Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks for Voting in the TCM "Back to Basics" Programming Challenge!

sugarpuss

Wow, I can't believe how long it has taken me to get in to post this. Lynn, I know how you feel. Name the person and get out before it messes up again.

Okay, while so many schedules were terrific, after examining them all several times, I chose Fedya. There are movies on here I definitely would look forward to seeing (a major thing for me), but most importantly anyone who would do a birthday tribute to Una O'Connor gets my vote.

I'm wondering if the cutoff date for voting should be extended. Many people aren't willing to try to get through this mess to get in a vote. One trick I've learned: after I log in to TCM, I must then disconnect from my ISP, reconnect, then post. I have to disconnect and reconnect every time I wish to post. At least it works on dialup this way.

PT. ONE

CHIP HEARTS MOVIES

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE

NOVEMBER 4-11, 2007

THIS WEEK:

STAR OF THE MONTH: LIZABETH SCOTT

DIRECTOR SPOTLIGHT: DOROTHY ARZNER

BIRTHDAY SALUTES: HEDY LAMARR, KAY THOMPSON, ROGER EDENS, JANE FROMAN, AND MARGARET MITCHELL

24 HOURS OF DISABILITIES

JUVENILE DELINQUENT GIRLS! MICHAEL LANDON AS A WEREWOLF! AND MORE!

PROGRAM NOTES

SCREAMS AND LAUGHS

The week begins with a genuinely scary horror film based on a piece of great literature, The Picture of Dorian Gray, followed by a slightly silly horror film with literary roots, The Raven (directed by Roger Corman) and another Corman film, The Terror (with a young Jack Nicholson). Laugh-out-loud comedy-horror movies I Was a Teen-age Werewolf (the teen-age werewolf in question is Michael Landon in his first major film role) and The Comedy of Terrors (starring an amazing cast including Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Joe E. Brown, and Basil Rathbone) wrap up this block. These light-hearted movies, along with the Laurel and Hardy and Nancy Drew flicks that follow, are well-suited for the weekend daytime hours when kids are most likely to be watching, too.

SUNDAY CAN BE A REAL DRAG!

The rest of Sunday features films in which one of the characters cross-dresses at some point in the movie, beginning with Laurel and Hardy's Another Fine Mess and two Bonita Granville/Nancy Drew entries --- Nancy's boyfriend Ted Nickerson often found the best way out of a scrape was to disguise himself as a woman, which might have given Nancy pause after a couple of episodes, but she seems fine with it. Hepburn and Garbo are next, donning trousers in Sylvia Scarlett and Queen Christina, respectively. The ultimate cross-dressing film (in which absolutely no one is what they seem) comes next: Victor/Victoria, preceding the premiere of the Howard Hawks-directed I Was a Male War Bride, starring Cary Grant as the titular bride.

SILENT SUNDAY/TCM IMPORT/ASIAN BLOCK/WOODY ALLEN

Silent Sunday Night 's Piccadilly starring Anna May Wong is the first of three films with an Asian theme, as my TCM Import is the premiere of 1968's Kurotokage (Black Lizard), a super-stylish Japanese film about the cunning female jewel thief Black Lizard and her battle with Japan's #1 detective over the Star of Egypt diamond. The action is Austin Powers-level absurd, and interestingly the female lead is played by transvestite actor Akihiro Maruyama --- a throwback to the earlier theme, although in this case he actually plays a woman (like Linda Hunt played a man in The Year of Living Dangerously, although here wearing far more fabulous clothes). Woody Allen's dubbed-over classic What's Up, Tiger Lily?, a film of similar style that Woody made his own, makes a fitting companion. After hours of such silliness, see how Woody matured with his masterpieces Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters.

WHAT A WAY TO MAKE A LIVING!

