5. - The Wolf Man

6. - The Werewolf Of London

7. - Frankenstein

8. - The Bride of Frankenstein

9. - Son of Frankenstein

!0.- The Tingler

11.-The Invisible Man

12.-King Kong

13.-Invasion of The Body Snatcher ( 1956 )

14.-"The Thing" From Outer Space ( 1950)

15.-The Fly ( 1958)

16.-The House of Wax ( 1953 )

17.- Alien

18. It Came From Outer Space

19- White Zombie

20- Son of Dracula

21- Daughter of Dracula

22- The Mummy

23.- The Mummy's Ghost

24.- The Mummy's Hand

25 - The Curse of The Mummy

26- Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

27- Man Made Monster

28- The Blob ( 1958 )

29- 20 Million Miles From Earth

30.- The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

31.- It Came From Beneath the Sea

32.- "It" The Terror from Outer Space

33.- Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

34.- Attack of the Puppet People

35.- The Amazing Colossal Man

36 - The Invisible Ray

37- Before I Hang

38 - The Body Snatcher

39- Invaders From Mars

40- The Ghost of Frankenstein

41- The Curse of Frankenstein

42- Murder in the Rue Morgue ( Both Version's Lugosi & Karl Malden)

43 - Doctor Cyclops

44- Doctor Jekyll & Mr. Hyde ( Spencer Tracy Version )

45 - Robot Monster

46 - I Married a Monster From Outer Space

47 - The Giant Claw

48 - "Them"

49 - The Hidden

50 - I Was A Teenage Frankenstein

51 - I Was A Teenage Werewolf ( Michael Landon )

52 - How To Make a Monster

53 - Carnival of Souls

54 - Creature wit the Atom Brain

55 - Zombies of Mora Tau

56 - House on Haunted Hill

57 - Revenge of the Creature

58.- Island of Lost Souls ( Laughton Version)

59.- The Man they Could Not Hang

60 - The Exorcist

61 - The Amityville Horror

62. - Return of the Fly

63. - Godzilla

64. - The Shining

65. - The Crawling Eye

66. - Tarantula

67.- Earth Versus The Spider

68.- Something Wicked This Way Comes

69.- The Werewolf

70.- Young Frankenstein

71.- The Creature From The Black Lagoon

72.- Circus Of Horrors

73.- Rodan

74. Kronos

75. Plan 9 From Outer Space

Bartlett

Hey, I was gonna start a new thread about this very subject until I saw this one so let me put down some of the ones I'll be watching with no interruption for a two-day marathon.

1. The Mummy's Ghost. Since my namesake is the star of this wonderfully atmospheric and surprising classic, I simply had to put this down as my number one pick. Ramsay Ames portrays the tragic Amina/Princess Ananka heroine in a tremulous, dreamy way which is perfect. Ames was probably the most ravishing starlet to ever hit Hollywood but Universal tragically squandered her--along with her chief competitor, Acquanetta--in grade B entertainment. Dig that shocking ending--where Ames transforms from knock-out beauty to a 3,000 mummy.

2. Night Monster. This l941 black and white gem from Universal has a fantastic cast as a group of doctors are lured into a weekend stay at spooky, gloomy Ingston Towers. A hideous night monster wipes them all out. Fantasic acting from Fay Helm as the crazed, neurotic patient and an equally powrful performance from veteran character actress Doris Lloyd as the sinister housekeeper. Wonderful black and white photography, musical score and foggy ambiance.

My other must-sees:

3. Howard Hawks, l950 "The Thing." No gore, no special effects, just great atmosphere and ensemble playing by a group of terrified people at an isolated Anarctica military base.

4. John carpenter's "The Thing." Still amazing monster scenes, guaranteed to terrify.

5. Captive wild Woman. The glorious Acquanetta portrays Cheela, the Ape Woman with sharp support from Scream Queen Evelyn Ankers and Milburn stone. From Universal, l942.

6. The Haunting. No blood, no gore, no special effects--just great black and white photography and superb cast, led by Julie Harris as the psychotic heroine.

7. Zombie. This Italian gore-fest is so over the top it's fun. Great musical score and photography.

8. Suspiria. Another Italian classic from Dario Argento. Young American ballet student enters a strange school, ruled by witches.

