Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Lady Stanwyck

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else pre-ordered the Stanwyck "Signature Collection" due out on 10/30/07? As a reminder, the titles include Annie Oakley, My Reputation, East Side, West Side, Jeopardy, Executive Suite, and To Please a Lady.

Of course, these were chosen in part because they have never before been released on DVD.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Butterscotch, great pics of Missy, Frankie`s and my wish has come true. "The. File One Thelma Jordan" will be shown on TCM in January. Frank and I have never seen this film noir, and I already have the broadcast date circled on my calander.

Hi, ButterysweetGreery -- I really like those photos of Missy that you posted. Thanks for sharing them.

i was actually planning on recording that one of hers too in fact. i cant wait to see it, b/c i have good reviews on this one. it doesnt look like my usual cutsie, sappy movie, but i am gonna watch it anyway. heehee! i hope frankie, and you and me enjoy watching it.

Ohh, you should be getting used to these dark noir alleys now. I tried and tried and tried to tell you to stay away, but you just don't listen. It's a good thing, too.

Hi, Cashette -- Frankie`s and my wish has come true. "The. File One Thelma Jordan" will be shown on TCM in January. Frank and I have never seen this film noir, and I already have the broadcast date circled on my calander.

Hey, it's nice to see my name being tossed around in a good light for a change. It helps boost my ego quite a bit. Thanks.

And, you're right, fellow Missy admirer, I can't wait to see The File on Thelma Jordon in January. It's the Stanwyck film I've been wanting to see the most. The Furies is another one I'm dying to see.

Hi Frank, Did you watch Missy in "The Miracle Woman" last night. I turned off that miserable World Series game and came home to TCM. Barbara shone as the evangelist Florence Fallon in her second film directed by Frank Capra. I also liked David Manners as the blind war veteran who Barbara saves. Thanks to a fan on the general discussion site, I visited www.digitalbits.com. They have a classic movie dvd update. The good news is "Golden Boy will be released on dvd November 13. It will contain Barbara`s first dramatic TV appearance on the Ford Television Theatre in 1957. The episode is entitled "Sudden Silence." I have found many reviews of tomorrow`s release of Barbara`s signature collection. They are all positive because everyone knows what a great actress Missy was.

I havent seen any of these films from the Stanwyck collection, but I do have 3 movies with her starring

Double Indemnity

Strange Love of Martha Ivers

Sorry Wrong Number

Actually I have Forbidden Hollywood Volume 1 and I think shes in one of those titles..

• 3 months later...

Hi FG---I really like the top two pictures of Missy Stanwyck---they show her at her most lovely. She always maintained her beauty and that figure. Many thanks!

P.S. I might add that it's only lately I've begun to like her and her looks more. I used to think her very unattractive but then I saw more of her early movies and her "low key" performances and I changed my mind. I also appreciate her professionalism and the fact that the guys on the crews who worked with her always said such great things about her. Only Carole Lombard and, believe it or not, Joan Crawford, come close to garnering that kind of consensus of praise from the people who saw them every day.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Hi FrankG & MissG,

Glad you both liked the pics of Barbara, i love to find the ones of her looking really beautiful, and she really was ..funny how the really glam photos of her are so hard to find , but there seems to be plenty of them..she was always a class act... and i have always found her very watchable!

I love her spunk! Hopefully i will be posting more pics of her soon...Thanks FG

"I also appreciate her professionalism and the fact that the guys on the crews who worked with her always said such great things about her. Only Carole Lombard and, believe it or not, Joan Crawford, come close to garnering that kind of consensus of praise from the people who saw them every day."

I've often heard that said about Lombard -- it's just one of the reasons she's my all-time favorite actress -- but Crawford? That's a new one on me. Not that I buy the "Mommie Dearest" image either, but she always struck me as the kind who was so driven that it would distance her from some of the niceties of the business. I can't say I'm surprised crews rated Stanwyck so highly; she always seem to have a lack of pretense about her. (Jean Harlow also had a similar good reputation on the set.)

I think the phrase ''better with age'' fits Barbara like mink. She kept her youthful charm along with her innate elegance. One of the reasons I like ''Titanic'' and ''There's Always Tomorrow'' so much( I guess I love pretty much everything Barbara did). Her grace was a tender counterpart for Clifton Webb's harsh cinicism and the old sparks between Missy and Fred MacMurray flickered again in Douglas Sirk's melodrama. Even in her late 40s she was a sight to behold and she had one of the best kept figures ever.

I got to know a few old timers in Hollywood who worked several times with Joan Crawford and they said she was one of the most considerate and thoughtful of the major stars toward crew people. She'd remember the names of the wives, children, etc. and always asked about them and spoke to everyone, regardless of their position on the Hollywood pecking order.

Lots of times, people who seem so very nice and sweet on screen were in fact real pains in the neck off camera so you can never tell.

• 8 months later...