set up the painful ending to the film. Joe physically dies, but both Pat and Ann emotionally die with him. Very tough.

The film features a nifty bookend. Pat helps spring Joe in the beginning of the film and it is Joe who springs Ann in the end. All in the name of love. Beautiful.

Raymond Burr and John Ireland were great in the film. Ireland was given some choice dialogue and he delivered it well. Burr was about as nasty as I've seen him.

The look of the film is spectacular. John Alton and Anthony Mann go all out. It's dark and dreamy. Quite exquisite. I'm gonna have to rewatch *T-Men* to see which look I like more. I'm thinking *Raw Deal*.

I absolutely love the fact that Pat (Claire Trevor) is narrating the film. It projects a forboding tragedy throughout. And do my ears deceive me, or do I hear a theremin? Why, yes, I do. Very nice.

"Would you wait three years for me?"

"I wanted to see how you'd react when you got kissed by something from under a stone."

"No. No, it wasn't just someone I killed. It wasn't just someone. It was her. I don't know why. I don't know why I did it. I loved her. I don't know why. I don't know why."

"May, it's no good without you!"

"Turn around now, jerk. And I hope you don't mind me calling you 'jerk' "

"Go right ahead. Called that a lot lately. In much better language."

"I got my breath of fresh air."

>>>Meanwhile, Joe is completely taken by Ann (Marsha Hunt). She has his motor revvin'. Why? Opposites attract. Boy, do they ever. Ann challenges Joe's criminal ways and Joe challenges Ann's sensibilities. Both find this to be very stimulating.<<<

Ain't it the truth, though.

Your take on Ann's reaction to just having shot one was interesting and one I hadn't considered. I was thinking it also showed her how easily you can find yourself doing the very thing you find unthinkable---that kind of deed which she was silently judging O'Keefe for having committed.

Nicely quoted at the end of your post, Frank, you have an amazing memory.

Miss G -- I was thinking it also showed her how easily you can find yourself doing the very thing you find unthinkable---that kind of deed which she was silently judging O'Keefe for having committed.

I believe it works on that level, as well, especially when you consider the woods scene where Ann lies to the Ranger. Joe thanks Ann for lying to the Ranger, but she tells him that she did it to protect the Ranger. So did she lie to protect the man she loved or did she lie to protect the Ranger or was it really both? At this stage of the film, I think she was protecting the Ranger more, but I also believe that her deep-seated love for Joe was starting to take hold. Her mind was saying, "you're foolish," but her body and soul were saying something far, far different.

Nicely quoted at the end of your post, Frank, you have an amazing memory.

I'd love to take that compliment and run with it, but I just can't. I'm too honest. I just got *Raw Deal* on DVD and I just transcribed the quotes from the film. Can you tell that the film moved me?

Frank,

Marsha Hunt is an actress you may want to keep a bead on, she was a *very* interesting woman (excuse me, IS a very interesting woman because she's still with us! A poster in another forum I belong to goes to the same church as Miss Hunt and says she's very much with us and a very gracious lady. She lives in Sherman Oaks, Ca, where she is also the honorary Mayor!). Marsha came from a fairly well-to-do midwest family and always had an interest in politics, which got her into hot water when she was eventually blacklisted in the 50s. However, she doesn't seem bitter and remembers her Hollywood days fondly, as recollected in at least one book she published that I have.

Though most of her career was spent as a contract player in supporting roles, she occasionally got a shot at a lead. Her intelligence and poise are almost always on display, especially when playing assured types like the forensic scientist in the excellent B-mystery with Van Heflin, *The Kid Glove Killer* , the criminal psychiatrist in Robert Taylor's *The High Wall* (you'd like those two) or her talent was flexible enough to play the dimmest of Jane Austen's Bennett sisters in *Pride and Prejudice* with perfect aplomb. In the melodrama *Smash Up: Story of a Woman* , Marsha got to play what is ostensibly a w-i-t-c-h (I don't know how to spell) but delivers an unexpected, frail human twist.

A very underrated, versatile actress, I'll be adding her picture to my Noir Gallery.

Here she is, when she appeared with Eddie Mueller for the Noir City film festival at San Francisco's Castro Theater

marshanoircity.jpg

marshanoircity2.jpg

Miss Gun For Hire -- Thanks for sharing your informative opinions of Marsha Hunt and for posting the photo of her with Eddie. She's still quite striking. A very beautiful woman.

*Raw Deal* was the first film I have ever seen of Marsha's. I liked what I saw.

I'm going to go with the crowd on this one. I like T-MEN. Like HE WALKED BY NIGHT. But RAW DEAL pretty much takes the trophy. It's a grim, dark story that never compromises.

Miss G,

THE HIGH WINDOW? From Raymond Chandler? Or is the title a coincidence? I haven't seen it. But if it's from Chandler's fascinating novel, I'd love to!

RR