Magnificent Seven

Big Hand For the Little Lady

Outlaw Josey Wales

Once Upon A Time in West

The Shootist

Tombstone (Kurt Russell)

Stage Coach (Wayne)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Your list is a good one, and I'll try not to duplicate it;;-) But there are several of mine that aren't on your list, in no particular order:

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Outlaw Josey Wales (but certainly NOT Unforgiven)

High Noon

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Red River

The Ox-Bow Incident

Shane

The thing I love about Westerns are, many times, the values they portray, the struggles, and the perseverance of the individual (in many cases) over "evil".

• 2 months later...

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, but pretty much any John Ford picture!

Then again, some of my favorite Westerns aren't Westerns, most notably Star Wars.

I was watching "High Noon" this morning, and began to realize that one of my other favorite westerns, "Dirty Harry", is really a remake of "High Noon". The final scenes are almost identical.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

The Searchers (1956, Ford)

The Gunfighter (1950, King)

The Long Riders (1980, Hill)

The Big Trail (1930, Walsh)

Red River (1948, Hawks)

Rio Bravo (1959, Hawks)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962, Ford)

Johnny Guitar (1954, Ray)

The Shootist (1976, Siegel)

Once Upon a Time in the West (1969, Leone)

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971, Altman)

• 1 month later...

I don't really watch Westerns, as they seem to have one of two plots. But I did watch one, as it starred one of my favorite actors--Chester Morris. It was called "Three Godfathers" (1936) and I really loved it!! Very interesting and quite a surprise because one doesn't associate Chester Morris and Western being in the same sentence, but this was a GREAT film!! Too bad he was not nominated for an Oscar for it.

John Wayne also did a western called "3 Godfathers" and now I wonder if it was a remake? I love westerns though and being particular to the DUKE I thought I might suggest a few.

The Searchers

Red River

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

There are many more great Wayne westerns but I really love these and each I think have an original quality to them.

Westerns without The DUKE

"Unforgiven" Clint Eastwood

"Tombstone"

"Lone Star" saw that this morning with Clark Gable

"Shane"

Sergio Leone westerns

• 1 month later...

Wow your right about Sone Age. My family just watched that a while back about the same time we watched the Wayne version of Three Godfathers. I still didn't make the connection. Duh, to me. lol

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten about The Cowboys - I loved this movie as a kid and still do today. Another movie I just saw on the Western Channel - Warlock with Widmark, Fonda, & Quinn. I had forgotten how much I ejoyed this film.

Two other films that I would add to my list that are more or less westerns are Man From Snowy River & Quigley Down Under.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh this is a tough one, I love so many westerns that it's hard to decide but "The Duke" is right up there.

True Grit

The Cowboys

The Shootist

Rio Bravo

Stagecoach

McLintock, Maureen O'Hara and the Duke are wonderful in this one.

Tombstone (Val Kilmer and Sam Elliot)

Death Rides A Horse (Lee Van Cleef)

The Good, Bad, and The Ugly

Along The Great Divide (Kirk Douglas/Virginia Mayo)

The Naked Spur (James Stewart, Janet Leigh)

Outlaw Jose Whales

The Quick and The Dead( sharon Stone, Jene Hackman)

The Villain (Kirk Douglas, Ann Marget and Arnold Schwarzenegger)

The Villain is a comedy western (the first one to my knowledge that Kirt Douglas made) it is a hoot.

• 1 month later...

My list is slightly different. I like the Ford westerns, but not the John Wayne ones so much.

I'd pick The Searchers (I know, John Wayne) and My Darling Clementine from Ford.

I really think the late Randolph Scott dark Westerns are great, especially The Tall T and Ride Lonesome.

I also like Unforgiven (Eastwood, not Lancaster) and Outlaw Josey Wales.

Hell's Hinges is a great movie, let alone Western and William S. Hart is excellent against the typecasting of movies like Tumbleweeds.

Ulzana's Raid is first rate, too.

AB

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man that's a hard one I like so many.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Big Country, The Professionals, The Wild Bunch, The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon A Time in the West, Dodge City, The Alamo, Rio Bravo, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Violent Men,

The Man From Laramie, Pale Rider, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Dances With Wolves, Quigley Down Under, Hangem High, High Noon, Ride the High Country, Jeremiah Johnson, The Outlaw Josey Wales (you gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie?) Destry Rides Again, Two Rode Together, How the West Was Won, Duel at Diablo, Hondo, Barquero, Captain Apache, Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More. Annie Caulder (only because Culp is a real gunslingn' legend. Welch helps.?.) True Grit.

Technically Hildago is a western too, based on a real western dude.

My favorite two most favorite cowboys are Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea. Some of my favorite westerns are:

The Tall T, Buchannan Rides Alone, Colorado Territory, The Outriders, Stars In My Crown, Saddle Tramp, The Tall Stranger, Stranger on Horseback. Just to name a few.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 titles conspicous by their absence from previous lists:

Hombre....("You can be chure I moved.")

Rio Conchos....("Friend,you're not listening.")

Richard Boone enriched every movie he appeared in.

"Cicero Grimes,meet John Russell."

• 3 weeks later...

I admit I have alot of problems with John Wayne.....but "The Searchers" is certainly one of the best westerns I ever saw. To me, it is so well done it transcends westerns and moves easily right into one of the finest films of any sort.

I haven't seen it in awhile and look forward to its next showing.

Archived