Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

favorite westerns

I wouldn't actually put in a "Westerns" category but was responding to michellej's list. I know some have put in a modern western category but I'd leave it in "drama."

Hi I saw this movie for the first time and it had me on the edge of my seat .Suspense from the get go and what a cast,as soon as Spencer Tracy steps off the train in the deserted old town you know something is up . I just watched Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner the other night (not a western of course) but a superb film and great acting with Mr Tracy.I watched Ride The High Country for the first time and loved it

I find my favorite Westerns depend on an unique storyline and setting. Usually avoid the Stranger-Rides-into-Town scenarios as I like scenery and cinematography that captures it. In no particular order, here's my list:

The Grey Fox, Richard Farnsworth

Tom Horn, Steven McQueen, Slim Pickens, Richard Farnsworth

Hombre, Paul Newman, Richard Boone, Frederic March

The Last Hunt, Stewart Granger, Robert Taylor

Hannah Lee, John Ireland, MacDonald Carey, Joanne Dru

The Big Country, Greg Peck, Burl Ives, Chuck Connors, Charlton Heston, Jeanne Simmons, Charles Bickford--a movie that has it all: cast, score, setting, storyline

The Stalking Moon, Gregory Peck; great suspense with a shadowy renegade Apache.

Winchester '73 (I'm a Winnie fan), James Stewart

Bend of the River, Stewart; for the steamboat sequences especially.

The Cowboys, J. Wayne, Roscoe Lee Brown, Slim Pickens, Bruce Dern, Colleen Dewhurst; great cast and storyline. Wayne's best, I think.

True Grit, Wayne, Kim Darby, Strothers Martin if it could be viewed without Glen Campbell.

The Shootist, Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Richard Boone, Ron Howard; poignant end of an era undertone.

Red River for the cattle drives and river crossings, where I've had some experience, and Walter Brennan. Ending's a bit corny, though.

The Good Ol' Boys, Tommy Lee Jones, Sam Shepherd, Sissy Spacek,

The Missing, another Tommy Lee Jones film; for the shootouts against the uglies.

Hud, modern with Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon de Wilde, Patricia O'Neal; ranching as less than romantic.

Running Target, another modern, Arthur Franz, Doris Dowling; Rocky Mtn. manhunt

The Rounders, a modern with Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, and Chill Wills.

Shane for Alan Ladd's premier performance, Jack Palance's pure evil.

Jubal, Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger at his typical nastiness.

Ride Beyond Vengeance, Chuck Connors for the fight scene b/n Connors and Claude Aiken.

Westward the Women, Robt. Taylor; remember being impressed as a ten year old.

Dances with Wolves and Open Range as two recent additions.

The Culpepper Cattle Company, Geoffrey Lewis gives a good performance as usual but the Gary Grimes character makes me wince.

Like watching Tom Selleck in most anything; generally preferred over Eastwood's overdone persona with the squinty eyes and snarling through your teeth thing. Like selected Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott films--two believable guys who looked like they belonged there as opposed to some of our current urban-bred actors that don't.

Some of these would be winnowed down for a Desert Island and a few might qualify for rushing back into a Burning Building. One of those would be Roughshod (1949), Robert Sterling, Myrna Dell, Gloria Grahame, John Ireland, Claude Jarman, Jr., my boyhood hero. Roughshod was one of the early Westerns to break away from what became known as the "B" cowboy pictures. Darker themed yet with a lighter touch on the side where sultry dance hall girl Gloria Grahame is teaching Claude Jarman to read. Final rifle dual in the rocks, reminiscent of Winchester '73, was well done complete with realistic echoes--one hears John Ireland's voice bouncing down the canyon after he's dead.

Just caught DVD copy of Lawman, 1971 Burt Lancaster film, excellent cast with ending that makes you think...Not Shane or Red River but sure worth a look as its been under the radar....

