Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Picking your own movies to watch on Halloween

I will have Halloween fest for most of October, I will start it off with this- From Beyond the Grave. I havent seen this movie..

Around Halloween I am going to watch my A list of Halloween Horrors but most of the month I am going to make this a good October with horror..

Hell this Tuesday Best Buy's Horror Exclusive with Night Monster , Man Made Monster, etc debuts...

Away we go

Bronxgirl, try posting them in wrap-around format, rather that in a list (i.e.) Halloween, The Uninvited, Exorcist 3, The Changeling and so forth. I had trouble posting a list, a few days ago. It seemed to have something to do with spaces.

Thank you so much, johnm, I'll ry it now! Not that everyone is waiting with bated breath.

Okay -- in no particular order, here are movies that just hit that particular Halloween spot for me:

HORROR HOTEL (1960), SON OF DRACULA, THE MUMMY'S CURSE, HOLD THAT GHOST, DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, FANTASIA, THE UNINVITED, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, BURN,WITCH,BURN!, I MARRIED A WITCH, THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (Castle) THE RETURN OF DRACULA (Francis Lederer), and all the Lewtons.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

You kept teasing and teasing and teasing and teasing us with your list, Bronxie. What a drama queen you are! Well, at least you are always worth the drama. Always.

So which film do you think I'd love to watch with you? Consarnit! How'd you guess? I like that lady from "over the mountain." She's quite interesting. Is she related?

By the way, you know what's on TCM as I type this message, don't you?

diabolique1.jpg

Diabolique

I was EMBARRASSED that my Halloween list kept disappearing, and I don't know how many "suffering sciaticas" and "consarnits" I said to myself!! But johnm straightened it out and I don't know WHY I didn't just think to write it the way he suggested, dang it all. What a waste of posts; I apologize to everyone.

Ah, that's Vera walking down that grim French school hallway; who knows what she'll find in the bathroom.....

I watched it up until the final scenes. They still get to me.

I did take about 300 showers yesterday morning, so I won't have to go in that room for a while.

I can always brush my teeth in the kitchen sink, and when nature calls, use our clubhouse public john.

Come closer, Frank....closer....closer.....now -- get that dish rag out!

Bronxgirl48 -

Don't be too hard on yourself. There are some "interesting" style points and oddities that show up in posts on these boards. Such as -

- bullet points when you end a line with a hyphen/dash and start the following line with a hyphen/dash.

- and putting an ellipsis ( ... ) between brackets "[ ]" translates as this [...]. Don't know what that is all about.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thank you for that, Kyle, much appreciated.

Would you or anyone know how to successfully put up site links, like for instance I wanted people to see Kevin Branaugh in CELEBRITY on YouTube, but when I post the website so everyone on the message boards can just hit it and instantly get the video, it doesn't "take". How do I do that so people can just click on it?

The Geneva Convention expressly prohibits the torturing of prisoners of war with repeated showings of CELEBRITY. Even one viewing is considered cruel and inhumane.

I'm a Woody Allen fan. But when he misses, he misses big time! This may be his worst movie.

I'm glad to see that someone else has mentioned "Seance on a Wet Afternoon." While it may not exactly be a horror movie, it certainly is creepy. The house stuffed with all that bric-a-brac creates an atmosphere of suffocation, and Richard Attenborough reminds me of how Norman Bates was portrayed in the novel "Psycho."

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed this on Halloween, Mike; nice to hear your comments.

Kim Stanley has a tendency to overact in the Method manner (and that's putting it mildly) but it works here. Richard Attenborough was just born to play this kind of part.

OMG, I left out PSYCHO on my list!

Please let this be duly noted by all.

(the "senior" moments are creeping up....)

I'd also like to tune all you guys into some GREAT Bela Lugosi scenes from SCARED TO DEATH on YouTube, but I'm having trouble posting that link here for the video.

Drat.

My mother and I went to see Seance on a Wet Afternoon, and it became one of our favorite films. For years, we felt as if we were part of a secret club, because we never knew anyone else who had seen the film. For a film where the leading actress was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, you'd think it would have been better known. And I'm talking about 1964, not today!

>Bela Lugosi scenes from SCARED TO DEATH on YouTube, but I'm having trouble posting that link here for the video.

Just post a link:

Oh, Fred, thank you so much -- I tried to post this link, but it just wouldn't take.

Can I prevail upon you to put up the Kenneth Branaugh in CELEBRITY one on YouTube? I can't seem to get THAT one up as well.

What I am doing wrong??

Hopefully TCM will run it sooner rather than later, so other people can get "into" it.

When I tried to post that SCARED TO DEATH link, there wasn't any other letter after "zh".

Same thing with the Branaugh link, there's nothing after "ld".

I'm such an idiot, I'm not getting the technology of it...

The Branaugh CELEBRITY clip imo is more horrifying than THE EXORCIST and DIABOLIQUE put together.

Fiddlesticks Bronxgirl...after my one failed attempt at creating a bold font, I decided to compose my messages Melville-style...that's Jean-Pierre Melville-style. You know...nuthin' fancy. Pretty good reference...eh?

And, Seance On A Wet Afternoon (see...I make no bold font) is available on dvd. Fairly good video presentation. Audio only so-so. Disk could use English sub-titles option.

Here is where I break my credibility...movie opinion-wise. A movie I would watch on Halloween is a fairly recent movie...Blair Witch Project. That movie has some pretty creepy scenes. Stick folk art gives me the shivers for a reason I don't wish to discuss right now.

Rusty

At first I thought you were referencing Moby Dick, lol, but then my brain came around to French gangster movies....

I tend to get motion sickness pretty easily, so THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is not one of my favorites, what with those vertiginous camera angles. (I'm getting nauseous just thinking about them....)

I think I can understand your stick folk art horror; it's kind of like Amish-noir, sort of?

Sorry, Fred, don't mean to have you doing my "work" re those links....

So, everybody, click on YouTube and "Kenneth Branaugh in Celebrity".

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Bronxgirl,

Amish-noir? No, not the reason for the unease I feel when viewing pagan geometric forms. However, I like your choice of genre...Amish-noir.

Talking about folk art horrors. Yesterday, I was looking through a junk store and placed right next to the front entrance hung a pair of lamps I classify as a couple of true horrors. Like the hanging sticks, my look at those lamps caused me a great deal of unease. I will describe lamps. Motif...faux Victorian...uh, no make that New Orleans whorehouse colors and faux Victorian over-abundance of design elements. In fact, the hanging lamp horrors could be stripped of half their gee-gaws and what-nots and STILL be overdone. Oh, boy.

Here is another movie choice for viewing at Halloween...Eyes Of Fire (1983). Get past the Six Million Dollar Man sound effects and a couple of really goofy visual effects and this movie is fairly creepy. Deep woods witch lore is the take off point for the Eyes Of Fire story.

Rusty

Amish noir to me is like a sub heading under American folk tale horrors, a superb example of the latter being THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER. What was that movie with Ernie Borgnine as an Amish father who didn't want his daughter leaving the community? And the one where scary things happened underneath floorboards, with demons or bodies popping up willy nilly?

I'll check out EYES OF FIRE; thanks for the tip.

I like Americana horrors, like HARVEST HOME, THE OTHER, etc.

You know that objects are not just static, but are living and breathing THINGS, with their own spirit inside them. Like you, I'm very sensitive to the appearance of the (supposedly) inanimate.

Your description of those pseudo-Victorian bordello lamps was giving me the creeps.

I'll probably have nightmares about them tonight, along with ghastly visions of Kenneth Branaugh as Woody Allen in CELEBRITY.