Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Picking your own movies to watch on Halloween

First, it sure is nice to be on here again without all that interference with the system. It was hard to log in and post and reply to threads...

Well I dont know about you, but I usually never watch Halloween specials on TV anymore and rely on my own movies to watch on Halloween...

I was curious as to what movies you would pick to watch for a whole day on Halloween (even if youre going out on Halloween, just pretend youd be home and play along)

For me I would pick

Halloween 1 & 2 , Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Seven, City of the Dead..

Ive seen the Universal Horror Classics so many times , still I might thrown them if I had time

This would be a fun day, candles on , lights out :)

Don't forget Half Pint and Joe the Milkman.

Actually, all the schlocky William Castle films are tailor-made for Halloween, notably THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, HOMICIDAL, THE TINGLER, 13 GHOSTS, I SAW WHAT YOU DID.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Homicidal was on TCM in the wee hours yesterday --- I came in at 4 AM and it had just begun.

I'd second the William Castles, and would also love to watch Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Dracula, Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein, Plan Nine from Outer Space, Rosemary's Baby, White Zombie, Rocky Horror, and Nosferatu.

I also have a cherished bootleg of a Halloween TV special Paul Lynde made in 1976, with guest stars Margaret Hamilton, Kiss, and Donny & Marie. No Halloween is ever complete without a viewing of that!

If I were picking for somebody who hadn't already seen the Universal classics, I'd definitely do that. Great movies; theme appropriate. For myself, I'd probably go with "extreme creepy." I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, THE LEOPARD MAN, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS. Maybe even HOUSE OF WAX. But the scariest thing I've ever seen? Dear old Margaret Hamilton as The Witch! Good Lord!

My choices would be:

Halloween

The Changeling

House of Wax

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

The Uninvited

The Phantom of the Opera (Claude Rains)

The Haunting

Village of the Damned

Exorcist 3

Suspiria

The Body Snatcher

The Woman in Black

I'd probably go with Val Lewton films, traditional Universal horror films, and German silents.

Kyle's "Portraits of a Lady" theme in his Programmer Challenge schedule is something I could really go for on Halloween.

Laura

Portrait of Jennie

The Woman in the Window

Vertigo

That Forsyte Woman

I'd love to be haunted by those films and, more importantly, those women.

Here are my picks:

The Universal Classics (come on, I have to watch these, no matter how many times I've seen them)

Freaks( Ahhh, circus folk bent on revenge)

The Unknown ( I love this silent, plus its a messed up love tale good for both Halloween & Valentines day)

Halloween ( classic 70's horror flick )

I will probably be watching a whole bunch of other horror/sci-fi flicks, I'll just make the desicion when I'm done watching these.

Noticed that virtually all of us mentioned Halloween (1978). Although I want TCM to play more of the 30's-40's films, maybe TCM should license Jamie Lee & Co. for the 8 PM/need-high-ratings slot.

It really IS a classic, under any definition.

Jamie Lee's my girl too Chip. And I see many chilling choices amongst this thread for Halloween programming. FrankGrimes...

what an interesting take on Halloween to be haunted by Jennifer Jones and Gene Tierney etc. A romantic notion I think. But for me folks, I think I'm going to have to go with the rather typical pedestrian fare from the 30's / 40's. I don't want to be heartsick, I want to be disturbed by the visions of Karloff, Lugosi and Lon Jr. in:

"Frankenstein"

"Dracula"

"The Mummy"

"The Bride of Frankenstein"

"The Wolfman."

Can't you picture it...your dark apartment with just the light of the tv. You'd start at midnite, have all your accoutrements ready: popcorn, candy, drinks (a hot toddy perhaps). NO interruptions, you're laying in bed under the covers. And then you hear Renfield's laugh waft through your home...or see The Nubian. An archaeologist laughs at a mummy...walking. Karloff brings back his dead love "Oh Isis, save me from this mummy." How about poor Frankenstein being rejected: "We belong dead." And who could resist the classic "even a man who is pure at heart, and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms...and the autumn moon is bright." Who wants to see Maria Ouspenskaya in a dark and lonely apartment. Who wouldn't want to save Evelyn Ankers!

Oooh! What was that noise? Hello? Hello? Who's there??? Aargh!

