Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Fonda

I thought this will offer a better way to rate Jane Fonda films plus show CineSage jr the thread flaw..

On a Scale of 1 to 10 , Rate Jane Fonda, NO other comments please.

I rate her a 4

Guys, this was a 1 to 10 rating system without comments. I see now that you are NOT SERIOUS about running a clean forum. This was a test of that in which it has seem to FAIL.

If you can't take running a clean forum seriouly then don't bother trying. Fred I don't know what in the world I have done to offend you so. My very early questions were only that questions. I am not complaining about ANYTHING. Maybe we start off on the wrong foot. You should know in the past week my comments has NEVER been directed at the Fonda thread. If you take a closer look at one of my replies that starts off "Guys enough already -- " You will see the replies after that were very civil with an exception of a couple of members.

You should also have notice my others replies and threads were movie subject only and I used the TCM... We need an ignore.... for other general questions.

Fred I am WILLING to put this bad feelings you seem to have toward me aside and start from scratch. If you are willing to do so, in other words let bygonds be bygonds I am willing to try.

I now know the forum a little better. So how about it? I am trying to be as respectable to you as I can, most members wouldn't even try.

Fred all I ask from you is a little fairness. The 1-10 rating won't reflect peoples rude comments to Jane. The imdb.com uses a similiar way to rate stars by using a star bargraph. Could you at lease encourage other members just give this a shot. You can use this idea on the other thread if you so desire and do it your way.

Please give me a chance, I know you are of good charactor. It is hard to gauge people feelings through a computer screen.

• 1 month later...

If you need to talk about Jane Fonda's politics, then do so on a political message board. This is a message board about classic films.

I am neither defending nor deriding Jane's politics by saying this. I will, however, remind you of what she said when she won the Oscar for "Klute" --- "Thank you. And thanks to those of you who applauded. There's a lot I could say tonight. But this isn't the time or the place. So I'll just say thank you."

One of the best parts of the TCM boards is learning other classic film fans' perspectives on the movies we love. We don't need to talk about their politics any more than we need to discuss the ways they treated their children. Note that the Joan Crawford posts on these boards rarely reference "Mommie Dearest."

When I come on the TCM boards and discuss my take on movies starring/directed by Ginger Rogers, Fredric March, John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, or Elia Kazan (the most far-right-wingers that come to mind) --- OR Barbra Streisand, John Garfield, Shirley MacLaine, Warren Beatty, Katharine Hepburn, or even, gasp, Jane Fonda (the biggest lefties that strike me off the bat) --- I come on to talk about their work. NOT their politics.

Ginger Rogers: brilliant in "Kitty Foyle," I think even better in "Roxie Hart." I actually can't think of a movie in which Ginger Rogers isn't good. Barbra Streisand: terrific in "Funny Girl," even better in "What's Up, Doc?" But Babs has her less than good films; "On a Clear Day" is a snoozer, even if it was directed by one of the greatest directors in history. Jane Fonda: honestly, "Klute" doesn't do it for me, but I love her in "Julia," and think that in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" she gives one of the best performances in film history.

Talk about movies here. Talk about politics elsewhere, please.

When I come on the TCM boards and discuss my take on movies starring/directed by Ginger Rogers, Fredric March, John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, or Elia Kazan (the most far-right-wingers that come to mind) --- OR Barbra Streisand, John Garfield, Shirley MacLaine, Warren Beatty, Katharine Hepburn, or even, gasp, Jane Fonda (the biggest lefties that strike me off the bat) --- I come on to talk about their work. NOT their politics.

Ronald Reagan was a committed Roosevelt New Dealer during his acting career's heyday.

For all his unforgivable duplicity in naming names to HUAC, Elia Kazan never abandoned his liberal political outlook.

Frederic March was one of Hollywood's leading liberals.

So much for your grasp of the political dynamics of the film industry and its leading members during the 1930s-'60s.

Major right wingers were Louis B. Mayer, Mary Pickford, John Wayne, Irene Dunne, Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart. They were conservative in their politics (although not in the sense of modern conservatism), which primarily meant avid anti-Communism.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I'm sick to death of Jane Fonda bashing. It's old and tired. On the other hand, I can't agree with Chip -- discussing a star means discussing both their work and their life, and for some of them their politics was important.

