Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just For Jane

Unfortunately, I didn`t see "Dark Passage" because I was working. A few weeks ago I watched "Caged" with Eleanor Parker, and Agnes gave a sensitive portrayal as the prison superintendant. She wasn`t afraid to put Hope Emerson in her place. Agnes played a mean reculse in "Pollyanna" so I will see her in Jane and Hayley Mills movie.Ms. Moorehead could play any character role to perfection.

Unfortunately, I missed "Dark Passage" A few months ago I watched "Caged" starrting Eleanor Parker, and Agnes Moorehead gave a sensitive portrayal as the prison superintendant. She wasn`t afraid of standing up to Hope Emerson who towered over her. I will be watching Agnes soon in "Pollyanna" which starrted Jane and Hayley Mills. She played a grumpy old woman. Agnes could play any character part to perfection.

Cinemaven, Sorry for the double post. I didn`t think that the first one got thru.It was very disapponting to read that you weren`t able to get a ticket for "Leave Her to Heaven". Life isn`t fair sometimes, and you had posted valuable imfo about the screen. I felt bad for you.

Hi FG, While I was browsing the Border`s.com dvd link to amazon.com, more of Jane`s title`s have been added since her passing. "Magic Town" Magnificent Obsession", and "All That Heaven Allows" are now available for sale in used copies.

Hi FG, Last night I finally watched "Just For You". Personally the movie did more for me than "Here Comes The Groom". Jane and Bing sang "Zing A Little Zong For Me" and the rest of the score was tuneful including the title song. Natalie Wood was Bing`s 13 year old daughter and Ethel Barrymore was the headmistress of the all girs schools that Natalie wanted to attend. Bing 18 year old son wanted to follow in his Dad`s footsteps and become a songwriter. Jane played the star of Bing`s new Broadway musical. Edith Head designed a beautiful wardrobe for Jane including a wedding gown. An enjoyable movie!

Hi Forever Garland, I taped "Miracle In The Rain", but I haven`t seen the movie recently. My next Jane movie will be "A Kiss In The Dark". Last night I watched "The Lady Takes A Sailor". The movie was foolish, but I can watch any movie that stars Jane and Eve Arden. I went to Michael Reagan`s website, and he wrote an eloquent column tribute to his mother entitled "Tough Love". When Micael was ten, he asked his mother for a ten speed Schwinn bicycle. Jane would not buy Michael the bike, but they worked out a deal. Michael was able to get a paper route with the purchase of the bicycle, and he could pay his mother back. Jane told Michael that she made men not boys. Michael credits his dad for his politics, but his mom for making him the man that he is today. Let`s hope that TCM will show some of Jane`s better movies on her birthday January 4.

Hi Forever Garland, Tonight I watched Jane costar in Larceny Inc. 1942. Edward G. Robinson was the star, and Jane played his adopted daughter. It was a hilarious comedy, and I laughed throughout the movie. Eddie G., Broderick Crawford, and Edward Brophy were three ex cons who buy a luggage store next to a bank. Eddie gives all the orders, Ed Brophy likes to run the counter, and Broderick does the drilling in the basement so the boys can break into the bank`s vault. Eddie G. and Broderick are so funny, and Jane is wise to their scheme. Jane tries to keep the boys busy by running sales for the store to bring customers in. Her plan works. Eddie G. was surprized that Jane didn`t become a star earlier, and Jane enjoyed working with him.She a blone in this movie, but she looked better as a brunette.

Cashette, there are a few tapes i am going to order myself,i hate to get more VHS around to store, but i am so sick of waiting for the DVD's to come out on so many movies that i am ordering some.Actually it's not too bad most of them are pretty darn cheap for the most part, but if it's a real hard to find title i have seen asking prices of 40 - 60 dollars...that is totally nuts! FG

Hi Forever Garland, My "Magic Town" video arrived in the mail today. I just finished watching the movie, and the quality of the tape was fine. My order was placed through at bookstore in Frederick,Md. James Stewart was Lawrence "Rip" Smith a pollster who comes to Grandview and finds the perfect average American town. Jane Wyman plays Mary Petterman the acting editor of Grandview`s newspaper. Ann Shoemaker played Jane`s mother, and Regis Toomey Ann Doran, Wallace Ford, Donald Meek, and in his last film Ned Sparks round out the fine supporting cast. Rip Smith isn`t a typical Jimmy Stewart role, and it was a change of pace for director William Wellman. "Magic Town" was enjoyable to watch, and I am happy with my purchase.