It's Monday morning at 9 AM: time to go to work! The entire workday is filled with sassy secretaries and scheming stenographers from the 1930's, beginning with three Loretta Young goodies: Big Business Girl, Week-End Marriage, and Employees' Entrance. Thrill to Skyscraper Souls with Warren William and Maureen O'Hara, see if the boss' wife is threatened by Her Husband's Secretary, and find out what Mary Astor is up to Behind Office Doors. After that, it may be Wife vs. Secretary, but we all win with a cast that includes Gable, Harlow, and Loy. This programming block wraps with everyone's favorite pre-Code gem Baby Face, as Barbara Stanwyck unforgettably works her way up the corporate ladder.

DOROTHY ARZNER: THE FIRST LADY

The director I chose to spotlight is Dorothy Arzner, generally considered the first successful female film director (and along with Ida Lupino and Germany's Leni Riefenstahl, the only regularly working woman director in the classic film era). In my dream documentary, you'll get clips from many of her films, from her debut directing the silent Fashions for Women through her later work (giving Frederic March his first leading role opposite Clara Bow in The Wild Party to her films with Katharine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, and Roz Russell). Although few people are still alive who worked on her classic era movies except dear old Anita Page, Arzner lived until 1979, so hopefully TCM can dig up friends and co-workers. Her personal life should be covered, but I'd really like to hear from some of today's women directors and producers (Streisand, Jane Campion, Jodie Foster, Christine Vachon) about her importance as a trailblazer. To this day, no other woman has amassed as large a body of work within the studio system.

The Dorothy Arzner films I chose include the Hepburn aviatrix film Christopher Strong (with that glorious moth dress --- with antennae! --- Hepburn wears), The Last of Mrs. Cheyney and The Bride Wore Red (both with Crawford), and the rarely seen Craig's Wife with Roz Russell. Just for fun, I followed it with the non-Arzner directed remake of Craig's Wife, Harriet Craig, which TCM recently premiered on its Summer Under the Stars Joan Crawford day.

NOT AN OVERNIGHT SENSATION: AVA GARDNER

Most of the day Tuesday I devoted to Ava Gardner --- in an unusual way. Her most famous roles, in the leads in movies like Show Boat and Mogambo (which end the Gardner block), were preceded by a decade of climbing up from extra parts, bits, and supporting roles. TCM would need to do a quick intro to each film to make this work --- the first few in the block are mere bits, and without explanation the theme doesn't make sense.

We start this block with her first film appearance in the short Fancy Answers, before seeing a couple of well-loved movies that many people don't even realize she's in: Shadow of the Thin Man and Babes on Broadway. Don't blink or you'll miss her! As the day progresses we see her in supporting roles in movies like The Hucksters, finally arriving at full-blown stardom with Show Boat and Mogambo. I'd actually enjoy seeing similar programming around other stars like Jean Harlow, who appear in bits in many films before breaking through.

STAR OF THE MONTH: LIZABETH SCOTT

I chose the husky-voiced Lizabeth Scott as my star of the month, and I hope TCM will do the same soon. The night's slate includes The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, probably the most familiar of her films to most TCM viewers, but it kicks off with the TCM Premiere of Stolen Face, an outlandish film noir involving a plastic surgeon duplicating his former girlfriend's face on a female criminal on the lam. I've also included The Company She Keeps (Lizabeth as a tough-as-nails probation officer checking up on Jane Greer) and the forgettable Easy Living with Victor Mature and Lucille Ball. In a recent Lizabeth Scott thread we've been asking TCM to convince Ms. Scott, who's still living, to do a Private Screening, but she's quite reclusive, so I didn't program one.

PART 2

CHIP HEARTS MOVIES

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE

NOVEMBER 4-11, 2007

DISABILITIES AND CARETAKERS

I was inspired by the Disability Theme to ease into the 24 Hour Marathon with three films involving doctors and nurses: Young Dr. Kildare with Lew Ayres, Night Nurse with Barbara Stanwyck, and The White Angel with Kay Francis. The White Angel, which is the story of Florence Nightingale, is actually the first to fall into the Disabilities theme. Nightingale, of course, was famous as The Angel of the Battlefield, caring for injured soldiers at the frontlines --- a perfect beginning for the programming block, since the first twelve hours are devoted to disability caused by war injury, wrapping with Harold Russell's magnificent turn in The Best Years of Our Lives. (He is the only actor in history to receive two Oscars for the same role).

