Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHERE LOVE HAS GONE -- came and went (sob)

Due to the stresses and strains of the previous day's interactions with relatives, funerals, family dinners and feuds, I exhaustingly slept through the alarm that was set for WHERE LOVE HAS GONE. I didn't exactly call up my "loved" ones and say "YOU SEE? Not only did you give me agida, but you made me miss Bette Davis, Susan Hayward, and Joey Heatherton all in one movie!!" but, I'm quietly fuming now...

So, did anyone record this and/or get up early to watch it?

I dozed on and off through THE SHAGGY D.A. but it was fascinating -- made in 1976, and the title song references the Nixon White House and "tricks", and the restoration of trust in government. Mildly amusing the first half, then it peters out

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Oh, Bronxgirl, what a glorious piece of trash you missed. Susan Hayward ACTING so over-the-top it's a miracle the set didn't burst into flames, Joey Heatherton sent to apparently permanent lockdown reform school after being acquitted of murder (apparently juveniles can still be imprisoned after acquittal), and Bette Davis being Very Bette Davis.

I can't do justice to this masterpiece, but read the funny rundown at

http://www.coolcinematrash.com/movies/wherelovehasgone.htm

Why do people always say Susan Hayward overacts, yet not that Bette Davis does? They are exactly alike, two peas in the same pod. The only difference is Susan's voice is a lower timbre. The funny think about this movie is the fact that everybody, including Joey smoked, yet not Bette!!! Total soap opera is correct, and poor Mike Connors gets completely lost in the shuffle. Don't forget the time of the movie folks, kids weren't tried in adult criminal court at the time, so the court had to find some way to punish her, but if anybody needed punishment, it was Grandma who should have been poked once or twice with a cattle prod.

Anne

Bette Davis completely overacts. ALWAYS! Where Love Has Gone, was horribly presented. It was cropped! Not even pan and scan, just cropped, with faded, fuzzy color and picture. Truly a horrible presentation. Too bad they couldn't get a proper print of this great, lurid soap, that I cannot believe I actually saw during its original release.

I loved it and found it fascinating BECAUSE

1] it was based on the Lana Turner-- Johnny Stompanato fiasco

2] Bette Davis - silver wigged and looking devine got to say "Somewhere along the line the world has lost all it's standards of good taste" [while sitting in the ugliest chair--holding a teacup]

3] Everything Susan Hayward said looked like it needed a caption baloon over her head,

with the words inside.

4] Jane Greer played the social worker who told Mike Connors" most girls your daughters age are still virgins"--a far cry from her role as Kathy Moffat !

5] It was nice to see Joey Heatherton again,[i always got her mixed up with Tuesday Weld]

6] Did you know Michael Connors nickname was 'Touch' ?

7] when Bette Davis was on the screen, she stole the scene.

Hopefully TCM will program it again soon --- I'm tempted to get the DVD, it was so much fun. Wouldn't you love to see a day of these overwrought, over-the-top kinds of movies? It could go alongside Peyton Place, Valley of the Dolls, Imitation of Life and the other Douglas Sirk's, .

etc.

And two trashtastic goodies I've been wishing for for a while --- Joan Crawford in Torch Song and Elke Sommer in The Oscar.

Yes, Chip, perhaps TCM will. I saw THE OSCAR decades ago; a true classic!! Never had the pleasure of seeing TORCH SONG

I'll second a Sirk day; I'll also recommend SUSAN SLADE, A SUMMER PLACE, and MY BLOOD RUNS COLD.. I know, it's a lot of Troy Donahue to take....

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl, I can take all the Troy Donahue you wanna dish out.

I'm glad others brought up "Touch"/"Mannix" --- he's great, and I also thought the same, but it's hard to shine next to Bette & Susan trying to outperform each other. Apparently Bette & Hayward LOATHED each other, which might explain the way their acting seemed to be so "top this!"

Too bad that that TCM could not get a properly letterboxed 2.35:1 print of WHERE LOVE HAS GONE. Sadly it was pan and scan. Must be because its Paramount. COME BLOW YOUR HORN has been shown many times, but only pan and scan. Any chance of seeing letterboxed prints of these anytime soon?

I'm sorry I missed it too. And where is Joey Heatherton!! The last time I saw her she was "speaking in tongue" and married to Joe Dallesandro in John Water's "Cry Baby." Of course, there was the layout in Playboy.

Her last movie was some strange, experimental movie called "Reflections Of Evil" in 2002. She was billed as the "Serta Spokeswoman."

Read about it here, but be prepared to be confused...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350044/

There's also another interesting movie from MGM called "Twilight Of Honor." Joey received a Golden Globe nomination for this movie-for best newcomer. It also received a couple of Oscar nods-for best art direction and Nick Adams for supporting actor.

I wonder why this never shows up on TCM...

Bizarre movies...I seem to remember Joey Heatheron doing Serta commercials on t.v. It also took me a long time to reconcile the fact that this sexpot was the daughter of our friendly Ray Heatherton, the "Merry Mailman" we watched back in the day in the Bronx. I'm not quite sure why I could never make that connection.

I didn't know she was married to Joe Dallesandro. He was pretty enigmatic and sexy in BLACK MOON.

Yes, that's true. Apparently Bette and the director (Dymtryk?) were making changes in the script, trying to make it better, Susan found out about it and that ended that. After that they barely spoke to each other...........

Joey and Dallesandro were married in the movie ("Cry-Baby".) Joey and Ray also had a short lived TV variety show in '75 called "Joey And Dad." Pat Paulsen and Henny Youngman were also on it. Joey's brother, Dick, was a radio dj in the '70's/'80's.

Here's Jill Sobule's tribute to "Joey-"

The Merry Mailman????? My gosh..havent' thought about him for years. (WPIX, right?) Now you're making me think of Chuck McCann. (Didn't he pretend to be Little Orphan Annie) and let's not forget Soupy Sales (White Fang, Black Tooth) or Shari Lewis and Lambchops or Jerry Mahoney or...

You brought back memories Bronxgirl.

"Where Love Has Gone" was an absolute hoot. I didn't hear too much shouting but it was a sordid, tawdry schlocky wonderful mess. It had a lot of great stars; at least to me it was great seeing Jane Greer and Ann Doran in the film. Joey Heatherton...ouch!

Keeping their head above all the swill was Davis & Hayward. I LOVED THE FILM!!!