• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Noir Gallery

>>>Tell the truth: Which is it -- Broderick Crawford or Edgar Buchanan?<<<

How can you ask? This broad loves Brod!

I've never even heard of *The Long Night* though I've had a few. Is TCM playing it for this month's spotlight on Fonda?

Have you noticed he has the same exact expression in almost every scene?

I've never even heard of The Long Night though I've had a few. Is TCM playing it for this month's spotlight on Fonda?

Sadly it's not on the schedule, but it is an RKO film so TCM should be able to get it on the schedule at some point.

Here you go, ChicagOwen.

The ultra-sexy Gun Crazy

guncrazy1.jpg

guncrazy2.jpg

guncrazy3.jpg

guncrazy4.jpg

guncrazy5.jpg

guncrazy6.jpg

You may need to watch a few Everybody Loves Raymond eps after watching Gun Crazy.

Miss Gun For Hire -- Have you noticed he has the same exact expression in almost every scene?

That's partially due to me choosing certain freezes. But it's also because Fonda spends most of the film contemplating his recent past and his current fate. The Long Night is a flashback noir. It's also a remake of the French film, Le Jour se l?ve, which I've never seen. I'd say The Long Night is an average film, but it does have a nice look to it.

Speaking of flashbacks, here you go:

John Garfield in Force of Evil

forceofevil1.jpg

forceofevil2.jpg

forceofevil3.jpg

Miss Goddess' IDEAL female role model.

forceofevil9.jpg

forceofevil4.jpg

forceofevil5.jpg

forceofevil6.jpg

forceofevil7.jpg

forceofevil8.jpg

I'll post some Richard Basehart tomorrow.

This board is acting up again, so this may turn out to be a duplicate.

Mr Grimes: Smashing pictures from one of my favorites, Force of Evil.

>>>Miss Goddess' IDEAL female role model.<<<

Hmmm...am I being misquoted again or is this your idea? Actually, I love the scenes between Garfield and Beatrice Pearson and they do resonate personally. My ex-boyfriend was alot like "Joe".

Arky! Interesting movie posters! Brainstorm has long been on my must-watch list, as has The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (for this George Sanders "completist"). If you can find a poster for *Death of a Scoundrel* I'd be thrilled.

[FrankG] -- *The ultra-sexy Gun Crazy*

Poor John Dall. When Peggy Cummins smiles, points a gun right in his face, and fires a blank, he shoulda known he was doomed, doomed, doomed. But aren't we all.

"It's just that some guys are born smart about women and some guys are born dumb....You were born dumb."

Hey, Arkadin -- You ever get around to seing Force of Evil Frank?

Yes. I actually watched it when I first got the DVD in, I think, July. I had to watch it twice because it was pretty thick for me. It moves at a quick pace for such a heavy film. I do like it but I don't love it. I can easily see why Martin Scorsese loves the film, though.

My favorite part of the film is the ending. It's extremely powerful. I also like the message of the film.

Keep those noir posters a rollin'.

My Main Man, ChiO -- Poor John Dall. When Peggy Cummins smiles, points a gun right in his face, and fires a blank, he shoulda known he was doomed, doomed, doomed. But aren't we all.

"It's just that some guys are born smart about women and some guys are born dumb....You were born dumb."

You said it. Gun Crazy is about as fatalistic a noir as you'll find. It's also one of the most sexually-charged noirs. Every time I watch the film, I walk away liking it all the more. It's a noir that continues to climb my list. I just love Peggy Cummins' "Annie Laurie Starr." I'm afraid to find out where that puts me on the intelligence scale, though. I guess if it were film, I'd be pretty damn dumb.

Miss Gun For Hire -- Miss Goddess' IDEAL female role model.

Hmmm...am I being misquoted again or is this your idea?

What do you think? Of course I'm messin' with you. You have stated a couple times on this board that you're not Beatrice Pearson in Force of Evil. In fact, you kept saying Cathy O'Donnell, not Pearson.