The next few hours cluster people disabled or disfigured by accident or attack, including Jimmy Stewart in The Stratton Story and Joan Crawford in A Woman's Face. Three premieres follow: first up is the almost-forgotten Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970). Admittedly flawed and more than a little bizarre, this Otto Preminger film has never been released on video or DVD and virtually never airs on television. Liza Minnelli stars as a girl disfigured by a former lover who joins forces with a paraplegic and an epileptic to struggle through life. Kay Thompson also appears in the film --- more on Kay later this week! The second premiere is Les Yeux sans Visage (Eyes Without a Face), the classic French horror film about a surgeon who kidnaps young women and attempts to graft their faces onto his daughter, who was disfigured in an auto accident. The third premiere has Deborah Kerr nearly giving up Cary Grant after a devastating car crash --- An Affair to Remember, of course. (It has probably aired on TCM before, but I wasn't sure, so I counted it as a premiere). For good measure, it's followed by Love Affair, the earlier Irene Dunne/Charles Boyer version of the same story.

The Disability theme block ends with two films featuring those born with the most extreme birth defects, The Elephant Man and Freaks.

MARGARET MITCHELL BIRTHDAY SALUTE

It's November 8 --- what would be the 107th birthday of Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell! The day will wrap up with a screening of GWTW, but first we're going to take a look at other movies that feature GWTW stars --- in order of airing, Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (Ann Rutherford), Mildred Pierce (Butterfly McQueen), China Seas (Hattie McDaniel --- oh yeah, and Gable), The Petrified Forest (Leslie Howard), In This Our Life (Olivia DeHavilland), It Happened One Night (Gable), Waterloo Bridge (Vivian Leigh), and finally at 8 PM: Gone with the Wind.

STAYING IN THE SOUTH WITH TENNESSEE

After Gone with the Wind, leave Georgia and head for Tennessee --- Williams, that is. Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Geraldine Page, and Montgomery Clift are coming up in three great Tennessee Williams movies: Sweet Bird of Youth, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Suddenly, Last Summer!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...AND YOU...AND YOU!

Three people beloved by TCM viewers celebrated their birthdays November 9: Hedy Lamarr, Kay Thompson, and Roger Edens!

Start the day with Hedy in I Take This Woman and Ziegfeld Girl --- Roger Edens worked on Ziegfeld Girl too! Kay Thompson and Roger Edens collaborated on the classic Judy Garland piece "The Great Lady Has an Interview" in Ziegfeld Follies. Those two Ziegfeld films are a great kickoff for the three films that Edens won Oscars for: Annie Get Your Gun, Easter Parade, and On the Town. And Edens and Kay Thompson work together again with Funny Face, with Kay enchantingly demanding that the world Think Pink!

THE BAD GIRLS OF AIP

All those MGM musicals are full of sweethearts like Audrey Hepburn and Judy Garland --- enough already! Pop some popcorn and get ready for a campy night at the movies --- for the next ten hours (!), watch some of the baddest girls ever seen on film, with a night of AIP girl juvenile delinquent melodramas like Reform School Girl and High School Hellcats.

