Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks for Voting in the TCM "Back to Basics" Programming Challenge!

sugarpuss

movieman1957 -

You are so right that 'patful' has all the knowledge necessary to put a schedule together. I think if we make a coordinated campaign, we can get him to join us. I have also started lobbying him. You be MacArthur, I'll be Eisenhower and we'll get someone to be Patton. Hopefully he will succumb to our relentless pressure and pleading and join up. Either that or we'll just end up on his "Ignore Member" list.

(Watch out FrankGrimes. I've got you in my sights too!)

And thanks for the time-frame feedback too. It's duly noted. (As is 'filmlover's')

Kyle In Hollywood

November, November, November! That would be the best time for a new challenge. Even though I'm itching to do a schedule now, I'm kind of busy at the moment.

filmlover, I love the alternate cover!

>You be MacArthur, I'll be Eisenhower and we'll get someone to be Patton. Hopefully he will succumb to our relentless pressure and pleading and join up. Either that or we'll just end up on his "Ignore Member" list.

I'd be Patton, but he seems a little too manly to represent me. Although I am good at barking orders and making people loathe me.

> (Watch out FrankGrimes. I've got you in my sights too!)

Easy. Just make the spotlight theme be: "A Schedule Full of Fritz Lang and Film Noir". That'll get him!

And thank you to everyone who complimented my moderesssing duties. I really wanted to make this challenge fun. If I could have handed out cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to everyone in both threads, I would have (I pride myself on being a good hostess). But they haven't invented a way to do that over the internet--yet. Maybe Kyle can figure something out.

Kyle -- Congratulations on winning your second Challenge, Hollywood. I was very impressed by the overall packaging of your wonderful schedule. A perfectly set table for a terrific feast. Of course, I didn't vote for you, but that was mostly personal, as you know. My hatred for you is legendary.

(Watch out FrankGrimes. I've got you in my sights too!)

I find it to be much more comfy sitting in the balcony, yucking it up with Statler and Waldorf, Kermy.

Lucy Van Pelt -- You did a superb job running the Challenge under difficult circumstances. I'm not sure where you summoned the patience. So has your hair started to grow back yet?

Easy. Just make the spotlight theme be: "A Schedule Full of Fritz Lang and Film Noir". That'll get him

Good grief. I can't be that predictable, can I? What? You want me to kick a football? Sounds like fun.

"I find it to be much more comfy sitting in the balcony, yucking it up with Statler and Waldorf, Kermy." - FrankGrimes

"Kermy" is gonna send Miss Piggy - in her best Veronica Lake drag - up to that balcony to haul you down to join us behind the footlights. And don't think those two old curmudgeons are going to protect ya. They are suspicious of all bi-peds in their midst.

I didn't know you had a thing for felt. Can I bribe you to take part with a nice, broken-in fedora? I've had it scotch-guarded.

Kyle at the Haberdashery

Chip, I understand your enthusiasm for doing another one so soon after the last one. lol, I used to be that way. However, I truly hope for November, because it is already September 17th and I would like time to kick back to let the creative juices flow again. If it started in October, which is less than two weeks away, I might likely have to drop out because after being in every Challenge from the very beginning, either as participant or as host, I am brain dead, and am only now starting to catch up on real life again. I find I need about a month and a half to two months to come in fresh with new ideas.

Kyle -- Getting me to partake in a Programming Challenge is a major challenge in itself. Ma Na Ma Na.

I'm really curious to see what kind of schedule Sugarpuss puts together in the next challenge. I thought I'd apply some early pressure on Peppermint Patty.

"Getting me to partake in a Programming Challenge is a major challenge in itself." -FrankGrimes

I know, it's not easy being green - even as a greenhorn programmer. But what are you gonna do? Just sit there and watch the parade pass you by? It might be just a "dog and pony" show - or, as we had in my hometown, a "doll and pet parade" but at least you are not just sitting on the curb. It's not like you're following the elephants with a broom or shovel. (That's my job as Challenge moderator.)

The more adamant you are about not participating, the harder I'll come after ya. Then you will really have reason to write "Curses" & "Kyle" in the same sentence.

Kyle (the merciless) In Hollywood

" I'll happily wait {snip} if FrankGrimes agrees to at least give it a shot next go 'round?" - ChipHeartsMovies

Oooh! We've recruited another general for the assualt on FrankGrimes. Since 'sugarpuss' wasn't pleased with being General Patton, how's about Chip plays Patton and I can get 'sugarpuss' to be General Bradley. (I don't have clue what he is supposed to look like.)

And let me re-post on two topics about the next Challenge -

- would it be advantageous to have the next Challenge conclude before the Thanksgiving holiday? (perhaps, save for the voting?)

- as a preamble to the next Challenge, would eveyone (anyone) like to particpate in an series of elimination votes to choose the Spotlight Theme for Challenge #8? Hopefully that can keep the Programming Challenge "active" in some form while allowing the real "work" to be put off for a few more weeks. (And that includes my prep work too.) I have had two challengers comment to me in PM so far - one for and one against. But I'd like to hear from (many) others.

And I may need some reinforcements to roust some one from their koi pond so they'll too jump into the next challenge.

Kyle (preparing to cross the Channel) In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk because "Chop Hearts Movies" , while an amusing malaprop (or malatype?), is a bit too violent sounding for such a nice fella.

I don't remember any General Bradley looking like that in The Longest Day.

But she definitely wasn't pleased with being George Patton so ... how about General Pershing? I've seen his statue in Los Angeles (Pershing Square) and he isn't so bad looking. Of course, that puts 'sugarpuss' in the pre-jazz WWI era. Doubt she'll like that either.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk because stature and statue aren't interchangeable - unless trying to be poetic. And I wasn't.

