Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

favorite westerns

Boone excelled at playing bad guys. He was so sinister. Nobody played mean like him. Dan Duryea was nasty but a different kind. Maybe because he was so subdued it made him seem all the more dangerous.

I think Duryea's the cat's meow. A very original interpretations of the bad guy in the western is his performance as Whitey in Night Passage. Every time I see that film I can't help but crack up. He's so funny. I've recently introduced a friend of mine to Duryea and now he's become a bit of an in-joke with us whenever we see someone as slickly creepy. For a quiet family guy, Duryea could sure pull off sadistic.

Sadistic is a good word. I always thought him as creepy too. They go together well. I think TCM did a portrait on him recently as heard he was a kind family man as well. I saw him in "Along Came Jones" with Cooper recently and even in what is mostly a laid back film he manages to be both in that one. He must have played a good guy somewhere but he well over shadowed that with his "bad" roles. He's fun to watch.

I liked that evening, although my provider decided the signal wasn't good enough during Thunder Bay (but I was getting the impression he was up-to-par for creepiness) and twenty-minutes of it was a blank screen. Thankfully, it's on again in March. I think he's okay in The Flight of the Phoenix, although I only got halfway through it and haven't returned to it yet. I've got of one of TV appearances, a Cavalcade of America presentation called The Frightened Witness, and he's a super-nice guy in that. One never knows...

It's funny we got talking about Duryea. I saw part of a "Bonanza" epsiode on Saturday and there he was. They wouldn't even cut him a break on TV. He cheated in a gunfight. Same old sleazy Dan.

P.S. It's been awahile since I've seen the two you mentioned so I'll keep a look out for them.

That's awesome! Good to know he was sleazy and underhanded in it. What a guy! I caught Ball of Fire the other night, which I haven't seen for awhile (even though I've got it on VHS), and forgot he was in it, and sleazy and underhanded to boot! You gotta love it.

The Searchers

The who shot Liberty Valance

Red River

The Wild Bunch

Duel in the sun

The Professionals

The Big Country

Cheyenne Autumn

Hondo

Blood on the moon

Pursued

I'm still pretty new on the board but here is my top ten westerns.

1. The Searchers (simply the best)

2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance ("I'll get it, Liberty")

3. Red River (has Wayne ever been such a prick?)

4. Three Godfathers (you got to read Carey's book!)

5. My Darling Clementine (Fonda and a chair)

6. Open Range (Duvall's presence makes up for Costner)

7. How the West was Won (Eli Wallach & Lee van Cleef!)

8. Lonesome Dove (Duvall at his best)

9. Tombstone (for Val Kilmer)

10. Rio Bravo (Walter Brennan's best role)

The only two westerns I own are

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

and

Rio Bravo

Whenever I see either of these movies on I have to watch them.

I enjoy it too. The ladies are pretty rugged. Another movie with Robert Taylor, if you like him, from the same time period is "The Law and Jake Wade" with Richard Widmark. Since Widmark seems to be much loved here I thought I'd pu this out there. It airs March 7 at 3:45.

I thought of a coupleof pretty good ones with Kirk Douglas "Man Without a Star" and "The Last Train From Gun Hill".

"Last Train From Gun Hill" is a pretty good Western. I think it's interesting to watch Douglas & Quinn together in light of how they worked together in "Lust For Life" a coule of years before. I also like "Gunfight At The OK Corral" also directed by John Sturges.

Other good Westerns that aren't shown that often are "The Fastest Gun Alive" and "3:10 to Yuma" both with Glenn Ford. Some of the best westerns are the Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann westerns from the 50s.

I did, but only for a moment. I have the DVD. I hadn't even heard of this one unitl about a year or so ago. It was good enough and I figured rare enough I better have my own copy. I thought Borgnine's character was interesting and an unusual part for him.

There was also "The Hanging Tree", "Garden of Evil" and "Vera Cruz" while we're on Cooper. "Springfield Rifle" is a lesser one but ok.

Ever seen "The Tin Star" with Henry Fonda and Tony Perkins?

Many times. There was also "the Lonely Man" with Jack Palance and Anthony Perkins playing father And son.

Never seen that one. Always looking for new westerns to watch. If you have any other lesser known pass them on. How about "Rawhide" with Tyrone Power.

The Gunfighter, with Gregory Peck and Millard Mitchell

Rio Bravo, with John Wayne, Walter Brennan, Ricky Nelson, and Angie Dickinson

and Dean Martin

El Dorado, with Robert Mitchum and John Wayne