Actually, I love the scenes between Garfield and Beatrice Pearson and they do resonate personally. My ex-boyfriend was alot like "Joe".

That's why I called the photos a "flashback." It's also why I said I'd post some Richard Basehart.

(for this George Sanders "completist")

Let's see, you like lists and you've got a completist thing going on sometimes, too. I gotta take a deep breath.

Richard Basehart and two diametrically-opposed gals in Tension

tension1-1.jpg

"You're cute" is what Audrey Totter says to Basehart before they kiss (and...) in this scene. It's one of my favorite moments in the film.

tension2-1.jpg

tension3.jpg

tension4.jpg

tension5.jpg

tension6.jpg

tension7.jpg

tension8.jpg

tension9.jpg

tension10.jpg

tension11.jpg

tension12.jpg

Touche, Frank, Beatrice it is. It worked for Dante.

I will be watching Tension this weekend---I sure like how Richard Baseheart "improves" in those later screencaptures. Did a woman bring about this wonderful transformation?

Frank, I LOVE LOVE LOVE those Richard Basehart photos.

I've always had a yen for him.

Rod Taylor -- who he? Sorry, Rod.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Welcome home, Bronxie. Glad to see you back. I didn't know you liked Basehart. That's nice to know. He's not necessarily one of my favorites but I almost always like his performances. He's definitely underrated.

I've got a couple more Basehart films, so I'll post some caps from them. I still have to get He Walked by Night on DVD. Not good.

Hi, Arkadin -- Ohh, you hit some very high notes with me. Two Gene Tierneys AND Gloria Grahame?! Now that's a deadly concoction for me. Poisonous, if you will. Gene is my all everything in the actress world and Gloria represents ummm, uhh, that, you know. Yeah, that.

I have The Big Combo on DVD and I taped Nora Prentiss, but they are two noir worlds I've yet to explore. As you know, I'm very intrigued by Ann Sheridan.

All these posters of yours is pushing me towards buying Eddie Muller's book. You're a force of evil! Eddie doesn't think so, though.

Miss Gun For Hire -- Touche, Frank, Beatrice it is. It worked for Dante.

From wiki:

The manner in which Dante chose to express his love for Beatrice often agreed with the Middle Ages concept of courtly love. Courtly love was a secret, unrequited and highly respectful form of admiration for another person.

Yet it is still not entirely clear what caused Dante to fall in love with Beatrice. Seeing as how he knew very little of the real Beatrice, and that he had no great insight to her character, it is perhaps unusual that he fell in love with her. But he did, and there are clues in his works as to why he did:

"She has ineffable courtesy, is my beautitude, the destroyer of all vices and the queen of virtue, salvation."

Dante saw Beatrice as a saviour, one who removed all evil intentions from him. It is perhaps this idea of her being a force for good that he fell in love with, a force which he believed made him a better person. This is certainly viable, since he does not seem concerned with her appearance - at least not in his writings. He only once describes her complexion, and her "emerald" eyes. Although Beatrice was most likely a very beautiful lady, her beauty is ultimately not what Dante was attracted to when he met her.

He wrote of her, following her death:

? The love between them was wholly spiritual; after her death Dante realized she was more alive than ever. ?

A version of Dante's "Beatrice" is very often presented in noirs, like Force of Evil. Femme fatales will always attract my interest first, but I actually like the "Beatrices," too. A mixture of each is divine. Sweet and dirty.

I will be watching Tension this weekend---I sure like how Richard Baseheart "improves" in those later screencaptures. Did a woman bring about this wonderful transformation?

Ohh, you happy-endin', hopeless romantic, you. Do you think I'd tell you this before you watched the film? I think you're gonna appreciate Audrey Totter. Call up your femme fatale friend, cuz she'll probably like her, too. The "dream house" scene is too funny. I'm guessing Basehart ain't you're type of guy in this flick, but I know you like him as an actor.