Hello all,

For anyone interested..Jane's rarely seen movie from 1979 with Lindsay Wagner..The Incredible Journey Of Dr. Meg Laurel , is again being shown on the Encore Drana Channel.

I was home today and watched it this afternoon, and it will be shown again Tomorrow early am hours..east coast time is 1:30 am so if you get this Channel you may want to record it as it is still not on DVD, and one of Jane's finest roles. FG

Hi FG, Thanks for imfo, but I don`t receive Encore. If I switch back to digital from Time Warner, they carry Encore, but only that channel of Encore. I receive a station called movieplex. The only good days are Mondays when some older classic movies are shown and Wed. when Westerns are shown. How pleased I am that you were able to see Meg Laurel. Forever Garland, you have been a loyal friend to my three sites, Doris, Loretta, and Jane.

Hi Forever Garland, I just signed up for YouTube a free service. Miss Goddess posted the link on my Doris Day site. Jane Wyman had three clips posted from "Here Comes The Groom", "Let`s Do It Again", and "Just For You". The clips were all of Jane singing in a duet wih Bing and solo in "Let Do It Again". Jane had a lovely voice, the talent, and the figure. It is unfortunate that Warner Brothers did not give her the opportunity to show this side of her earlier. Many of the films that Jane worked in the 1940`s were dumb. I could not stand her character in "The Doughgirls".

Hi Forever Garland, The January 2008 schedule has been posted, and six movies will be shown on Jane`s birthday, January 4. "Flight Angel", "Torchy Plays With Dynamite", "Brother Rat And A Baby", "Tugboat Annie Sails Again", "Crime By Night", and "Larceny Inc". "Let`s Do It Again" will be shown on January 9th, "The Yearling" on January 12th, and "Johnny Belinda" on January 13th. January will be a good month for Jane`s fans.

Hi cashette,

yes January already sounds good to me!

I haven't seen a whole lot of Jane's movies but the more i see the more i like.

A favorite is easily Here Comes The Groom..i really love that movie!

Yes Jane sure did sing very well, i too am amazed that a major label never went after her to do some albums..unless she may have not wanted to..but too bad even so.

I have alot of old lp's by classic stars singing, and many are really very good..some get re issued, but sadly many don't.

Looking forward to January! FG

When I was a kid, you couldn't pay me to watch a film with Jane Wyman. I think I saw Johnny Belinda, and decided I just didn't like her. She just wasn't what I wanted to see. I spent a long time avoiding her pictures, but one day I watched Stage Fright, and fell in love with her. I've loved her ever since.

Hi FG, I have heard Jane sing in the two movies that she made with Bing Crosby, and "Let`s Do It Again". YouTube.com has some nice clips of Jane singing from these three movies at her site. I keep playing "Call Of The Wild" and "Takin A Slow Burn" from "Let`s Do It Again". Jane was a good singer, and she looked beautiful in the strapless gowns that she wore. It was while making this movie that she met her last husband,Fred Karger who was a vocal coach at Columbia Studios. Fred also cowrote the song "Reenlistment Blues" that was heard in "From Here To Eternity".

Yes John, my vcr will be busy in January when Jane`s movies are shown. I have not seen some of the titles that they will be showing on her birthday, so it will be a special treat for me. Hopefully the first season of "Falcon Crest" will be released soon on dvd.

Hi Johnm, Last night I watched "Miracle In The Rain" 1956. Jane played a lonely woman who cares for ailing and embittered mother. She has two things in her life work and home until she meets Van Johnson. He is a soldier on a days pass in NYC, and they meet in the rain. The movie takes place during World War II, and the screenplay was by Ben Hecht. I love seeing movies filmed on location, and there are many great shots of NYC. "Miracle In The Rain" might be classified as a soap opera, but it is a very good one.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to another thread a screening of "the Blue Veil" will be shown at the Museum Of Modern Art in NYC. The film will be shown as part of a tribute to Joan Blondell from December 19-January 1. Jane was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance, and Joan was nominated in the supporting category. I wish that this movie could be shown on TCM. The author of the new book on Joan Blondell has seen the movie, and he wrote that it was wonderful. The Blue Veil was Jane Wyman`s third best actress nomination. Hope that some of the fans who live in NYC will be able to see this film.