Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Authentic music recordings from the 1927's period

HI !

I am looking for original/ authentic music recordings of music from around 1927..

Does anyone know where i can find this, or if anyone has their own library of authentic music recorded from this era could you please let me know.

It is so hard to find.

Thanks

In the 1925-1927 period most record companies transitioned from acoustic to electronic recording (with microphones and amplification), the beginning of the modern recording era.

There are several stations on Live365 that program music of the era that interests you: Radio Dismuke, Sweet and Lovely, among others. Playlists are shown while selections play. Radio Dismuke may also be heard through a link on the www.dismuke.org website. (I let my Live365 subscription lapse after several years due to other demands on my time.)

Another source is The Malcolm Laycock Show on the BBC2 Radio website. Find the Malcolm Laycock page for information. The first half hour has music of the early to late 1930's and more recent big band music during the second half hour. This program is streamed live on Sundays at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time. The previous week's program may be streamed by clicking Listen Again To This Show before the new show is streamed.

I have a good sized library of recordings covering the 1926-1938 period, original 78's, LP and CD reissues, reel to reel and cassette tapes. Very little of my original media has been indexed or dubbed to CDs and most of it is, at this moment, in storage. (Dubbing selected portions of my videotape archive to DVD has been first in priority.)

As to dicographies see any of Brian Rust's works. For many years I have used his The Complete Entertainment Discography 1897-1942, The American Dance Band Discography 1917-1942, and Jazz Records 1897-1942. Together these run to around 4,500 pages of recording details. I also use British Dance Bands on Record 1911-1945 by Brian Rust and Sandy Forbes. Rust also produced a more recent discography (that I do not have) for Ragtime recordings. A less comprehensive resource is Pop Memories 1890-1954: The History of American Popular Music by Joel Whitburn. Whitburn gives practical lists and charts but covers only the most popular recordings.

Message was edited by: talkietime

With much difficulty and at long last I have been able to edit my earlier post with additional information and another source for listening.

Most of the evening I've been listening to Radio Dismuke out of Fort Worth. Ah! such wonderful music. I've just been listening to a familiar radio transcription of (Dancin' with) Anson Weeks from the Cocoanut Grove in 1932.

Just before I was able to revise this post at 10:01 p.m. Pacific Time I was the only logged-in user on this Message Board. There were but ten guests.

That still doesn't make any difference, this board still functions badly.

Thanks for the info everyone but it's not quite what i was looking for.

Does anyone know any independent record labels who have this kind of music or any musicians who still own their own music from that time or families of musicians who have that music that i can talk to for a research project.

You guys are amazing for trying to help me i do appreciate it alot.

Most of the artists from the 1920?s and 1930?s are no longer with us and their music is little in demand. Except for the best known artists and those that continued to perform into the 1950?s through 1970?s, it?s been years since the original record companies have reissued this music on their own CD labels. That market has fallen to small record labels that might turn a profit with small production runs and rely on internet sales through their websites or such places as Amazon and Half.com. Fred listed one of the other stores that specialize in hot jazz. Many of these CDs go out of print and the issuers often disappear from the marketplace.

One company that continues to issue such material is Dutton Laboratories. They use several label names, according to the recording genre. The Vocalion label (formerly one the names used by Columbia) issues the music you seek.

Other small labels include ASV (an EMI company), Pegasus, ProArte, Recording Arts, Take Two, Jasmine, Circle, Hindsight, Prism, Prestige, Exceed, Flyright. Many of these companies are located in the UK or Europe. Some are no longer in business but their issues are still in the used market.

There is the (British) Memory Lane magazine/website that provides detailed articles concerning artists and recordings, British and American.

There are also discussion groups; the Al Bowlly group comes to mind. Al Bowlly, born in South Africa, became the most popular singer with a number of British orchestras, recorded often, perhaps most notably with Ray Noble?s New Mayfair HMV orchestra 1931-1935, came to the US with Noble, but soon returned to England, and was killed in a blitz bombing of London in April 1941. Listening to Al Bowlly is habit-forming. (I cherish the complete Ray Noble/Al Bowlly collection, more than 200 recordings, in both versions, the older 14 LP slip-cased set with comprehensive documentation, and the more recent 10 CD set with abridged documentation.)

Many books in this field have been produced over the years, check any larger library.

I hope this helps with your project.

I misidentified the British magazine/website in the post below.

It should read Memory Lane Magazine. Here is their website:

http://www.memorylane.org.uk/about_memory_lane.htm

I misidentified the Al Bowlly discussion group in the post below

Here is their website:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bowlly/

The Cylinder Archive

http://www.archive.org/details/cylindertransfer

and

The 78 RPMs collection

http://www.archive.org/details/78rpm

are part of the Open Source Audio collection at the Internet Archive.

The former is definitely from the acoustic recording era, while the later includes both acoustic and electronic recordings. All are in the Public Domain. Sound quality varies.

Look around while you are there, the Internet Archive is an amazing resource.