Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Picking your own movies to watch on Halloween

When my kids were teenagers, they loved Young Frankenstein but only got about half of the inside jokes because they hadn't seen all of the originals. So, in an attempt to be the perfect dad, I put together a little in-home film festival for them one Halloween weekend, composed of the first four films from which Mel Brooks pulled material:

Frankenstein, 1931

Bride of Frankenstein, 1935

Son of Frankenstein, 1939

Ghost of Frankenstein, 1942

followed by Young Frankenstein 1974

"Dad, this is boring! B O R I N G!" They were out the door in before the first lightning bolt climbed down Jacob's Ladder. Sigh...

So, I packed them away in their dusty little boxes, and they haven't seen the light of day since. ;-)

If I may include a more recent movie that will definitely be a classic in due time. I'd like to include The Green Mile. It not only will be a classic, it also manages to be just as good as the book. This is a movie well worth seeing time and time again and would be a great movie to watch for Halloween.

****, I'd have been inclined to force them to sit through it (sans the noisy whining); it's sort of like "eat your vegetables" or "do your homework"; kids don't know what's good for them, and they don't ALWAYS have to agree with your opinon on that... They MIGHT'VE gotten ejamukaded.

Agreed, and that would have saved me all the effort required to stuff the kids into those dusty little boxes...

What, you didn't think I'd pack away my Universal horror movies, did you?

Agreed, and that would have saved me all the effort required to stuff the kids into those dusty little boxes...

What, you didn't think I'd pack away my Universal horror movies, did you?

You kill me, SpazHoward. You are a breath of fresh air or, should I say, a breath of fresh toxic air. Yeah, toxic air is better for horror fans, especially when it's fresh.

I better run now. I'm hoping BronxGirl doesn't find out that I've escaped my cage.

Halloween film: Dementia/Daughter of Horror.

DEMENTIA? DAUGHTER OF HORROR? These movies could be ABOUT you and Bronxgirl!

I guess I'm the daughter of horror, right? Now that would truly be a horror.

You can be our narrator, Ed McMahon.

Here are a couple IMDb user comments for *Dementia/Daughter of Horror* that I believe capture the feel of the film:

This movie (originally 1953, I believe) is approachable on so many levels, it is difficult to say where to begin. We could start with the acting - Adrienne Barrett (whoever she is) is perfectly cast as the troubled, sinister, smirking, sexy anti-heroine. We could then examine the style - the mix of surrealism, expressionism, and film noir. We could then comment on the atmosphere - conjured through bleak-looking streets and unnerving music. Then there are the simple images - shadows growing and shrinking, gaunt faces, sharp contrasts between lights and darks. We might take a Freudian approach - the dysfunctional parents, the father imagery, the sexual symbols (cigars, no less!). There is also the Beat culture interest in the excellent jazz-band scene. There are also the intriguing comparisons one could make between the "silent" version and the narrated one.

As a horror movie in-itself, it may appear somewhat cheesy and overstated, but it clearly does not take itself too seriously, and you shouldn't either. Compared to other horror films I give it an 8, but due to its uncommon critical and historical appeal, I rate it overall a 9. Truly a unique achievement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the best and most intelligent films ever--although I don't think I'll be seeing it again anytime soon. I have never been so assaulted emotionally, psychologically, and intellectually by a movie. If you are looking for a fun and scary horror movie--this is NOT what you are looking for. This film is very disturbing. It is not gory, or overly graphic, just disturbing. The aesthetics of the film stretch back to early German Expressionism to 70s psychedelia. It is a bizarre mix of many things, most of which work perfectly. As you watch it, it's very easy to start judging the movie and go "Oh God, it's doing this or that". There are definately times when the movie borders on badness. But it is always one step ahead of itself, and one step ahead of you, and one step ahead of any other movie I have ever seen. The things the director does are amazing--he does things that were so ahead of his time.

The portrait of the main character is amazing. I've never felt so close to a character who completely freaked me out, as I did to her. She is SCARY--and so human in a wierd way. And that's why this movie was so good. It is not a black and white horror movie. It's not a slasher flick. It is definately trying to tell you something. Whether the final message is feminist or sexist is up for debate. This film is so well done that it's hard to tell whether it's being purposeful or exploitative. It's pointless to write more. You just have to see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047976/

The film perfectly suits "TCM Underground." It's available on DVD and I'd highly recommend checking it out. It's a film for the senses.

I have just seen, for the first time, a film and performance so horrifying, it just makes vampires, mummies, werewolves, monsters, and zombies seem like Tinker Bell's children.

Can your hearts stand the shocking truth of.......Kevin Branaugh playing Woody Allen in Woody's CELEBRITY.

The horror, the horror......the ego......the ego.....

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Frank Grimes wrote:

>You can be our narrator, Ed McMahon.

If you want to watch a frightening movie, see Ed McMahon in The Incident, in which Martin Sheen and Tony Musante terrorize a group of el train passengers one night (including Thelma Ritter, Ruby Dee, and Beau Bridges).

According to IMDb, Mr. Bette Davis and Jan Sterling also appear, although I don't recall either being one of the passengers.

Hi, Fedya -- *The Incident* is a film that's in my top ten "wish it were on DVD" list. I caught the film back in the 90s, when FMC was just starting out. I was nowhere near a "classic film" mindset then, but this harsh film captured my imagination. It's quite a frightening, claustrophobic film. It's Martin Sheen's big screen debut.

Have you ever seen Dementia?

Too bad Halloween is on a Wednesday...I have to pick a weekend to decide to have my own movie marathon..the week before or....ah...all week long, thats what I will do....a steady diet or horror all week...

Im going to get a pumpkin soon too

Like many of you, I could watch horror films all year round. But there are a few that for me just hit that particular Halloween spot at this coming time of the year, and that I always come back to:

HORROR HOTEL (1960)

THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (Castle)

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

FANTASIA

DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

THE UNINVITED

SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON

PSYCHO

THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

I MARRIED A WITCH

RETURN OF DRACULA (Francis Leder

Well, I'll try again:

HORROR HOTEL (1960)

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

FANTASIA

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

THE UNINVITED

PSYCHO

HOLD THAT GHOST

I MARRIED A WITCH

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

CURSE OF THE DEMON

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

FANTASIA

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

HOLD THAT GHOST

PSYCHO

I MARRIED A WITCH

THE UNINVITED

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

These (if they post) are in no particular or

well, here I go again, in no particular order:

HORROR HOTEL (1960)

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

FANTASIA

HOLD THAT GHOST

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

THE UNINVITED

I MARRIED A WITCH

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

PSYC

HORROR HOTEL (1960)

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

FANTASIA

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

THE UNINVITED

HOLD THAT GHOST

PSYCHO

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

I MARRIED A WITCH

RETURN OF DRACULA (Francis Lederer)

I must be a glutton for punishment; I'm gonna try again for the thousandth time: These films (if they miraculously post) are in no particular order:

HORROR HOTEL (1960)

SON OF DRACULA

THE MUMMY'S CURSE

all the Lewtons

HOLD THAT GHOST

THE UNINVITED

FANTASIA

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

I MARRIED A WITCH

BURN, WITCH, BURN!

PSYCHO

Just a reminder folks Robert Osborne will be interviewing Ann Carter---[Curse of the Cat People}

the night they have the tribute to Jaques Tournier~~I shall keep you posted for the time~

A great reminder for us all, thistledown.

It looks like I can't post my Halloween picks....