Guest...The very fact that the name Jane Fonda still provokes arguments for and against her politics....even when you are trying to do an objective rating system...seems to me that her past actions ARE STILL PROBLEMATIC. Yes, it would be nice if we could all put politics aside and just have a great discussion of her art. However...once upon a time in the 60's she and her

French husband decided to mix the two. So here's some MOVIE ONLY questions for you.

I would like a critique of the FILM she made with her DIRECTOR husband as she smiled down the rivers in North Vietnam. What methods was she using when she greated the poor helpless children of Hanoi? Was she holding back or did she have time to prepare? Did the camera angles help *what's his name* capture the horrors of what our presence on Asia was doing to them. Hows the lighting for you? What about the music? Should it have been the Vietnamese Anthem or our Anthem....you know...just for irony. Did she learn the language or immerse herself in the culture so her performance could be authentic? Surely she must have loved North Vietnam in order to make the US aware of our blindess. I cannot imagine where she learned so much international diplomacy....considering she was kicked out of Vassar ( she was a classmate of my Aunt's who went on to be a Doctor and gives so much to this world.) Do you know how long she spent there....loving and caring for the country? How much film was used. Did her husband yell"cut" or did he just let her artisic soul take over?

So Guest...I know atleast one film of hers that is steeped in politics and therefore the politics cannot be dismembered from the art. My rating...less then zero and moving downward to hell.

*Cannot remember cinematographer's name. Also did "One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" until he was fired by GASP Michael Douglas. Son did a documentary on him. Shows on IFC.

Obviously the very mention of Jane Fonda brings back very difficult, and very bad, life experiences from some of us on the TCM boards.

While I stand by my take on her artistic achievements, I didn't mean to stir up a discussion that is unpleasant for anyone, and since I didn't have the experiences some of you had, I will (in a nice way, I hope) withdraw from this discussion.

I just don't want to see another TCM board turn so contentious.

I hope we all talk together on other topics. We obviously all like classic films.

I apologize for the message I contributed yesterday. It was from the heart and I believe and stand by my statements. However, from now on if there is a discussion about a subject that I cannot share any thoughts from an objective standpoint....I will simply respond to a different topic.

Since I am new on the message board scene...I would much rather absorb my fellow classic movie enthusiasts' knowledge than spew personal business.

Our Netflix of Monster in law came in and I saw Jane Fonda and Wanda Sykes steal the movie from J-Lo. I realized when this came in that we have been on a Jane Fonda Kick with our Netflix so far we have seen Klute and Coming Home and when I discovered she was in the original Dick and Jane I ordered it. Jane did a wonderful role and I thought she was so willing to play her role and proud of what she wore and how she appeared. Oh how can I put this I don't want to sound mean or be misunderstood she was sleeveless and at time make-upless and she looked like she should for a woman in her 60s. Lord older actresses usually cover it all up and this is what I am trying to say I admired this performance in Jane. She looked lovely she looked her age. I rate her an 8. I have to say my affection for Henry shines on Jane and that voice no one else sounds like Jane. I have yet to see any thing with Peter Fonda in it. I have to tell you all what my son said when we sat to watch Monster in Law he said "her husband was in On Golden Pond, Henry" I got tickled and corrected him. Oh yes we watched On Golden Pond not to long ago which is further the Fonda kick we are on...

Major right wingers were Louis B. Mayer, Mary Pickford, John Wayne, Irene Dunne, Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart. They were conservative in their politics (although not in the sense of modern conservatism), which primarily meant avid anti-Communism.

Mayer was a rabid right-winger (even breaking off all contact with his friend and patron, William Randolph Hearst, when the latter declared his intention to support Franklin Roosevelt in the 1932 presidential election. The break resulted in Hearst's moving his Cosmopolitan Productions from MGM to Warner Bros., including physically transporting Marion Davies's luxurious studio bungalow from the Metro lot in Culver City, to Warner's in Burbank).

Dunne, Cooper and, to a lesser extent, Stewart, were far less rabid than Mayer, Wayne, Adolphe Menjou or Ward Bond. Cooper, in particular, never seemed to begrudge anyone his or her politics, and made only bland, non-committal statatments when he was asked to testify before HUAC as a "friendly witness."