Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here are some images of Dana Andrews and stills from his movies...

Best Years of Our Lives

Boomerang!

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Dana

Dana

Dana

Dana

Dana

Dana

Fritz Lang's Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (?)

DANA-FritzLang

DANA

LAURA

LAURA

A deleted scene from LAURA

Photobucket

> Dana

This portrait has a halo around his head.... I just love that effect. Don't you wish they still did the kind of hand processing where they would circle their fist over the face to create that effect?

> LAURA

Gene Tierney is the most perfectly beautiful creature ever created.

> Photobucket

The missing BASEBALL scene? ? ?

I love Dana Andrews and think he was terribly underrated. I can't help thinking his looks are enhanced in the movies (rather than in photos) by the thoughts that are constantly flickering across his very expressive eyes.

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Hi MissFavell!

>

> This portrait has a halo around his head.... I just love that effect. Don't you wish they still did the kind of hand processing where they would circle their fist over the face to create that effect?

>

I didn't know that's how they did that...in fact, I didn't even notice the "halo effect" until

you pointed it out!

The studio photographers back then were artists. I worked with a photographer who

used to apprentice to Mark Viera, who learned from either Hurrell or Clarence Sinclair Bull

how to make portraits and touch them up by hand like they did. The pix she took of me

using the old camera with the HUGE negative were the best I ever had done. The whole

process that came after the picture was taken was fascinating.

>

> Gene Tierney is the most perfectly beautiful creature ever created.

>

I can't argue with that. I just posted tons of images I found of her in her thread

in "Favorites".

>

> The missing BASEBALL scene? ? ?

>

I laughed when I found that still---were they trying for comedy? Thank goodness

it was deleted.

> I love Dana Andrews and think he was terribly underrated. I can't help thinking his looks are enhanced in the movies (rather than in photos) by the thoughts that are constantly flickering across his very expressive eyes.

>

I totally agree, together with his voice he was not only attractive but a terribly compelling and

sensitive actor.

>I totally agree, together with his voice he was not only attractive but a terribly compelling and sensitive actor.

Andrews has risen quite high in my estimation over the last few years, and now I think how badly they could have botched both Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives by casting someone else in those roles.... He brings sooo much depth and loneliness to those two characters.

In Ox Bow, the thing I like about him is that he was able to show fear and desperation - no put on, no manly bravado, but real true fear. You can feel the sweat, then the righteous anger, the resignation.... it's all there, and I don't think many of the young actors of that time could have been as unafraid of showing emotion and especially fear and weakness as he was.

Obviously, I'm am not so familiar with the noirs.... but maybe this is a way for me to get into them... like Molo, in some situations, I am more actor oriented than director oriented....

Agree about Ox-Bow..he really gives you the reality of a man who almost has no TIME to

react to all that is rushing upon him, poor thing.

I recommend Where the Sidewalk Ends. You'll have the familiarity of the same

director and leading lady as Laura, but with an even more complex character

and larger role for Dana. I also love him Daisy Kenyon, but that is a TOTALLY

different kind of role, very galvanized...not inward as the others.

Thats right! I forgot Daisy Kenyon! That's a good one, never knowing who she will end up with....I like him in it, he is quite convincing and never a stereotype of the adulterous married man...

I haven't seen Where the Sidewalk ends. The other ones I have seen are Ball of Fire and State Fair, in both of which he is only attractive and dangerous, not much room for characterization.......

My favorite *Dana Andrews* performances:

1. *Laura*

2. *Daisy Kenyon*

3. *Where the Sidewalk Ends*

4. *The Fearmakers*

5. *The Best Years of Our Lives*

6. *Elephant Walk*

7. *Beyond a Reasonable Doubt*

8. *Edge of Doom*

9. *Canyon Passage*

10. *Fallen Angel*

Wow! I had no idea Daisy was so high on your list...

Elephant Walk is another one I forgot.