THE GOOD GIRLS OF DISNEY

It's Saturday morning and the kiddies are getting up --- maybe it's best we stop programming AIP goodies like Hot Rod Girl and Runaway Daughters, lest they get any ideas. Instead, dish out some wholesome Disney fare: Jodie Foster in Freaky Friday and Hayley Mills in The Parent Trap. The youngsters are probably familiar with the remakes starring today's top juvenile delinquent Lindsay Lohan, so the transition from the AIP juvie gals makes plenty of sense. They also lead up to my weekly Saturday Morning Showcase:

SATURDAY MORNING SHOWCASE:

FOREVER YOUNG: CLASSIC CHILD STARS

I'd love to see a regular Saturday morning showcase film featuring a classic child star. It's a good excuse to program some of the lesser-seen child stars with many films, like Virginia Weidler and Freddie Bartholomew, there is an endless supply of Mickey Rooney films, and maybe Fox will hand over some Jane Withers flicks --- they certainly aren't showing them on FMC. This theme has the added bonus of being very family-friendly during hours when young children are likely to be watching television. For today's entry, I selected Margaret O'Brien in Meet Me in St. Louis. It's followed by another Vincente Minnelli film, Gigi.

100TH BIRTHDAY SALUTE: JANE FROMAN!

Today marks the 100th birthday of the 30's-40's singer Jane Froman. Enormously popular in her day, she volunteered to perform with the USO for troops overseas during World War II. She was severely injured in a plane crash in Europe, one of the few to survive the crash, and almost lost her leg. She returned to Europe (while still on crutches!) to fulfill her promise to entertain the troops.

She only appeared in two movies and one short, all in the TCM library, so we're showing all three. They're followed by the TCM Premiere of the terrific Froman biopic With a Song in My Heart, starring Susan Hayward.

By the way --- Jane Froman married the pilot who rescued her after the plane crash!

TCM ESSENTIALS/TELL IT TO THE MARINES

Today also marks the anniversary of the founding of the U.S. Marine Corps, so for tonight's TCM Essentials entry I decided to premiere John Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima. Nominated for four Oscars (including Wayne as Best Actor), it's widely considered one of the great war films of all time.

It's followed by Wayne and Robert Ryan in Nicolas Ray's Flying Leathernecks and John Garfield and Eleanor Parker in Pride of the Marines. Next up: the classic battlefield drama All Quiet On the Western Front.

Personally, I'm a pacifist --- which is why I wrapped up the week with Gandhi.

DRAMAS: 47

COMEDIES: 17

MUSICAL: 14

MELODRAMA: 7 (THE AIP BLOCK, WHICH TODAY READS AS COMEDY)

WAR: 4 (INCLUDES THE REAL WAR MOVIES; THE DISABILITY WAR-INJURY MOVIES WERE CLASSIFIED AS DRAMAS)

HORROR: 4

COMEDY-HORROR: 2

MOST REPRESENTED STARS

AVA GARDNER: 8 + 1 short (includes bits)

CLARK GABLE: 6

JUDY GARLAND: 5

JOAN CRAWFORD: 4

LIZABETH SCOTT: 4

JANE FROMAN: 3 + 1 short

BORIS KARLOFF: 3

BARBARA STANWYCK: 3

LORETTA YOUNG: 3

MOST REPRESENTED DIRECTORS:

DOROTHY ARZNER: 4

EDWARD L. CAHN: 3 + 1 short

WOODY ALLEN: 3

ROGER CORMAN: 3

VINCENTE MINNELLI: 3

GEORGE SIDNEY: 3

BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS: 7

(All Quiet on the Western Front, It Happened One Night, GWTW, The Best Years of Our Lives, Gigi, Annie Hall, Gandhi)

BEST ACTOR OSCAR WINNERS: 3

(Gable, It Happened One Night; Frederic March, The Best Years of Our Lives; Ben Kingsley, Gandhi)

BEST ACTRESS OSCAR WINNERS: 4

(Claudette Colbert, It Happened One Night; Vivian Leigh, GWTW; Joan Crawford, Mildred Pierce; Diane Keaton, Annie Hall)

It looks like it worked now --- for anyone else having trouble, I copied the original posts to a text editor and removed all the boldface, italics, etc. It's a little harder to read without seeing it swim in front of you, but at least it's here.

Sorry I have been off the board for a few days ---

Hey, one click did the trick. What an age we live in!