The ones that are under the radar are usually the best I have to check that one out as I love westerns

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned Legends of the Fall with Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt, Adrian Quinn. Great musical score, scenery, and plot that rang true up in this part of the country. Pretty complete package with authentic stage settings, costuming, and issues on a frontier in transition.

johnny guitar

Rancho Notorious

3:10 to Yuma

Man who shot liberty valence

Terror in a texas town

Forty guns

Seven men from Noon

Man from Laramie

Naked Spur

Three Godfathers

Red River

Should watch Johnny Guitar by Sterling Hyden.

Makenna's Gold by Gregory Peck and Omar Shariff,

The Fastest Gun Alive by Glenn Ford,

Branded by Alan Ladd,

The Garden of Evil by Gary Cooper and Richard Widmark

Five Card Stud Robert Taylor and Dean Martin

Bandoleros James Stewart and Dean Martin

But before all watch Johnny Guitar and John Wayne's The Searchers

Robert Mitchum NOT Robert Taylor co-starred with Dean Martim in Five Card Stud.

"johnny guitar

Rancho Notorious..."

Both of these movies are playing as a double feature at San Francisco's Castro Theatre July 16-19, 2006...

I think you mean "Seven Men From Now"...and yes, this film [which I just watched this morning] is one of the best Westerns I have seen.

The dialogue alone makes this film worth recommending - almost minimalist in nature.

Two top-quality performances by Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin [i would've liked to have seen his character face off with Scott's in a series of films].

NOTE TO FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT;Please release "THe Gunfighter",with commentary on DVD.It's not my favorite Western,"Fort Apache" is,but the Henry King directed film is in my top ten(10)list for all-time great Westerns.

For me, hands down..."The Wild Bunch".

But, someone please talk to me about "Johnny Guitar"...I love Sterling Hayden, Joan Crawford, Mercedes McCambridge, etc. However, I tried watching this once and couldn't get with it. I want to like it...help me! What do you like about it?

Does Hayden actually sing in this cult classic?

Message was edited by:

southerngirl

What is so special about JOHNNY GUITAR is that it is a bizzare western, a merely Freudian western with characters so relenless to yield or compromise their beliefs and vindicate their actions even if they are wrong.This is how the plot develops till it reaches the climax. the beauty of the film is when Ray uses the technique of color, the two women are either wearing black or white and are the acting agents; while men are clad in bright coloureful attires and turn to be the sex object persued. Johnny is an entertainer portrayed in pink color and plays a guitar to disguis his psychotic character. Vienna becomes a woman when she escapes the hanging and the change of her dress is very obvious.....

Last thing I want to mention here is that Nicholas Ray's films were not appreciated and he was hated by hollywood, however, he was vindicated thanks to french critics.For them, his works were new, complex and vital

I hope this could be helpful

Some of my favorites are: "The Professionals", "Winchester ''73", "Along Came Jones", "Once Apon A Time In The West", "Cat Ballou", "Two Rode Together" and "Stranger From Arizona".

I think "Two Rode Together" is a very underrated Western.Director John Ford allegedly called it "junk".Nice chemistry between Stewart and Widmark!

Some of my favorites: "The Wild Bunch," "The Searchers," "Shane," "Winchester '73," "Destry Rides Again," "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "Seven Men From Now," "Commanche Station," "The Far Country," "Rio Bravo," "Ulzana's Raid," "Wild Rovers."

My favorites include:

SHANE

HONDO

ANGEL AND THE BADMAN

THE PROUD REBEL

DODGE CITY

THE MAN FROM COLORADO

DESTRY RIDES AGAIN

INVITATION TO A GUNFIGHTER

VERA CRUZ

MAN OF THE WEST

THE GARDEN OF EVIL

BLOOD ON THE MOON

PURSUED

TRACK OF THE CAT

THE TALL MEN

RIO BRAVO

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

RIO GRANDE

STAGECOACH (John Ford)

THREE GODFATHERS (Wayne/Armendiarez/Carey)

THE FAR COUNTRY

THE MAN FROM LARAMIE

McCLINTOCK!

WILL PENNY

THE BIG COUNTRY

TUMBLEWEEDS (1925), THREE BAD MEN (1926), HELL'S HEROS (1930), POWDER SMOKE RIDGE (1935), also, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON , OUTLAW JOSIE WALES, UNFORGIVEN rank up there too.