Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

if you couild meet your favorite movie alive or dead???

• 2 months later...

One of my all-time favorites - Barry Brown - unfortunately died nearly 30 years ago.

But if (improbably) I were to meet him, I would want to sit down and discuss great literature

with him. In life, he was a brilliant young man, and was reputed to have read 300 books each year.

It would be a delight to have a discussion with a highly-intelligent individual who shared my

interests in: the Great Books, classical music, and jazz.

Favorite movie...favorite movie star??? Huh, wha'?? I can see a little why Cinesage gets frustrated on these threads.

To answer what I think is your question: I would have loved to sit down and talk with Frances Dee.

But alive...Doris Day.

No specific questions; just sit at their feet and let them tell me ALL about their experiences in Hollywood.

Alfred Hitchcock and Alma Reville (together) is who I'd want to meet and spend an evening with at their home. I'd love to experience their relationship firsthand.

In terms of performers, I'd want to meet Linda Darnell because, of all the actresses I like, she is the one who I felt was used a lot in her short life and I'd want to make her feel appreciated and loved.

darnell1.jpg

darnell2.jpg

James Garner - I have been in love with him since I was ten years old. First as Maverick, then Rockford, and of course, movies with Doris Day, etc. my favorite James Garner movie is "Murphy's Romance".

I would love to sit across from him at dinner and look into those beautiful brown eyes, see that delightful smile and hear that sexy voice.

Oh, well, you asked.

I went to Benjamin Franklin High School in New York's East Harlem (116th Street & FDR Drive). For our school newspaper (the Ben Jay Flash) I was sent to see "Support Your Local Sheriff." A bunch of schools were invited to the screening. After the screening us school kids were ushered to a back room and introduced to James Garner to interview him for our various newspapers. I STILL have the pen he used to sign my autograph book...somewhere. Handsome...hell yeah!

Chivalry is not dead. So nice of you Frank, to want to make Darnell feel the appreciation she might not have gotten in her career. Lovely shots of her. She's gorgeous. (I definitely see the resemblance Jennifer Beals has to her).

Thank you very much. That's terribly nice of you. You sure know how to soften me up, CineMaven. I better start teasing you.

By the way, I may need your help with Linda. I've gotten off to a poor start with her:

nowayout2.jpg

nowayout1.jpg

I guess the sunnier side of life says she's at least talking to me.

Okay, I did what you advised me to do. I got rid of the picture and bought the brand new "fair frigidaire" and here was her response:

nowayout3.jpg

nowayout4.jpg

I'm just a guy, so I'm never sure how to read women. She first called me just "scum" but now she's called me "dirty scum." Is that a sign that she really likes me now? Am I like a special kind of scum? I'm confused. Well, at least she hasn't told me to "go to the devil"... yet. :)

I'd like to meet Bette Davis and I would ask her why she dispised Joan Crawford so much. I read an interview that someone had done with her, and she was talking about the scene in 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?' where she shoves Joan down the stairs. Well she said that doing that scene was the most fun that she had ever had with Miss Joan Crawford. I just about died when I read that, I couldn't stop laughing. I know it's mean, but its so Bette.

Hi, Miss Goddess (One Ava Girl) -- That's just her way of telling you she likes you. You didn't forget the stockings did you? If you forgot to give a supply of new stockings that's probably why she's "freezing" you.

What, do I always have to buy Linda's warmth? Oh, no. I better go with Alma Reville as my choice then. She's a good team player.

Hey, Lauren (Two Ava Girl) -- Bette Davis for you, Lauren? I hope you're on the guest list.

hushush1.jpg

You are always cracking my up with your imaginative use of screencaps.

I guess I'll throw in my two cents worth here too.

Actor - *Gary Cooper* (big surprise): He's great and my fave actor but I'd be too nervous to tell him that and would just giggle incessantly. He'd look at me like I was crazy then politely excuse himself and run away :).

Actress - *Clara Bow*: After reading her bio and watching a ton of her movies she has become my favorite actress (Barbara Stanwyck and Jean Arthur aren't far behind her though ;) ). I'd love to go shopping with her and just tell her how much I loved her films and how talented she was. She had such low self esteem and self confidence and never really understood her appeal to the fans.

Hiya, Coop's Girl -- You are always cracking my up with your imaginative use of screencaps.

After all my teases of you, you still have room enough to give me such a nice compliment. Now that's so very kind of you.

generaldiedatdawn8.jpg

generaldiedatdawn9.jpg

Okay, if you can't select Coop for your actor, who's your choice?

She had such low self esteem and self confidence and never really understood her appeal to the fans.

I didn't know this about Clara Bow. Oddly enough, I find this very appealing.

*Greer Garson*~i would love to have a tea party with greer and just discuss anything and everything possible. that would be so incrediblyfun and exciting for me!!!

*Gary Cooper*~i dont think he would go for a tea party, heehee! if he just looked at me, i would probqably hit the floor.....of course he would catch me! :)

i really wanted to meet *junie allyson*, and when she died i was sooooo sad!

*angela lansbury* is still alive and that would be an honor to meet her as well as julie andrews!

oooh and *vanji* (van johnson) is still alive!! yay! i want to meet him too. :) i bet katharine hepburn would have been a lulu to talk too, i have heard that she was quite on the blunt side. heehee!

Once again, great screencaps. But keep that monkey away from me, I'm not good around kids or animals ;) .

Okay so if I can't pick Gary then I'll go with *Don Knotts*. He's known more for his tv work than his movies but I just love him so much as Barney Fife that I'll pick him. I don't usually watch any eps of *The Andy Griffith Show* after Don left b/c it just wasn't the same to me.

