Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dredagain

ZELIG was ruined

lousy transmission of picture and sound ruined this one, which I taped..... The last 20 minutes were almost impossible to watch with broken up picture and disappearing sound......

I think this is a terrific mockumentary long before computer crap made this sort of thing trite. It took 3 years to create this fil . Gordon Willis did a superb job in blending old newsreel footage with the new sections and the sound editing is also super. There's a totally wonderful moment of film when a news clip shows Fanny Brice singing "I'm Flying High" (a great song by Fats Waller) with a line about Leonard Zelig edited it and it's flawless. It's so well done it seems trivial. There's also a nice song "Chameleon Days" sung by Mae Questel but in the style of Helen Kane. Questel of course was the voice of Betty Boop, the cartoon take-off on Kane. This is not Woody Allen's best comedy but it's such a clever little film, it's irresistible.

"Zelig" may have been "ruined" in that particular telecast but I urge you to rent it (available on DVD and VHS) or track it down somehow.

Brilliant in every way, hysterically funny and certainly one of Woody's most imaginative offerings.

My favorite line remains, "He married me up at the first Church of Harlem. He told me he was the brother of Duke Ellington."

The whole film is a marvel. Even in the deliberately faded and scratchy "newsreel" footage,

Mia Farrow gives a very poignant performance.

"Zelig" certainly deserves the raves that were heaped upon it when it was originally released in 1983.

Who was the man known as The Human Chameleon?

This is a good film. It's different and challenging. And, like all Woody's best, there's a soft sensitivity amid the humor. All in all, though, I prefer BROADWAY DANNY ROSE, his next movie. The concept of ZELIG is fine. But the realistic approach better holds my attention. "Danny" is the closest thing to screwball comedy to come out of the modern era.

RR

ya I love BROADWAY DANNY ROSE.... oh how I wish the great Milton Berle had had a real part.... but it's one of Woody's very best comedies.....