I don't think I can pick between Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives.... he's so great in both, but they are so different. Mark is more traditional hero, but with some nice sexy dark shadows creasing his heroism....

Fred Derry is such a wounded guy.... I think he might edge out poor Mark, just for sheer complexity, and because I feel like his role touches on some way serious darkness. There is something scary about Fred. He is going to be hell to live with....

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Look at Miss G dissing Fallen Angel. That's the Dana film to watch. And don't tell

> Bronxie, but, I slipped her the parchment.

I'm sorry, I just don't like him that much in *Fallen Angel* (I LOVE Linda Darnell's performance,

though). It's the character I don't like and it colors my perception too much. I like

my Dana somewhat "good".

And as to the other, I can't watch movies like that, they give me nightmares!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Wow! I had no idea Daisy was so high on your list...

>

My "ex", remember....he was just like "hunny bunch".

> Elephant Walk is another one I forgot.

>

I'm always torn whether Elizabeth should be with Peter or Dana! I'd probably

go with Dana, but then the next time I watch it I say "Peter"....

> I don't think I can pick between Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives.... he's so great in both, but they are so different. Mark is more traditional hero, but with some nice sexy dark shadows creasing his heroism....

>

> Fred Derry is such a wounded guy.... I think he might edge out poor Mark, just for sheer complexity, and because I feel like his role touches on some way serious darkness. There is something scary about Fred. He is going to be hell to live with....

I think TBYOL is the better performance and richer character, but I still

prefer Mark MacPherson. I like detectives, I have a weakness for them...

I'm sorry, I just don't like him that much in Fallen Angel (I LOVE Linda Darnell's

performance, though). It's the character I don't like and it colors my perception too

much. I like my Dana somewhat "good".

Girls like good guys? When? :P Jackie doesn't. Where the Sidewalk Ends is

the right suggestion, though.

One of the added benefits of the Fallen Angel DVD is hearing Eddie Muller and Susan

Andrews, Dana's daughter, talk about Dana. It's one of my very favorite commentaries.

And as to the other, I can't watch movies like that, they give me nightmares!

I have a feeling Jackie may find that one to be silly. :)

> The list making always draws him out of his lair....

Jackie, Frank---can you two list your favorite Dana Andrews by preference? And

anyone else who would like to share theirs...

By the way, I haven't seen While the City Sleeps in a while, so I didn't

rate it. State Fair, Belle Starr, The Ox-Bow Incident and Tobacco Road

weren't included because I just focused on the movies he really seemed to leap

out at me and had more screen time.

>

> Girls like good guys? When? :P Jackie doesn't. Where the Sidewalk Ends is

> the right suggestion, though.

>

> One of the added benefits of the Fallen Angel DVD is hearing Eddie Muller and Susan

> Andrews, Dana's daughter, talk about Dana. It's one of my very favorite commentaries.

>

I have the feeling this movie may rise in my estimation. I've only seen it twice. I don't remember if I listened to the commentary or not...probably not.

> And as to the other, I can't watch movies like that, they give me nightmares!

>

> I have a feeling Jackie may find that one to be silly. :)

Oh, I don't know about that. I thought it was downright scary.

Jackie: a hint...something scares Dana, something about the NIGHT....

Easy. Since I have not seen too many of them -

1. *The Best Years of Our Lives* - Fred Derry - everything is here, his whole life is shown to you, he's left naked ( NO not that way) and vulnerable. A beautiful KEY performance in a film filled with great performances.

2. *Laura* - Mark MacPherson - well, really. I don't think I have to say that Mark is obsessed, and I can certainly relate to THAT. Sexy, oddly vulnerable and a hero. What more could a woman want?

3. *Ox- Bow Incident* - Donald Martin - I already said it below. Dana plays a real man, a whole person, who is decent and honorable, and you really don't have much time to find that out about him. It's all Dana's work at fleshing out the character that makes you see who he was, and that he is not guilty.

