Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just For Jane

Yesterday we lost one of our beloved stars, Jane Wyman. Jane paid her dues at Warners Brothers acting in A and B movies. A few highlights were "Brother Rat" and "Princess O`Rourke". Janes`s luck changed in 1945 when on a loanout to Paramount, she turned in a fine dramatic perfromance as the loyal girlffiend to alcholohic Ray Milland in Billy Wilder`s "The Lost Weekend". Next game her role ast the sterrn by loving mother in "The Yearling" 1946". The good roles kept coming "Magic Town" "Stage Fright", and "The Glass Menagerie". In 1948 Jane won the Academy Award for playing a deaf mute in "Johnny Belinda". In the early fifties Jane showed her fans that she could sing too in "Here Comes The Groom" and "Just For You". "So Big", The Blue Veil, and the memorable Douglas Sirk films "Magnificient Obsession and "All That Heaven Allows" kept Jane a box office draw.In 1959 Jane played Aunt Polly to orphan Hayley Mills in "Pollyanna". Jane, will always be remembered by her fans.

I AGREE!

When a star dies the whole day should be devoted to them , and since TCM has quite a few Jane films, they should be showing them all on Friday.

The movies should be on in the evening too, don't know why it is done like that..very odd , but i will be recording a couple that i haven't seen since i won't be home to watch them. FG

Sorry, I didn`t mean to confuse anyone with the title "Just For Jane". The media coverage was so disappointing, and this is my favorite site of the three. I choice the title because I enjoyed Jane`s performance in "Just for You". This movie showed that Jane could sing and dance, and she had a beautiful figure. It was a nice musical too with Jane helping Bing Crosby rediscover his children, Natalie Wood and Bob Arthur. The NY Times had the best article wrtitten today about Jane.

I was channel surfing late at night and came across this apparent t.v. movie with Lindsay Wagner as a doctor who falls ill and is in this mountain cabin with Jane Wyman, who superbly plays this old country woman with a lot of folk remedies.

I watched a bit of it, and Jane was outstanding, but it was late and I fell asleep.

Anyone know what this was? I believe "Journey" was in the title.

Hi Bronxgirl48,

The movie you speak of is called The Incredible Journey Of Dr.Meg Laurel.

It is from 1979 and was a 3 hour CBS TV SPECIAL.

It was a huge huge ratings winner, and was a very important tv movie for two reasons..

It marked the first outing for Lindsay Wagner in a tv movie drama, after her hit series The Bionic Woman had ended, and it was a return to television for Jane Wyman, who was said to have loved the script and wanted to work with Wagner.

It is very well done, and a really great movie, and Jane & Lindsay are wonderful together on screen.

Two superb actress's in a first rate production.

Although this title is still not available on dvd, VHS copy can still be found on Amazon, Ebay...and Encore Drama channel airs the movie pretty often.

Jane is really wonderful in it. FG

1363787647_1b2593134f_o.jpg

Hi Bronx girl, I watched "The Incredible Journey Of Meg Laurel" when it was originally broadcast. I was a big "Bionic Woman" fan because of Lindsay Wagner. We are the same age. The ladies were wonderful together. The only time I see Lindsay now is on a commercial advertising a comfort mattress. I am going to the main branch of the library downttown today. Maybe I can find some videos of Jane.

Hi Forevever Garland, Thank you for the pics of Jane. Unfortunately, I have never seen "Lucy Gallant". Last night I found my tape of "Magnificent Obsession". Jane deserved her nomination as best actress. Rock Hudson became a bone fide movie star with this movie. The scene when Helen knew that Robbie was Bob Merrick was so moving.

Your very welcome, Bronx Girl. Today I went to the main library downtown, They had a nice display of three Jane Wyman dvd`s encircling a lovely photo of her. The titles that the librarian in the media room chose were "The Lost Weekend", "The Yearling", and "All That Heaven Allows". It was a nice selection of Jane`s growth as an actress.

CASHETTE: "Hi Bronx girl, I watched "The Incredible Journey Of Meg Laurel" when it was originally broadcast. I was a big "Bionic Woman" fan because of Lindsay Wagner. We are the same age. The ladies were wonderful together. The only time I see Lindsay now is on a commercial advertising a comfort mattress. I am going to the main branch of the library downttown today. Maybe I can find some videos of Jane."

I don't remember this tv movie, but the title rings a bell. I, too, was a big Lindsay Wagner fan. Loved her in "The Paper Chase" with my crush of the time Timothy Bottoms ("The Last Picture Show" "Roller- coaster" "Johnny Got His Gun.") She apppeared briefly in the Denzel Washington / John Lithgow thriller. (The title escapes me). It's a shame to see her doing the mattress commercials, but I guess a girl's gotta make a living. Big fan of hers. (I know this is supposed to be about Jane...but she'll get her tribute this Friday).

FG, Jane was laid to rest on Wednesday, September 12, 2007. Michael Reagan spoke, and her grandson Cameron was a pallbearer. Entertainment Weekly had a short rememberance of Jane`s career in the new issue. The only movie that I was able to watch today was "Here Comes The Groom". Jane made a fine singing partner for Bing. My favorite scene was Jane and Bing singing "In The Cool Cool Cool Of The Evening" and moving from the office, to the hall, elevator, and outside. Thanks for the pic.

I also was able to see Here Comes The Groom which i have on dvd, but really love the movie.

I saw Let's Do It Again for the first time, and liked it alot also..Jane really could do it all..

The TCM Tribute that is played is a bit too short, but the music they play with the clips always gets me choked up..Jane will be missed....Very Much! FG

Hi Cinemaven, I kept searching the internet to find out when Jane`s funeral was held. It bothered me that the news coverage was so meager. People Magazine wrote a small paragraph that`s all. TCM could have chosen better movies, but Jane`s tribute was put together quickly. I will make my own tribute to Jane. This week I watched "Magnificient Obsession" and "Here Comes The Groom". Next I will watch "Just For You". Thank goodness for a vcr.

Hi FG, Maybe you own the same dvd that I do. "Here Comes The Groom" and "Just For You" are on one dvd. My vcr will play but not record so I called my son in Ga. to record Jane`s movies for me. I realize that she was 90, but we still felt sad about her passing. They don`t make stars like they used to.

I agree that the music played in the TCM tribute to stars passing (rain-soaked car window] does choke me up as well. I think I'd go with "Magnificent Obsession " and the other one with Rock Hudson where he's a gardner. Tooo sooon to lose her. Rest in peace.

The film that you referred to is "All That Heaven Allows".Critics say that this film holds up better than "Magnificient Obsession", but I enjoy both films. Agnes Moorehead costarrted in these two films, and she also played Jane`s aunt in "Johnny Belinda".