9. The Mummy's Curse. Virginia Christine later became famous as Mrs. Olson of the Folger coffee commercials but before then she was another Princess Ananka in this fun Universal shocker from l944. Dig that scene of Christine digging her way out of a quicksand bog to reveal to the world that she's a 3,000 year mummy.

10. The Black Cat. Outstanding eerie sets and great musical score, topped off with superb performances by Karloff and Lugosi. This movie creates a powerful ambiance of a lost era, all captured in the art deco castle of the mad and demonic Karloff.

ll. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (l978) This remake fo the black and white classic actually improves on the original. First rate cast and eerie atmosphere.

Enjoy!

I just got "monstered up" at the library! CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US. Or, as my brother calls him, "**** Lagoon!" (My family has an affinity for gill men.) I also got THE MONOLITH MONSTERS. I don't remember this one. Sounds pretty weird. But a script by the talented Jack Arnold is worth a look.

RR

Bronxgirl--Hope you checked out the YouTube site cited by Dewey. It was great.

Princess Ananaka--can I come to YOUR house for Halloween. I LOVE that you mentioned Acquanetta and I love you choices of "The Mummy's Ghost" "The Mummy's Curse" "The Haunting" "Captive Wild Woman" (with my girl Acquanetta) and "The Black Cat" with Karloff sporting the best smoking jacket in all of movie history. Love his hair too.

Phelps---I've seen horror movies up the whazoooo. Slasher, Jason, Freddy etc. And I saw Jamie Lee Curtis in the original "Halloween." I did see Zombie's "Halloween" and I must tell you, it was disturbing and scary. I changed my seat twice in the theatre to wind up sitting close to the exit. I don't know how it's box office is doing, but I though Zombie did a grea job.

PIPE DOWN EVELYN!! Gotta run...Evelyn Ankers is screaming again.

I love all the suggestions on here. I'm going to be adding most of these to my queue.

I was wondering, where does everyone stand on the Monster Squad?

It's been a favorite of mine since I was a child and I just got the 20th anniversary DVD and I love seeing it in widescreen.

The Frost

PrincessAnanka, what inspired choices!

Two other movies that spring to mind, that have been recently discussed on other threads:

"The Crazies" - terrific 1973 George Romero movie where a government-caused biological accident creates havoc in a small town.

"Bad Ronald" - a 1974 TV movie (I know, I know, but everyone in the "obscure movies I love" thread adores it) --- Scott Jacoby plays an artistic, sensitive teen who accidentally kills a small child. His mother Kim Hunter hides him inside the walls of the house, and then dies. The house is sold to another family who have no idea that Bad Ronald is lurking behind the wallpaper, and he's getting hungry. When I was a kid I was REALLY creeped out by this one. And remember, 70's TV movies were in many ways racier/edgier than they are today --- remember Linda Blair in "Born Innocent?"

And did anyone mention "Carrie?"

CARRIE is quite a treat. It's every bit as good as the book. I hardly ever say that! This is my favorite of Stephen King's novels. I admire the detail and depth of some of the others. SALEM'S LOT is wonderful. But the straight-forward simplicity of this one makes it impossible to put down. It's good writing. Probably DePalma's best film too. A story that has served well!

RR

Since I was a kid, it just isn't Halloween without at least some of the Universal classics.

In no particular order, my choices would include, but would not necessarily be limited to:

1. THE MUMMY'S TOMB

2. THE MUMMY'S GHOST

3. THE MUMMY'S CURSE

4. SON OF DRACULA

5. FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN

6-8 THE ORIGINAL FRANKENSTEIN "TRILOGY" with Karloff

9. THE NIGHT MONSTER

10. HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN

11. HOUSE OF DRACULA

12. THE RAVEN (1935)

13. BLACK FRIDAY

Non-Universals:

1. THE WALKING DEAD (1936)

2. THE SEVENTH VICTIM

3. ISLE OF THE DEAD

4. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

5. GHIDRAH THE THREE HEADED MONSTER

6. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS

7. THE UNDYING MONSTER

8. VALLEY OF THE ZOMBIES

9. VOODOO MAN

10. THE THING (1951)

11. STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP

12. THE HAUNTING (1963)

13. FACE OF MARBLE

And, on the lighter side:

1. ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

2. THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU

3. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN

4. MURDER HE SAYS

Of course, this list will undoubtedly change (several times) between now and then...