Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alice55

Wonderful John Ford Documentary

I found the documentary on John Ford really interesting and moving. It's was so great to hear some of my favourite actors, such as John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Katharine Hepburn talk about him, and all his quirks. Also great to see scenes from some of my favourite films. Wouldn't it have made more sense, and been more satisfying, to have followed this wonderful documentary with a day of John Ford's films?

Actually I think they spent a whole month showing a bunch of Ford movies back when the documentary was new.

When you think about it, it's almost a shame this documentary couldn't be released in theaters today. If they could at least release it on DVD it would hopefully reach a wider audience, especially in countries where it was never shown on television.

I got home at about the half-way point and clearly could not have withstood the entire thing. I have missed it at any other TCM showing, although I think I saw a different version of it on PBS some years ago (?).

Within minutes, Ford and his work, and workers, had me crying large hot tears. How Green was My Valley is difficult enough to read--to see it acted out is too much for me. Well, with the wrenching parts in isolation, I mean.

My grandson had been visiting and just left yesterday (3 years old), and seeing Donald Crisp working with Roddy McDowell, and ultimately dying with his son in his arms, just breaks me down. My own father died when I was about McDowell's age.

Of course, when seen in the context of the entire movie it's a different story.

But to see that within minutes of seeing Lincoln brought to life (Henry Fonda) and also killed (The Prisoner of Sahrk Island--which I have never seen) is a bit much.

Question: Did anyone understand what word Ford said when he and Hepburn were caught on audio tape--not realizing it was still operating--after he said he loved her and she said "It's mutual"? He then said something like "Does it really matter?" but I couldn't make out what he actually said.

The greatest of all directors! What's amazing is that I think of STAGECOACH, THE QUIET MAN and FORT APACHE. And these are not even my favorites! There are a couple I like even better.

RR

He made so many films, that I can look forward to seeing new ones in the future.

Among my favorite movies altogether are Steamboat Round the Bend and Judge Priest, but I've never seen the third in Ford's Will Rogers Americana trilogy, In Old Kentucky.

Someday--

Ah, Film Fatale, you are right. My error. I still want to see it--very late Will Rogers.

As for "unseen Ford," I'll advance The Plough and the Stars to paramount status. I saw The Informer in the last year or so and was impressed, had imagined I would be bored but the sheer storytelling of Ford captured me.

EDITED IN: Clearly my brain was searching for Dr. Bull, as you mention and link to. That's got to be the third Ford/Rogers film I was sure I hadn't seen, but without your correction I would have been on the alert for the wrong thing. Thanks.

I just wanted to add that for any who are interested, there was an excellent documentary on Ford produced by PBS as part of their "American Masters" series, which dealt specifically with his collaboration with John Wayne. It is available on dvd as part of the Stagecoach two-disc set (which in turn is included in the John Ford/John Wayne Box Set). It's almost as superb as *Directed by John Ford* .

MissGoddess - " The American Masters " is a wonderful documentary. Schickel is terrible, on

" The Mark of Zorro " DVD he makes many mistakes, and on a recent panel on C - SPAN2 concerning the blacklist Schickel was bored out of his mind and showed his contempt for the other panel members.