Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Flafilmlover

Disappointment in TCM

Am I the only TCM lover who has been disappointed by the films that have been shown lately? I've noticed that a lot of films from the 1960's and 70's have been shown, and I realize that at some point, newer films have to be added to the rotation. I take issue, however, with the particular films that have been shown. I thought the C in TCM stood for Classic, but I guess I must be mistaken. I'm worried about the direction in which the channel is headed, and I just wondered if I am alone.

Don't worry you are not alone. The word "Classic" is a point of view. People living in the 1960's will think that certain films made in the 1940's or earlier are classics but the newest generation born after 1985 will think that certain films made in the 1970's or earlier are classics.

There is a thread called "Classic Movies vs Modern Movies- why we perfer Older movies"

It might give you some insight. ALL the channels such as TCM, AMC, Discovery, CNN, etc. are evolving into something we don't recognize from 15+ years ago. I remember when AMC used to show the "classic" style of movies you are referring to, unedited and WITHOUT commercial interuption back in the 1980's and 90's. It does look like the quality of the programming has gone down hill.

There are 100+ years amount of movies to show with limited channel resourses. There are a LOT of movies that have not seen the light of day since they appeared in theatres.

I hope this gives you some insight. Welcome to the boards., abrownfan

How lately is "lately"? I've been watching TCM for about 3 years now and can't say I've seen a troubling amount of recent films (say, 1965 and more recent) in what I might consider lately. There are 24 hours in a day, after all.

On the other hand, they continually bring out stuff that I've not seen before from the silent days up to 1965, and which perhaps they have not shown or only shown some time ago.

But I could gladly depend on other services for the later stuff if they'd stick to pre-1960 (but I'd like them to feel free to show To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Incident, and so on).

Do you have some data? Are all their old schedules available?

Classic does not mean old. It just means the finest example of something. So, even a poorly made horror film from the 70s, can be consider a classic, if it is the finest example of a poorly made horror film from the 70s. I've been watching TCM, for as long as it's been on the air, and I'm happy they show a variety of diverse films, from every decade. My only quibble is when they show a film that is shown many times on other channels, as well. A film like Tootsie, for example.

"Are all their old schedules available?" - kcor

Hopefully these are illuminating and useful.

From Jan / Feb / Mar 1998 -

- http://web.archive.org/web/19980131222354/tcm.turner.com/CAL_TXT/9803/03/9803ET.htm

- http://web.archive.org/web/19980131221548/tcm.turner.com/CAL_TXT/9802/03/9802ET.htm

- http://web.archive.org/web/19980131213923/tcm.turner.com/CAL_TXT/9801/03/9801ET.htm

I hear there are others around too but I haven't a quick link to any of them.

Kyle In Hollywood

johnm:

At least when TCM does show the TOOTSIE's , etc, they show them the way they SHOULD be: uninterrupted....unedited....LB if possible...

Message was edited by: exapno

Message was edited by: exapno

Well, one thing that's clear from these old schedules is that for those of us who love films from the early '30s, the squeeze is definitely on now. I looked at the February '98 schedule, and in that month alone TCM showed 65 movies made between 1929-1934. In October '07, there will be 22 movies shown from those years. In fact, for the three months from Sept-Nov '07 the total films for the early '30s is 62, still less than that one month in '98. Additionally, the selections today tend to be much more famous and frequently already on DVD than some of the lesser gems shown a decade ago, which could truly ONLY be found on TCM. I'm not usually one to whine and moan about the state of TCM today, it's still great, but it does sadden me to realize that my access to so many of these films that I'd love to see is minimal at best.

Well, one thing that's clear from these old schedules is that for those of us who love films from the early '30s, the squeeze is definitely on now. I looked at the February '98 schedule, and in that month alone TCM showed 65 movies made between 1929-1934. In October '07, there will be 22 movies shown from those years. In fact, for the three months from Sept-Nov '07 the total films for the early '30s is 62, still less than that one month in '98. Additionally, the selections today tend to be much more famous and frequently already on DVD than some of the lesser gems shown a decade ago, which could truly ONLY be found on TCM. I'm not usually one to whine and moan about the state of TCM today, it's still great, but it does sadden me to realize that my access to so many of these films that I'd love to see is minimal at best.

I think what is causing the duplication on replies is that we are pressing the several time when waiting for this VERY SLOW system to respond. I had that happen to me and I learned to keep 2 seperate TCM windows open to check to see if my first got into the thread.

Even editing is a very slow and tedious process. People are going to leave just for this stupid problem.

My apologies for the multiples replies. Each time I hit "post message" the page would clock for a while and then crash, so I assumed the post wasn't actually going through.

Flafilmlover, welcome to the boards and, no, you're not crazy... TCM has definitely made a (down)shift in recent years to more recent and badly made films... Many of us have weeped, wailed, and gnashed our teeth over this, while many others insist the sky is NOT falling... And so the debate will continue... Just know you're not alone in your perception and learn to love Tivo/VCR...

Suggest-a-Movie is also a good outlet for your frustrations; heck, they even played one of mine!!!

Right, you're not crazy. I've only had TCM since 2001, and it's obvious to me that there are fewer and fewer films on the schedule from 1929-1935-6. I'm on a bit of a mini-crusade about it, so join me, my friends! :) TCM Programmer insists it's not intentional to reduce amount of early 30's films, but we'll see. I'm dying to see what lay in store for us in December's schedule.

Having said that, I'll represent where I can (I would be posting more but the durn posting issues are making it frustrating, I see that those are being addressed and hopefully will be fixed soon). I gotta give some props for LUCKY DEVILS (1933) which aired yesterday (a 30's film I'd not seen before too, woohooo!!!!!), and though it's aired 500 million times, I will give props for airing any early 30's film, including FLYING DOWN TO RIO, it's hip and chic and all that, not one of my faves, but hey, it's from 1933, so it's ALL good! :) Oh and I gave some props in a previous post for the *great* THE KID FROM SPAIN, that totally rocked!

I guess the idea is that we early 30's fans will be getting crumbs (or so it seems), but I guess we should be durn lucky to get those crumbs, cuz they ain't fallin' from any other table but TCM's. I'm still gonna prod and provoke TCM and my good bud Kyle for more 30's films and some theme months that take us more back into the vault for those cool early sound and pre-code and mid-30's flicks! I'm down with that!

"I'm still gonna prod and provoke (snip) my good bud Kyle ..." - markbeckuaf

"Moo!"

Kyle (in the corral) in Hollywood

"I'm still gonna prod and provoke (snip) my good bud Kyle ..." - markbeckuaf

"Moo!"

Kyle (in the corral) in Hollywood

Glad ya took it in the spirit it was intended! :) Take it ez, bud, and keep on keepin' on!

Thanks for the links.

I did not do a lengthy appraisal of the schedules you linked, but rather looked at one week's worth of programming.

Then I imagined what I would actually watch. Two movies in full per weekday tops, maybe double that on weekends.

I would have seen just as much stuff in 1998 as I would in 2007. Some of it stuff I've seen a lot, some of it stuff I had never seen. All of it stuff I want to see.

Only two bases for concern or complaint I think are:

1) If you you do nothing but watch TCM 24 hours a day, you will now see more recent stuff, and might thus be disappointed more.

2) If there is some category you want specifically (stuff not now on DVD, stuff from a particular studio or a particular body of films that get bought/sold/licensed as a group) and TCM isn't programming them nowadays you might be disappointed more.

So, I'm not yet disappointed.