Message was edited by: CineMaven

Ive seen the Universals so often that was my biggest issue, I love those movies, but I have seen them trillions of times...still since these movies are 60-80 minutes I would try to fit a few in..Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman is still a favorite from then ..

Some of those other choices are really great, and I kicked myself when I overlooked a few to watch on Halloween like Body Snatcher, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Exorcist

Others I would consider

Creepshow, Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Burial Ground & maybe Ring of Terror

Here's my Halloween mandatory marathon movie list:

THE BLACK CAT (34)

THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (41)

THE CAT PEOPLE (42)

THE MONSTER MAKER (44)

THE LADY AND THE MONSTER (44)

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN (43)

THE MAD GHOUL (43)

HOUSE OF HORRORS (46)

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (56)

NOT OF THIS EARTH (57)

HOUSE On HAUNTED HILL (58)

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (59)

Dewey1960

null

We've decided that our "theme" this year (for our front yard Halloween decorations) is spiders!

So I guess my list would include-

"King Kong" (33)

"Cat-Women Of The Moon" (53)

"Tarantula" (55)

"The Incredible Shrinking Man" (57)

"The Lost World" (60)

"Village Of The Giants" (65)

"Spider Baby" (68)

"Spider" (2002)

And, of course-

"Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" (73)

My wife and I always watch The Mummy (1932). It's our Halloween film. others that would make a good evening:

Don't Look Now (1973)

The Walking Dead (1936)

Nosferatu (both the 1922 and 78 versions)

Black Sunday (1961)

Black Sabbath (1964)

Vampyr (1932)

The Black Cat (1934)

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Mad Love (1935)

The Beast with Five Fingers (1948)

The Innocents (1961)

Blood and Black Lace (1964)

The Audition (2000)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Carnival of Souls (1962)

I Walked with a Zombie (1943)

Night of the Demon (1958)

Peeping Tom (1960)

Psycho (1960)

Freaks (1932)

The Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

Waxworks (1924)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

The Old Dark House (1932)

The Invisible Man (1933)

*Rosemary's Baby* will always be the most frightening movie for me. The rest for Halloween...

*The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari* (1919)

*Vampyr* (1931)

*Dracula* (1931)

*Day of Wrath* (1943)

*I Walked with a Zombie* (1943)

*Invasion of the Body Snatchers* (1956)

*Carnival of Souls* (1962)

*God Told Me To* (1976)

*Q (The Winged Serpent)* (1982)

Great GREAT choices folks. D'ya hear us TCM. I think you have enough program for the week that leads up to Halloween. Glad to see the Queen of Horror's (the luscious Barbara Steele) "Black Sabbath" among the scary mix. OOooooh scary monster.

Every Halloween, for the past I don't know how many years, I watch the Frankenstein Trilogy: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein; then, I watch YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN to chase away the "TERROR!"

And, on those rare occasions when I can squeeze in another, it will be either The Wolfman, The Mummy, or Dracula. I just never have time for The Invisible Man!

Vampire and ghost movies are most appropriate for Halloween. This would be my Halloween 13...

1. DRACULA (1931)

2. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936)

3. SON OF DRACULA (1943)

4. HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944)

5. HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945)

6. MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)

7. RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (1944)

8. VALLEY OF THE ZOMBIES (1945)

9. NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)

10. BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960)

11. THE HAUNTING (1963)

12. BLACK SUNDAY (1961)

13. WITCHCRAFT (1964)

Cinemaven wrote:

Can't you picture it...your dark apartment with just the light of the tv.

Ooh, that reminds me of Wait Until Dark -- theatre owners were asked to turn off all the lights for the last 15 minutes or so of the movie. Audrey Hepburn was robbed of an Oscar.

In a different vein, I'd recommend The Hellstrom Chronicle as a nice scary movie. Watch out for those driver ants! ;-)

Great list, Prince!! Most especially SON OF DRACULA (very unfairly underappreciated becuz of its "B" status!), RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (vintage Lugosi at the height of his "poverty row" persona) and CURSE OF THE DEMON (a movie made for Halloween!)

Um, me, I don't like the slasher/river of blood type; lacks sublety. Give me the old time horror: the classic Frankenstein and Dracula. Better yet, the original Nosferatu or that other one... Someone help me here... Silent, German, artsy; the final scene is a man "drowning" is a flour bin, which is somehow the creepiest thing I've ever seen... Now THAT's a Halloween flick!!!