Okay, it's time for me to climb into the dunk tank. I just looked over the schedules for a second time and my initial thought remains: I'm impressed with everyone's schedules. They are all fascinating to me. I think they tell a story about each person, which appeals to me.

I've decided that two schedules attract me the most, Kyle's and Ben's. I was completely taken by Kyle's themes. I thought they were thoughtfully done and brilliantly creative. I also liked his director spotlight (Ernst Lubitsch) the most and his "portrait" theme would really put me in the mood. Kyle's schedule is definitely my speed.

What I love about Ben's schedule is that from start to finish, I found films that I'd watch. The only bare spot for me was towards the very end. He was hitting all the right notes with my film and director tastes. Krzysztof Kieslowski? In prime time? Wow!

If I were voting strictly from a techinal standpoint, my vote would be for Kyle. From a personal standpoint, my choice would be Ben. I'm going to go with my selfish wants and pick Ben.

I also wanted to mention my favorite aspect of the other four schedules:

Chip: I love Lizabeth Scott as Star of the Month. I hope that happens.

Fedya: Joel McCrea and Frances Dee's 75th wedding anniversary was my favorite spotlight idea. Wonderful.

Movieman: A birthday salute to Thelma Ritter warms my heart.

FilmLover: You had my favorite day of programming: A Film Career in a Day. Ohhh, how I'd love to watch Grace Kelly films all day long.

"It's A Puzzlement"

Hi "Chip" -

Don't know the reason for your notes being so obstinate in these Forums but I want to make sure you do see that there is an "emoticon" in the "Notes" section to the Bad Girls Of AIP. Or at least my computer is reading the text in that section right after "for the next ten hours" as an 'emoticon' shortcut. (I never use them so I am not sure exactly what one does to insert them. But the new forum set-up has some intersting format options. Putting a dash at the end of a line and the beginning of the subsequent line "translates" as "Bullet Point" formatting. Like this -

- little demonstration.

Gotta prepare for my vote selection. This might take as long as getting the schedule done. Gad! We're all just too good! This is not going to be a quick decision.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk only to check on a "board fix".

First, I'd like to thank everyone who voted so far. Thank you for taking out the time and supporting your fellow posters and their schedules. Thank you! It means a lot to everyone involved.

Second, I received another PM vote and again, it's for Kyle: I just loved his subjects, reasons and hilarious notes.

So the voting talley now looks like this:

Kyle: 4

Benwhowell: 2

ChipHeartsMovies: 1

Fedya: 1

Filmlover: 1

Movieman1957: 0

There's still almost a week left to vote. At the moment, the boards seem to be working normally (knocks on wood), so the deadline to vote is still the same: September 14, 2007 at midnight PST/3 am EST. BUT if the boards should go down during the week, much like the great meltdown of last week, I will extend them by another day or two. Perhaps because it's the weekend, the load on the servers is much lighter and they'll be back to their annoying state during the week. I hope not.

Remember: the last day to vote is September 14, 2007 at midnight PST/3 am EST. There's still plenty of time to cast a vote and support for one of the six fantastic schedules posted in this thread.

Just bumping this up. Since the board is now working properly, the deadline for voting will still be September 14th, Midnight PST/3 am EST.

There's still plenty of time to get your votes in! All the schedules and notes are on the first page of this thread.

Sugarpuss:

In what is beginning to look like a run-away contest (compared to my vote tally) my vote is for Kyle's schedule. It was the one I would most want to sit down and watch.

(Frankly, all of the schedules would keep me busy but I have to go to work at some point.)

Congratulations to my fellow "schedulers." All of you did a magnificent job and I am sure there will be many themes that were created by you that will wind up on the schedule next spring and summer. You continue to set a very high standard.

Again, Sugarpuss, my thanks to you for hosting this contest and being a fine cheerleader for me and the others.

Chris

I better take a moment to post this while the software gremlins on this board are napping.

