Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Classic Sci-Fi

I've died and gone to movie heaven. Sunday schedule lists War of the Worlds......

Anyone familiar with an old sci-flick titled Robinson Crusoe on Mars?

Yes, a great one that's been all to hard to find for many years. Criterion just released a restored version of this movie on DVD yesterday, which is reported to be excellent. I'm planning on buying a copy today, will post my opinion on the Sci-Fi forum. Now I can finally get rid of my bootleg copy!

P.S. Mona the monkey says "Hi!"

Thanks for the info spazhoward....i'll be looking for my copy too.

Was the monkey's name Mona in that flick? well done! anyways, i happened to catch Robinson Crusoe on Mars several years back.....some rainy saturday afternoon...i loved it, have never seen it since.

The entire cast of RCOM:

Paul Mantee as Kit Draper, the castaway astronaut

Vic Lunden as Friday, the escaped alien slave who befriends him

Adam West as Dan McReady, Kit's fellow astronaut aboard Mars Gravity Probe 1. Dan is just a "redshirt" who dies early in the film, then briefly returns in a dream sequence

Mona the monkey as herself. She probably has more lines of dialog than Adam West >eep! eep!<

I saw it, twice, when it was in theaters, originally. I've also had it on laserdisc, for years. Will not pay anywhere near the list price for a DVD of it, but will most likely get it, once it lands in the bargin bin. Or maybe just wait until they HD it.

**** and John, did you mean that RCOM was avail on DVD or were you referring to War of the Worlds? (classic version, of course) I would be fast to order a copy if so......after all we -are- approaching the rainy season.....

I did not remember all the details you provided...just the chimp and i remember their search for water and his comrade dying. be great to see it again. and again. in the rain.

ps: i'll be taping the War of the Worlds on Sunday. to be sure.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) is a Criterion Collection DVD just released a couple days ago on September 18th. It retails for $40 - Amazon has it for $30.

Why tape War of the Worlds when you can get a great edition of it for around 10.00 new on DVD ?

That was another title that was a great value for the money :) ..

great movie, I wish they would do a huge box set of it with all sorts of goodies in their like a war machine toy , lobby cards,etc....

i still do alot of taping. maybe it's the deep down desire of getting a freebie. however, i do have a small collection of dvds for some special faves and rarely seen films. as you said it, the big box versions with all the background, tips, trivia, docs and special features are a real treat.

I watched the Criterion DVD of RCOM just a couple of days ago. It was great to finally be able to watch the whole thing from beginning to end without interruptions. (The Criterion laserdisc was a CAV edition, so each side had to be less than 30 minutes, therefore the movie was spread out over 3 sides). Mind you, laserdiscs were great, in the days before DVDs.

While not one of my top sci-fi films, I sure do enjoy watching it once in a while.

It's a shame that Paramount Home Video apparently never believed in the title enough to market it under its own label. The upside of that, of course, is that by re-licensing the title to Criterion, we are assured a DVD that far exceeds anything Paramount Home Video could do on its own.

good to know fatale. i didn't realize the difference that title release versions would have. learning new things here every day. anyways, i think i'll set out to get my own copy of RCOM. I have only seen it the one time....that and all the discussion here the last few days i am really bent on seeing it again.