"Ever heard of John Nesbitt?" - Fedya

Of course! But I was thinking more along the lines of Ephraim & Dolly Levi. Because FrankGrimes is certainly acting like that stuck-in-the-mud Horace VanderGelder.

(Good job on learning how to put hyperlinks in text, BTW. Nice!)

Kyle In Hollywood

> ...roust some one from their koi pond...

Not nearly there yet, Kyle, too busy trying to cut down a mortally wounded cedar elm, all the while being attacked by hordes of carpenter ants vigorously defending their home. Well, crawled on anyway, they don't bite. Still, not a good feeling twenty-five feet off the ground. If I stop posting, they won.

Does nobody want to play General Chuikov? There was a tactician, and quite fetching too. Don't know how to post a link anymore, but you'll find his photo at Wiki.

Congratulations to Kyle and all the participants in the challenge. Your hard work, cleverness, and dedication to the spirit of the challenge was amazing. And Sugarpuss...you deserve a standing ovation for managing to work through all this, given the state of these boards. :::::applauds all participants::::: Brava/bravo!

Di

Kyle,

Since you asked and you know how I usually post a Challenge schedule at the 11th hour, the end of the Thanksgiving weekend would probably work best for me.

But, I'll go with majority vote no matter what. Can I apply my idea of Challenger Emeritus?

lzcutter -

You're timeframe preferences are noted. Working through Thanksgiving weekend is definitly

do-able.

"Can I apply my idea of Challenger Emeritus?"

Not this time out. You've passed up too many past Challenges. (So did I, so don't take that personal.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle -- How come I'm getting a *Paths of Glory* feel around here all of a sudden?

It's not like you're following the elephants with a broom or shovel. (That's my job as Challenge moderator.)

You'd need a pretty big broom AND shovel if you were to follow any kind of schedule of mine.

The more adamant you are about not participating, the harder I'll come after ya. Then you will really have reason to write "Curses" & "Kyle" in the same sentence.

Very observant of you, Ming. It's getting harder and harder to sneak posts by you and others on this board. And, by the way, your secret testing site is safe with me, Trixie Delight. You like Mickey the Mouse?

ChipHeartsMovies -- Et tu, Chip? Man, I'm really in trouble when one of the nicest persons on the board is helping Kyle, the most evil person on the board, throw me to the wolves.

If TCM were to play the films in my schedule, they'd get an avalanche of viewer responses like:

Where did the sunnier side of life go?

What's wrong with my TV, I only hear music?

This is America, play American films!

This would cause me to flee to the TCM windmill. At least my ending would be a happy one, right? I can't imagine anything going wrong at the windmill.

Lynn -- I'd love to see your schedule.

Diana -- You can take my programming slot. You and I share similar dark tastes. So I really don't see any problem in you... . Damn that garter gun of yours!

So where the heck did Sugarpuss go? Did the exhaustion finally get to her? Is she marrying Joe Lilac right now? Maybe I need to sing for her. Shhh-u-u-u-ugar. Shhh-u-u-u-ugar. Sugar, won't you please come home, come home, come home.

Patricia "Peppermint Patty" Reichardt: Listen, you can't let yourself get into a mood like this. I know you miss Sugarpuss. I miss her, too. But if you let yourself get into a mood, no one will want to be around you. No one likes a moody person, Frank. Take it from me: I learned a long time ago that if you go around in a mood feeling sorry for yourself, you do it alone. And I mean *alone*, Frank.

FrankGrimes -

"You'd need a pretty big broom AND shovel if you were to follow any kind of schedule of mine."

Wet-Vacs are a wonderful invention. Oh, what an age we live in...

"So where the heck did Sugarpuss go?"

I think she made like Babs Stanwyck in The Lady Eve and went shrieking from the Boards at the mention of 'patful's swarming carpenter ants. (Please be careful up that tree, sir. And General Chuikov oddly resembles one of the Soviet Soft Drink kommisars found in One, Two, Three.)

And to Dianabat -

There's a Programming Challenge slot all your own set aside for you. Compassionate and thoughtful person that you are, don't think you need take over FrankGrimes' place.

The oh-so-cool slacker is just looking for an enabler. (He even skipped The Killers last night. What a poser!) It would be wonderful if you joined up for the next Programming Challenge. Hope you consider it.

Kyle In Hollywood

Frank Grimes wrote:

I can't imagine anything going wrong at the windmill.

Oh, you might see a Dutch Cabinet member being held hostage and have nobody believe you, but other than that.... ;-)

Hey! Kyle and Movieman - there one big difference between General Bradley and I - and that's the amount of hair on our heads! How about I just go to a country, stop a war and become General Sugarpuss? I can unite everyone by having them dance the cha-cha together. and get a garbage truck in there to haul away the troublemakers--all while looking fabulous, of course!

Diana and Patful - you really should think about entering a schedule in the next go-around. I see Kyle is trying to recruit some newbies and I'm totally with him on this. Kyle was the lucky moderator who lured me into this racket--and was bombarded by my many questioning PM's about said challenge. Lucky guy! He's like the Pied Piper of the challenge, picking up new participants here and there.

Charlie Brown! Or should I call you Chuck? I'm baaaccck, you sly dog you! If you must know, my father and I were trying to con some rich shipgoers, but shhhh - don't tell anyone. Anyway, let's go play some football--I'll even let you kick it this time! Heh. Or we can go fly a kite! Just watch out for that pesky tree. Of course, we could skip all this and you could just enter a schedule in the next challenge. Which is probably the best, because I'm a mess when it comes to sports.

You know if anyone cares, I'm much more like Sally - chasing after somewhat neurotic, Great Pumpkin believing, blanket carrying men for my entire life. Sigh.

Archived