All the schedules showed imagination and impressive hard work, but the schedule by Filmlover is my choice. I hope that each person's schedule suggestions finds their way into reality in the coming year on TCM. Thanks to everyone for participating, especially Sugarpuss, whose patience is remarkable--despite all the sometimes maddening technical glitches.

Hello,

The gremlins must have roused for a minute...one minute is about the time it took me to open this thread. Now, while I am here...here are some programming challenge schedule things I like.

ChipHeartsMovies. Those "bad girls" movies. Good stuff.

Fedya. Lesser Swedish actresses. My dad was an Upsallaian (Upsallite?) and I like all things Swedish (except that God-awful Lutefisk). I did not know Ann-Margret was Swedish...cool.

Movieman1957. Happy Birthday Alan Hale...yes, indeed.

Filmlover. Disabling nervous anxiety (Now, Voyager)? Poor Bette...no Xanax for her.

Benwhowell. Cotton Comes To Harlem. One movie I wish TCM had scheduled for the Donald Bogle show (Race & Hollywood: Black Images On Film).

Kyle. Mr. Sardonic Cuss...Ned Sparks. Kyle...go to your room and no dinner until you say you are sorry.

I pick Filmlover's schedule.

Rusty

Moira and Rusty,

Thank you so much for your votes. I realize how hard it is to choose just one schedule, and the fact you picked mine out of all them means so much. This particular schedule is one I had wanted to do for some time. I am so glad you liked it.

filmlover

Just doing a quick thread check, and I'm very pleased to see more votes cast! Thank you for taking out the time and picking a favorite schedule.

I also received a PM vote this morning for movieman1957: his picks are right "Down My Alley!".

So the talley now looks like this:

Kyle: 5

Filmlover: 3

Movieman1957: 1

Keep those votes coming in! There's still plenty of time until September 14, midnight PST/3 am EST to cast a vote for your favorite schedule either publicly in this thread or by sending me a PM.

Note: If the board should have another meltdown in the next few days, I will extend the voting period. But so far, so good! :knocks on wood:

The Great Moderatress titled this edition of The TCM Programming Challenge "Back To Basics". Basic??? There wasn't a single "basic" schedule in the lot of them. We were asked to make spaghetti and what did we do? We pulled a Julia Child and created some the most tempting menus of movies yet seen in a Challenge. When I spoke of a smorgasboard at the beginning of the Challenge, little did I know that I was going to gorge on such delights as those that were served up by my co-challengers.

ChipHeartsMovies -

- KyleHeartsChip'sMovies! My plate would be filled with Craig's Wife, Stolen Face and ...Junie Moon. (and a big dollop of Picadilly.) I think your choice of Dorothy Azner for a director's salute is wonderful.

Fedya -

- This was a week for a romantic feast. I can't knock Joel McCrea & Frances Dee as Concurrent Romantic Stars Of The Month. I think it showed extremely good taste. As is your presenting the wonderfully romantic Casablanca, Love Affair and All This And Heaven Too. Throw in a "The Theme from 'Valley Of The Dolls' " (I am listening too k.d. lang's version as I type this) and this schedule makes me feel like I've had too much champagne (if there is such a thing.)

BenwHowell -

- I am so pleased you chose not to sit out this Challenge as I am so taken with your tasting menu of a week of programming. It's one of those weeks when you just have to trust the 'chef' and what he sends out. Whipping up a week featuring Titicut Follies along with It's Tough To Be A Bird (Is there a good reason the theme song still rattles in my head 30+ years later?) is certainly adventuresome as are the premieres of Rosemary's Baby and Putney Swope. (Want to see them both once again.) I admire your selection of John Huston for your director's salute. And leave it to you to make "Chop Suey" look good. I bask in the creative glow of your "Winter Light". (I also think you should pick up where "RayGun" left off and do some promos for TCM. Soon.)

filmlover -

- I can now officially hand over the crown (toque?) I have worn since I posted the Independence Day salute oh-so-many Challenges ago. Your "fare" through Ellis Island has left me standing on the dock. The added side dishes of "Rod Serling", "The Model T" and "Funnie Papers" pictures are mouth-watering. And who should we get to crack "the vault"? Sean Connery from The Great Train Robbery or Aldo Ray from The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England?