4. *Daisy Kenyon* - Dan O'Mara - Normally, this is the type of character I would not like, even if the movie made him totally sympathetic. I like him anyway. Dana is torn between his obligations and his love for Daisy...but he doesn't play him completely sympathetic... it's a fascinating performance.

5. *State Fair* - Pat Gilbert - Dana is the mysterious stranger with a past.... nuff said. (Jeanne Crain is the other most beautiful creation and is at her peak in this movie)

6.*Ball of Fire* - Joe Lilac - Sleazy and evil. So why do I still like him? I love this movie - if the list were not about Dana performances, this would show up much higher on my list.

7.. *Assignment:Paris* - Jimmy Race - this one could move up on my list with another viewing, I haven't seen it for a while and was not paying much attention at the time..I was more interested in Sanders.

8. *Elephant Walk* - Dick Carver

Great! You descriptions make me want to see State Fair again. What country

(or city) girl wouldn't fall for Dana in that one...

Oh yes...Assignment Paris was another I was trying to recall. That was pretty good.

The Iron Curtain should have been on my list. It's a bit dull, though.

Loved the Dana write-ups by Jackie! I'm too lazy to do that. :P

Favorite Films With Dana Andrews

1. Fallen Angel (1945)

2. Laura (1944)

3. Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

4. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

5. Night of the Demon (1957)

6. While the City Sleeps (1956)

7. Edge of Doom (1950)

8. Ball of Fire (1941)

9. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)

Favorite Dana Andrews Performances

1. Fallen Angel (1945)

2. Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

3. Laura (1944)

4. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

5. While the City Sleeps (1956)

6. Edge of Doom (1950)

7. Night of the Demon (1957)

8. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)

9. Ball of Fire (1941)

Favorite Dana Andrews Characters

1. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) .... Donald Martin

2. Laura (1944) .... Det. Lt. Mark McPherson

3. Fallen Angel (1945) .... Eric Stanton

4. Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) .... Det. Sgt. Mark Dixon (16th Precinct)

5. Ball of Fire (1941) .... Joe Lilac

6. Night of the Demon (1957) .... Dr. John Holden

7. While the City Sleeps (1956) .... Edward Mobley

8. Edge of Doom (1950) .... Father Thomas Roth

9. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956) .... Tom Garrett

Assignment Paris is one of those where Dana is just Dana, and that's OK. I think he is a little paranoid in it.... with good reason. But I just don't remember it that well. Same with Elephant Walk... what I remember is how scary Peter Finch is... no knock against Dana's acting, Finch is such a psycho - I probably would have run off with Dana immediately...

So tell me how you really feel about Fallen Angel.... not one of your favorites, huh?

:D I think you'd like the Dana in Fallen Angel. He's shady.

I really like the film, although it's better in the first half more so than the second. I have

written quite a bit about the film in this forum.

> Assignment Paris is one of those where Dana is just Dana, and that's OK. I think he is a little paranoid in it.... with good reason. But I just don't remember it that well. Same with Elephant Walk... what I remember is how scary Peter Finch is... no knock against Dana's acting, Finch is such a psycho - I probably would have run off with Dana immediately...

I thought the same about Finch at first, and then I watched it again about a year

ago with a friend and she and I both came to be more sympathetic toward him. He

weakly allowed that ambience, the customs and most of all the dreaded influence

of his father's legacy to overshadow who he was as a man---someone very different,

as we saw in Paris. When the real tragedy struck, he---not Dana---was the man

who stayed to help the poor people who worked for him and he did so even when

it put him in danger. Dana wanted to get the heck out and go to Paris and shop

and dine with Elizabeth (who can blame him??) and that kind of made him seem

a little selfish.

I love looking at the long shots that were filmed in Ceylon with Vivien Leigh. You can

tell it's her! At least I think so.

So you didn't even think much of Dana's performance in Lang's Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?

I will be interested to see where The Best Years of Our Lives lands on your lists

after you've seen it.