Clara's mother really did a number on her self image when she was growing up like always telling her she was ugly and had no talent and wouldn't amount to anything. When Clara's maternal grandfather died in their tenement right at Clara's feet, her mother told her she wished Clara had died instead. She was 4 years old when that happened. She was a tomboy growing up and most of the girls in her school and neighborhood picked on her a lot. So later on when she became a huge success, she never really understood why people liked her so much. In the 50's when they began airing some of her talkies on tv she was introduced to a whole new generation and got fan letters from teenagers who were seeing her for the first time. She'd answer them back and send autographed pics, but it just blew her mind that people still cared anything about her.

I'm not sure that we can truly grasp today how big a star she was when she was at her peak. I really don't think there is anyone from the modern era that can compare. At one point she was receiving more fan mail than anyone in Hollywood by leaps and bounds. She had natural auburn colored hair but they added henna to it to make it more fiery red. When that was printed in the fan mags sales of henna tripled across the country. Stores sold 'Clara Bow hats' and matching hat boxes that had her picture on them along with the clothing style she wore in her films. Basically she was marketed like many things are today but she was much more than that. She was universally loved by men and women and best represented the timein which she lived where the popular culture was turning more towards a focus on youth and vitality which she had in abundance.

Okay I'll get off my Clara Bow soap box, at least for now :).

I don't usually watch any eps of The Andy Griffith Show after Don left b/c it just wasn't the same to me.

Me neither---Mayberry just wasn't the same. Even Andy seemed to turn into a grumpus after Don left. It's like The Lone Ranger without Tonto.

Hiya, Barney's Girl -- Once again, great screencaps. But keep that monkey away from me, I'm not good around kids or animals.

Well, you're not good around adults either, so what are you good around? No!!! I'm clearly not an adult, I'm a kid. Don't you wanna play with me? What?! A monkey?! Well, yes, I'm that, too. Line please. Really?! Hitch wants me to say that? Okay. You wanna monkey around, Monkey Face?

You do get serious props from me for your selection of Don Knotts. I give you a lot of credit for that one. I like Don Knotts a lot. Of course, my reasons are different than yours. Scroll down.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts on Clara Bow. I like the passion and compassion within your words. I always respond to such heartfelt writing. It was also educational for me. Thank you.

She had natural auburn colored hair but they added henna to it to make it more fiery red. When that was printed in the fan mags sales of henna tripled across the country. Stores sold 'Clara Bow hats' and matching hat boxes that had her picture on them along with the clothing style she wore in her films. Basically she was marketed like many things are today but she was much more than that.

If only someone could bring back Clara's style today. No where can we find such a chick?

All I know is that I'm THRILLED you are talking about Clara Bow. Anything to stop you from incessantly talking about Coop's chest hair is to be thanked. Thank you, Clara Bow! :)

Hi, Me Neither (Perfect name for you. I'd say it sums it all up but there's nothing to sum up. :P ) -- Mayberry just wasn't the same. Even Andy seemed to turn into a grumpus after Don left. It's like The Lone Ranger without Tonto.

Or it would be like you without humor or taste or smarts or sweetness. Wait a minute. You already lack these things. I guess I'm catching you at the end of your run, Miss Lost Her Touch. What channels are the reruns on? Maybe I'll like those.

threescompany34.jpg

threescompany36.jpg

threescompany35.jpg

threescompany20.jpg

threescompany21.jpg

threescompany22.jpg

threescompany23.jpg

threescompany24.jpg

threescompany25.jpg

threescompany26.jpg

threescompany27.jpg

threescompany28.jpg

threescompany29.jpg

threescompany30.jpg

threescompany31.jpg

threescompany32.jpg

threescompany33.jpg

I liked Don as Mr. Furley too but I don't watch reruns much of *Three's Company* anymore. Loved it when I was a kid though. It's funny b/c my family is split on *The Andy Griffith Show*. Some will watch every season and then some of us only watch the "Barney" seasons.

71116-xl.jpg

I bet Barn's talking to Juanita over at the Bluebird Diner.

knottsphone.jpg

I don't know who put the caption with this one but it's too funny!

griffith1.jpg

*If only someone could bring back Clara's style today. Now where can we find such a chick?*

"I don't know but I'll look into." Angie says as she puts on her Clara Bow hat over her curly red Clara Bow hair and heads out the door - ha!

*All I know is that I'm THRILLED you are talking about Clara Bow. Anything to stop you from* *incessantly talking about Coop's chest hair is to be thanked. Thank you, Clara Bow!*

Ummmm, chest hair. Thanks for reminding me!

FirstKiss1928.jpg

I think Fay is mesmerized by it as well :x.

*I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts on Clara Bow. I like the passion and compassion* *within your words. I always respond to such heartfelt writing. It was also educational for me.*

We've been talking about her a lot this week at the 'Clara Bow videos' thread in the silent forum too. When I watched *Hoop-la!* her last film, I got teary eyed at the end knowing it was her last one. The movie ends with the camera zooming in on her and she's smiling really big and looks very happy. I thought it was a cool way to end her career but I wish she had done more.

It's funny that I feel such a strong connection to her b/c we're so different. My parents divorce when I was 12/13 is really the only bad thing I had to go through when I was growing up and it wasn't as bad as most. I've really been pretty spoiled (but in a good way ;) ) my whole life. I think part of it is she reminds me a little of one of my best friends, Lisa. We've been friends since 7th grade but became best friends in high school. We're very different in that she's real outgoing, outspoken, loud (she could whisper and you could still hear it across a crowded room - ha!), and never had a problem attracting men (she kinda has a Liz Taylor thing working). People would ask us why we were friends and we'd just laugh and say b/c we just were (and still are).