Yet, after reveling in this glorious, gluttonous bill of fare (think Robert Morley in Who Is Killing The Great Chefs Of Europe) and my own schedule of "exotic" creations,

I am voting for Movieman1957 -

- I am really a man with simple tastes and of simple pleasures. But that's not to say Movieman1957's schedule is the film equivilent of fast food. Far from it. Being served up (preferably by William "Godfrey" Powell) some Thelma Ritter, Gregory Peck, George S. Kaufman and Michael Curtiz is just what I would order for myself. My desire for comfort films would be sated by the end of that week. I also want 'BenwHowell' to create a Ward Bond tribute set to the James Bond theme. And anyone that "quotes" an obscure Elton John song title ("All The Nasties") for a theme deserves a big tip.

So excuse me while I knosh on The Talk Of The Town, Ivanhoe, Saps At Sea, Unexpected Uncle, This Land Is Mine....

Kyle (please pass me the bicarbonate) In Hollywood

Kyle, I'm full from just reading your notes!

Okay everyone, since the boards are back to their somewhat normal selves, the last day to cast a vote will be September 14, 2007 - midnight PST/3 am EST. So keep those votes coming in! You only have about a day and a half left to pick your favorite schedule!

The voting tally so far:

Kyle: 5

Filmlover: 3

Movieman1957: 2

Thanks, Lynn and FrankGrimes, for the votes! It means a lot...especially since my schedule appears somewhat confusing. I just noticed that there are several curious omissions from my orignal posted schedule? Including 8 of my theme/song titles..."Curiosity Killed The Cat," "Bizarre Love Triangle," "The Lady Is A Tramp," "Turning Japanese," "True Colors," "Did You Ever See a Dream Walking," "We Got The Beat" and Yo Ho Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me.)

Also missing are some Patsy Kelly/Thelma Todd shorts that were part of my birthday tribute to Patsy.

Those darn gremlins!

Anyway, sorry for you guys having to "fill in the blanks."

Ben,

Not a problem for me. I have loved your schedule since it was originally posted. I was having such issues opening this thread that I went back to the original thread and read them all there before making my final decision.

I posted this a short while ago (an hour or so ago) and when I checked back, the post was gone! So I'm posting this again with the hopes that it sticks. In the unlikely case of my original post mysteriously reappearing, please don't view it as ballot box stuffing!

Submitting my vote for Ben -- whose wonderful schedule contains the greatest number of films that I would actually stop my day in mid-track to watch. Congrats to all!

Once again an impressive selecion of schedules to choose from. A hard choice for sure.

My congratualtions to all 6 members for their hard work and contributions for all of us to enjoy.

With that said, I chose Fedya. I just couldn't resist the salute to character actress Una O' Connor. Also pleased with a favorite director Michael Curtiz, the combo of Frances Dee and Joel McCrea, Charles Boyer (the Pepe le Pew cartoon was perfect), and various themes.

Of course to top it off, my favorite actress Barbara Stanwyck in "Baby Face".

Thanks to all who participated.

Mongo wrote:

Charles Boyer (the Pepe le Pew cartoon was perfect)

Ooh, somebody finally commented on this! ;-)

I cast my vote for Chip -- I'd be interested in learning more about Dorothy Arzner.

Thanks, Dewey!

sugarpuss, I went back to my original post (in the challenge thread) and discovered the omissions there. I just assumed they happened as a result of all the changes being made on the board(s) that week. But you say you saw my schedule intact? Strange. Maybe it's my computer or connection or whatever...I'm a novice at all these "technical" things.

However, I have noticed that some of my (entire) posts appear and disappear and reappear.

Maybe I should take up "magic."

Archived